Bonnaroo is over. The tents have been taken down, the vans packed up, and the last few drinks downed. The drum circles and drug-induced dancing have ceased. Badly sunburned college students, their cool-minded professional counterparts, and aging hippies continue to head back to the daily grind. The clean-up crew is probably still sweeping up cigarette butts and discarded toilet paper rolls as I type this.
In short, one of the key musical events of the season ended. But you know what? We’ve still got a lot of summer ahead of us. There is still so much to report apart from festivals. A slew of albums are slated for release; tours will happen; and then who knows? At the risk of sounding trite, think of this recap as the tip of the iceberg.
What more can I say? Enjoy.
– No, there’s no new Arcade Fire LP just yet, but they did release a couple of new singles this week.
– Chicago music fans are in for treat: the city will host the Sonar Festival in September.
– Lil Wayne rapped from prison.
– Dr. Dre and Jay-Z collaborated.
– And speaking of Dr. Dre, the hip-hop mastermind took Death Row Records to court.
– The Avalanches promised a new album in the near future. Yeah, you heard me: The Avalanches.
– Matador will release Interpol‘s highly anticipated self-titled LP in September.
– Muse, Ozzy Osbourne, MGMT, and Interpol lead Voodoo Experience‘s 2010 lineup.
– The owner of the CBGBs brand name declared bankruptcy.
– Eagles of Death Metal bassist Brian O’ Connor was diagnosed with cancer.
– The Nerdy Show provided us with some exclusive footage of the forthcoming Rock Band 3.
– Curious to know how Holy Fuck feels about Betty White and Twilight? Well, you’re in luck because Nicholas Comney interviewed them.
– Woodsist Festival in L.A. featured the likes of Woods, Real Estate, and Kurt Vile. Read Philip Cosores’ report here.
– Chris Coplan reviewed Drake’s long-awaited debut.
– Megan Ritt offered her thoughts on the new Chemical Brothers album titled Further.
– Check out our staff’s coverage of Bonnaroo 201o.
– As for everything else that went down the weekend of Bonnaroo, see Alex Young’s recap.
– Three words: Northside Music Festival.