As far as star-studded tributes go, the March 26th concert in honor of Big Star arguably shines as the biggest and the brightest. Featuring the likes of Mike Mills and Michael Stipe of R.E.M., The dB’s Chris Stamey, members of Yo La Tengo and Teenage Fanclub, Matthew Sweet, Matt McMichaels, and surviving Big Star drummer Jody Stephens, the event at NYC’s Baruch College celebrated the music of the band’s “lost” album, Third. If doubters or curious fans needed proof said concert was going to be memorable, then check out the clip above of Stipe leading the bevy of talent on The Box Tops’ “The Letter”, which was one of Chilton’s biggest hits. After that, make sure to head over to SlicingUpEyeballs.com to check out other videos from that night, including Stipe’s rendition of “Kangaroo” and McMichaels doing The Replacements’ “Alex Chilton”.
Watch: R.E.M., Yo La Tengo, Teenage Fanclub honor Big Star
by Chris Coplan
on March 28, 2011, 4:30pm
Want more? Follow us on
- 1Ranking: Every Pearl Jam Album from Worst to Best
- 2Fox News calls Red Hot Chili Peppers "the worst band on the planet"
- 3Now you can turn those old concert ticket stubs into floor mats
- 4Fox News continues its vicious assault against Red Hot Chili Peppers
- 5That "cunt" Morrissey kicks dirt on David Bowie's grave
- 1Jared Leto is so unhappy with Suicide Squad that he hasn't even seen it
- 2Going to concerts regularly leads to a happier life, according to a new study
- 3Frances Bean Cobain makes her music debut -- covering Jimmy Eat World
- 4Frank Ocean releases album Blonde -- Stream/download
- 5Stranger Things was rejected by 15 to 20 networks before landing on Netflix