Like most other folks, festival organizers decided to take some time off for the holidays. But they’re back in full force this week, as evident by the massive amount of scrolling you’re about to do. Welcome, once again, to Festivals in Brief.
This week’s most noteworthy items come in the form of rumors for the country’s biggest and baddest weekend extravaganzas. With Coachella rumored to be unveiling its 2011 lineup sometime this month, expected acts continue to trickle out early, while word in Chi-town is that Pitchfork may again score an anticipated reunion. As for a few more concrete pieces of info, Ultra, South by Southwest, Summer Camp, and the Telluride Bluegrass Festival have all made additions to their 2011 lineups in recent weeks.
– Red Hot Chili Peppers and The Strokes will headline the 2011 edition of Japan’s Summer Sonic Music Festival.
– South by Southwest confirmed even more 2011 acts, including The Boxer Rebellion, Menomena, Das Racist, Shawn Chrystopher, Sondre Lerche, James Blake, Zoroaster, and The Baseball Project, which features Steve Wynn (Dream Syndicate), Scott McCaughey (Young Fresh Fellows), Peter Buck (R.E.M.), and Linda Pitmon (Steve Wynn & the Miracle 3). Plus, you can also expect to see performances by Bright Eyes and Liz Phair.
– Robert Plant & Band of Joy, The Decemberists, The Sam Bush Band, and Béla Fleck & the Original Flecktones head Telluride Bluegrass Festival’s 2011 lineup.
– Wilco’s Solid Sound Festival will return in 2011.
– We’re giving away tickets to the first-ever Last.fm Festival. Set for January 21, 2011 in New York City, the lineup features Tokyo Police Club, Two Door Cinema Club, and Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin.
– Coachella Music Festival: Glassjaw, Sasha, GAYNGS, Fat Freddy’s Drop (Expected); The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Twin Shadow, Cults, Fujiya & Miyagi, Clare Maguire, DJ Honda (Rumored)
– South by Southwest: Added The Boxer Rebellion, Menomena, Das Racist, Shawn Chrystopher, Sondre Lerche, James Blake, Zoroaster, and The Baseball Project; Bright Eyes, Liz Phair (Expected)
– Pitchfork Music Festival: Pulp, Deerhunter (Rumored)
– Bonnaroo Music Festival: Plump DJs (Rumored)
– Ultra Music Festival: Added Armin van Buuren; Richie Hawtin presents Plastikman (Expected)
– Summer Camp: Added Bassnectar, Papadosio, Pimps of Joytime, and Yonder Mountain String Band
– Wakarusa Music Festival: Spoonfed Tribe, Zoogma (Expected)
– Solid Sound Festival: 2011 dates announced
– Summer Sonic: The Strokes, Red Hot Chili Peppers confirmed as headliners
– ATP’s I’ll Be Your Mirror (UK): Added PJ Harvey, DD/MM/YYYY, S.C.U.M.
– Groezrock: Added Dropkick Murphys, Descendents, and The Used
– Telluride Bluegrass Festival: Initial lineup announced, including Robert Plant & Band of Joy, The Decemberists, The Sam Bush Band, and Béla Fleck & the Original Flecktones
– 35 Conferette: Added Big Boi, Miami Horror, Beans, Pujol, Turbo Fruits, and more
– Snowball Festival: Official lineup announced, including Bassnectar, Pretty Lights, Local Natives, Diplo, Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeroes, Baths, and more.
– Nateva Festival: 2011 dates announced; tickets now onsale
– Wanee Music Festival: Electric Hot Tuna, Taj Mahal Trio (Expected)
– Beale Street Music Festival: Devon Allman’s Honeytribe (Expected)
– HARD Weekend NYC: Official lineup, including Simian Mobile Disco, Crystal Castles, Benga & Skream, and more
– HARD Weekend LA: Official lineup, including Simian Mobile Disco, Fake Blood, Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs, and more
– HARD Weekend Oakland: Official lineup, including Simian Mobile Disco, Fake Blood, Mumbai Science, and more