Festival CoverageFestival News and RumorsHotNews

Lollapalooza’s 2011 Lineup: 24 Hours Later

on April 27, 2011, 1:45am

lollapalooza 260x260 Lollapaloozas 2011 Lineup: 24 Hours LaterIt’s fitting that the day the Lollapalooza lineup hits, it’s muggy in Chicago. It’s sort of a reminder of the sticky chaos that’s sure to come in August: the days where an icy bottle of water sounds more intriguing than a stack of ones, the moments where you’re deciding if your legs can trek the half a mile or so across the park one last time (all for an indie act you’ve only “heard” about), or the hours spent debating new-found friends on the CTA over what headliner will draw the most. Yeah, it’s nearly summer in Chicago, and you almost have to cover your eyes at the nasty glares coming from Perry Farrell’s rich, gold suit. Already.

So, it’s out. The third entry in The Big Four – that is, Coachella, Bonnaroo, Lollapalooza, and Austin City Limits – is here for our reading pleasure. Some of you have already raced to Facebook, the comments section here, the Lolla board, or your wilted notebook resting on your nightstand to gripe, complain, and tear it apart. That’s only natural of any raging internet fanatic – we’ve been there, you can tell. But, as with anything that tugs at the emotional heartstrings, you need to take some time out, smother yourself in ice cubes, and/or go through a pack of Camel Lights. Just relax. Then, take a look at it again.

As usual, it’s a pretty solid lineup. ::avoids the rotten tomatoes:: No, no, no. Be fair, be fair. Look at it closely: There’s an impressive undercard to flirt with, a sparkly group of headliners that won’t disappoint (regardless if they’re repeats or unsurprising), and the expansion to Perry’s Stage can only add to the already drunken, dreamy weekend for many a festivalgoer. Just a quick scan through the lineup hints at a thrifty three-day extravaganza. It’s hard to believe with so many hot mid-day acts (i.e. The Mountain Goats, Lykke Li, Explosions in the Sky) and a series of highly requested reunions (e.g. Big Audio Dynamite, The Cars, Death From Above 1979) that anyone would be bored or wandering around sad. Plus, and here’s something everyone seems to be forgetting, you’re still in one of the best goddamn cities in the world – the gem next to the lake. Yeah.

Still, there are things left to be said…

-Michael Roffman
President/Editor-in-Chief

'

Boomdizzle
May 3, 2011 at 1:09 am

Get To Know section should include Friendly Fires, they went relatively unnoticed a couple of years ago at Lolla yet killed their show. They’ll be just as amazing this year.

Crystal Castles lookin good too.

P.S anyone who thinks the lineup is shit can just sell their tickets and not go. I’m sure there’s plenty of folks who will want to go to a festival that’s been on a hot streak over the past 3 years

joe
April 28, 2011 at 6:06 am

North Coast was WEAK. I regret wasting my money

duder
April 28, 2011 at 1:48 am

North Coast Music Festival will crush all. It’s an independently run festival that other festivals seem to be copying with booking more and more electronic. NCMF was more fun than any other fest in Chicago last year and it was just their first year…it can only get better.

Laggy
April 27, 2011 at 11:55 pm

This line-up feels like it was custom tailored for me… APC and Deftones are 2 of my favorite bands. Then the Kills, DFA 1979, Muse, Ratatat, Crystal Castles, My Morning Jacket… and then Modeselektor, Bloody Beetroots, Pretty Lights, and Glitch Mob on Perry’s stage?
Too damn good for me to pass up.
Plus this could be my only chance ever to catch bands like APC, DFA, and the Kills..
I’m selling my Bonnaroo ticket and going to Lolla.

word up
April 28, 2011 at 3:10 am

thats what I’m talking about laggy. This lineup is sweet! I can’t wait for august

Honestgap
April 27, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Hangout Festival. mmmmmm.

Michael Roffman
April 27, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Yeah, you need to calm down. There’s no Coachella bashing in place here. Take a look at the evidence. This year’s incarnation alone: Arcade Fire, The Strokes, Kings of Leon. It’s just a part of the clustered market. Jeez.

Optional: Link to your website
April 28, 2011 at 12:24 am

True. Not that these lineups suck, but tere really needs to be less festivals to bring back that special something that differentiates them all. I’d like to see a few of them die off, like the new ones that keep popping up in every corner of the USA. Time will tell. The economy is getting better so people are spending money. It remains to be seen if the interest in festivals with mostly indie/alternative bands are just a trend. Half the kids I know that go just go because it’s a giant party to them anyway.

Alex Young
April 28, 2011 at 2:36 am

At least how I see it: If you put together enough of a main stream friendly lineup (in other words, you book Kings of Leon, Foo Fighters, Eminem, Coldplay, etc.), you’re automatically going to sell out. People want to get the biggest bang out of their buck and the vast majority of the country like these “bigger” bands. So as long as they sell out, these are the type of lineups you’ll be getting. It’s all business.

Alex Young
April 27, 2011 at 9:34 pm

It wasn’t a jab, rather a realistic prediction. They’ll have a new album out by next Coachella. Why couldn’t they be next year’s Kings of Leon?

Dan_bejarano
April 27, 2011 at 8:19 pm

I am in love with this impassioned plea for acceptance of this year’s lineup. Sure, haters are gonna hate but the rest of us will have FUN until its WAY too late.

*girlish laugh*

See you in August.

Ferrara
April 27, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Coachella>Lolla…again

zatzbatz
April 27, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I think this lineup is really amazing, as long as you already live in Chicago. If I lived in Chicago I would be excited about it.

Taylor Lautnoir
April 27, 2011 at 7:03 pm

I want to reply to Mr. Roffman below but cannot do so under his post because the reply button is not working.

Mr. Roffman, I respect your love of Chicago and apologize for being unfairly harsh on your writing the other day. Please realize that when you live on the other side of the country, sometimes these festivals just don’t look as good to an outsider whose experienced more convenient festival logistics and lineups more tailored to his or her liking.

I read this site every day so obviously you’re providing quality up to date music news I enjoy reading. I know music fans are passionate to the point of slamming others verbally in these instances, but please accept this post as my apology for being harsh on your criticism yesterday. You’re welcome to your opinion and the last thing I want to do is offend yours and how you add something to the daily music news beat. Let’s let cooler heads prevail and not let this forum drop down to the epic levels of Coachella board proportions.

PS Whatever happened to Philip Cosores? I miss his reviews in particular.

Michael Roffman
April 27, 2011 at 6:16 pm

I don’t really see how you wouldn’t peg ACL and Lolla as destination festivals. They’re in the heart of two of the country’s more popular cities, and they celebrate that year after year. So, because you can’t camp at Lollapalooza/ACL and it’s hot/expensive for hotels, it doesn’t count?

Dan
April 27, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I don’t understand your comments about Kanye. He’s one of the innovator’s of hip-hop nowadays. Everyone else is regurgitating the same old crap from the 2000s while Kanye is changing the game. Most people I know who are considered rock fans before hip-hop still have mad respect for artists like Kanye and Kid Cudi. Listen deeper to the music. Sure, if you are basing that statement off hearing “Goldigger” at every party you go to, then sure you could say that. It’s one song though. He’s one of the best entertainers in the game right now, and that is why he gets so much rep from blogs like this.

bludevil007
April 27, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Coachella still best lineup of the U.S. fesitval circuit thus far. Sorry.

Hope ACL can pull off a stunner.

Cris
April 27, 2011 at 5:41 pm

I’d take Lollapalooza 2004 (When it was still traveling) over this year’s lineup any day of the week:

Day 1: Morrissey, Sonic Youth, PJ Harvey, Le Tigre, Modest Mouse, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, the Von Bondies, Broken Social Scene, the Walkmen, Wolf Eyes, Danger Mouse, the Datsuns, Sparta, DJ Peretz
Day 2: String Cheese Incident, The Pixies, Flaming Lips, Gomez, Polyphonic Spree, the Thrills, Fire Theft, the Coup, Sound Tribe Sector 9, Elbow, Wheat, Wilco, DJ Peretz

Too bad it got canceled due to poor ticket sales. I can’t believe we as music fans failed so horribly at supporting that. Something tells me that lineup would have gone over pretty well in this day in age. My how trends have changed. I still have my unused ticket and shed a tear around this time of year whenever I remember what could have been….