As far as star-studded tributes go, the March 26th concert in honor of Big Star arguably shines as the biggest and the brightest. Featuring the likes of Mike Mills and Michael Stipe of R.E.M., The dB’s Chris Stamey, members of Yo La Tengo and Teenage Fanclub, Matthew Sweet, Matt McMichaels, and surviving Big Star drummer Jody Stephens, the event at NYC’s Baruch College celebrated the music of the band’s “lost” album, Third. If doubters or curious fans needed proof said concert was going to be memorable, then check out the clip above of Stipe leading the bevy of talent on The Box Tops’ “The Letter”, which was one of Chilton’s biggest hits. After that, make sure to head over to SlicingUpEyeballs.com to check out other videos from that night, including Stipe’s rendition of “Kangaroo” and McMichaels doing The Replacements’ “Alex Chilton”.
Watch: R.E.M., Yo La Tengo, Teenage Fanclub honor Big Star
by Chris Coplan
on March 28, 2011, 4:30pm
Want more? Follow us on
- 1Beyoncé and Disturbed will face off for Best Rock Performance at the 2017 Grammys
- 2Grammys 2017: Who Will Win, Who Should Win
- 3Fiona Apple roasts Donald Trump in new Christmas song -- watch
- 4Ryan Adams announces new album, Prisoner, shares first single "Do You Still Love Me?" -- listen
- 5Kid Rock is now selling pro-Trump merchandise
- 1Snoop Dogg responds to Kanye West's latest on-stage meltdown: "What the fuck is he on?”
- 2Top 50 Albums of 2016
- 3Kanye West fully intends to run for president in 2020: "I’m going to try to do it"
- 4Napoleon Dynamite cast reunites for Burger King tater tots commercial -- watch
- 5The 100 Greatest Singers of All Time