CoS Exclusive FeaturesHotList 'Em Carefully

List ‘Em Carefully: My Top 13 Metal Albums, 2000-2010

on July 27, 2011, 7:21pm

leclogo1 260x260 List Em Carefully: My Top 13 Metal Albums, 2000 20102011 is coming to its halfway mark already, and suffice it to say, we rock fans anticipate some heavy hitters on deck: Soundgarden and A Perfect Circle have reunited, both with respective circulating stories surrounding new material; Rammstein are finally touring their “once in a lifetime” sets for us North Americans; 3 of the “Big 4″ touted Jagermeister’s banner last year; Mastodon and Liturgy are, in varying ways, experimenting with the metal medium as we know it; Disturbed and Machine Head are returning to the Mayhem Festival bill for its fourth year, booking Megadeth and Sweden’s own In Flames as supporting acts.

This is phenomenal news. We in the hard rock categories–despite Clear Channel radio–are vying for major support and getting it by all means. What’s a moshin’ kid to do? Who do we root for? The progressives? The ol’ school thrashers? How about speed or thematic metal? You would think we have been enveloped by spikes and sweaty concert tees all for naught. The sad truth is, no one could effortlessly peddle 13 albums encompassing the past 10 years; misses were made, but in retrospect, ’tis still a labor of love.

Please note that this list is in no particular order or sequence of any kind, I merely winged it and tweaked when necessary. To Static-X, Slipknot, Type O Negative, Amon Amarth, Borean Dusk, and otherwise noteworthy bands that did not make the list — feel free to crucify me later, it was not meant personally. Love me or hate me, letters to the usual address (that goes to our Comments section, too).

Meanwhile, as I replay my copy of Iowa for the 1,000,000th time…

…the following is a tiny audio assortment I personally thrive on with my car’s shitty stereo, my computer’s shittier speakers, and my iPod’s blessed earphone jack. One-half egotistical, one-half introductory–from the turn of the millennium to last New Year’s–this is a testament to the tunes I head-bang or wax poetic alongside, a list which noticeably consists almost entirely of CDs this site has not reviewed (go figure). [For a handy reference to any of the below, check out the Map of Metal.]

The hard rock lives on, and should you want to square off with yours truly for a rough tumble in the dirt, meet me at Mayhem 2011 in Raleigh, NC next week. I might be inclined to have a beer with you, shoot the shit at where I went wrong, or something else degrading for the sake of putting rears in the audience.

Nothing on film, though. That’s my word.

-David Buchanan
Senior Staff Writer

ivan
February 3, 2013 at 5:15 am

Interesting list but Metallica and Slayer do not belong here – even
though I am big Metallica fan they shouldn’t be here just because of
their name

Jamestlacy
July 29, 2011 at 3:51 pm

GREAT CHOICE ON white pony #1.

vargo05
July 29, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Not bad.  Some stuff I don’t/won’t listen to.  Others I love.  My list would include the following:

Tool – Lateralus
Mastodon – Crack the Skye
Deftones – White Pony
Melvins – A Senile Animal
Tomahawk – Self-titled
Big Business – Here Come the Waterworks
Gojira – From Mars to Sirius
Will Haven – Carpe Diem

vargo05
July 29, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Forgot one

Baroness – Blue Record

Justin Rector
July 29, 2011 at 2:56 am

Pretty fair list, actually. The ONLY album I could think of that would have been deserving, and this is just my personal taste, was System of a Down’s Toxicity. Otherwise, great list!

David Buchanan
July 29, 2011 at 2:10 am

In my opinion, their so-called “low point” was the point where they drove the sudden taste for anti-government Bush-bashing into the ground.

This is why KMFDM will always trump them on that front — a piece here and there, swathed in phenomenal industrial work. WWIII, for the win. There are bands whose sole purpose IS political rage (i.e., RATM), but that’s their front, and they make it work to their advantage from square one.

“AnnA” is a landmark for reasons outside the typical scope, but I do agree Houses Of The Mole had a certain…something.

Stefan
July 29, 2011 at 12:58 am

Yeah, but as much as including Pantera on a best of metal list feels right… Reinventing the Steel kinda sucked. I think “Death Rattle” is an apt song title for that album. RIP Dimebag. And try not to die Phil (and while your trying not to do dissapointing things, try not to be so racist either. K thanx.)

David Buchanan
July 29, 2011 at 1:11 am

Seconded.

Stefan
July 29, 2011 at 12:49 am

Death Magnetic and White Pony? Yikes. I’d substitute in Bison BC’s “Dark Ages” and if we’re counting the Deftones as Metal (we aren’t counting the Deftones as Metal, but for the sake of some ridiculous oversight and sillyness that we are counting the Deftones as Metal (oops!)) I would replace them with either Black Mountain’s Self Titled or “In the Future”.

David Buchanan
July 29, 2011 at 1:10 am

The classification for Deftones was “nu-metal”, and I needed a representative that showed both its peaks and its evolution over time. Hence, their landmark LP.

I’ve never heard of Bison BC, though — I need to check that out.

Stefan
July 29, 2011 at 1:27 am

They’re a canadian band signed to Metal Blade. Amazing live show if you get the chance to see ‘em.

Stefan
July 29, 2011 at 1:36 am

Can’t we all just try to forget “nu-metal”? Not to compare Nu-Metal to world wide atrocities, but I’d like to compare Nu-Metal to  world wide atrocities, especially those that are definitely more than a little taboo to mention in any positive manner in our society. Can we add Nu-metal to that list.

I don’t know if I’d personally classify Deftones as Nu-Metal. They did come out ’round that Korn and Bizkit frenzy, but I think they were a little more fluid and scuzzy and a little less start-n’-stoppy and rappy then what I see as Nu-Metal.

Oh nu-metal, you terrible devil you!

David Buchanan
July 29, 2011 at 2:14 am

As much as KoRn has let me down the past few years, I can’t deny their point of origin, because I lived it. Besides, I’ve seen worse things come from the spawning of post-grunge or Top 40 modern rock lately, and even I have to acknowledge that garbage.

At least we aren’t discussing Hinder (cringes).

vargo05
July 29, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I’ve never been able to lump Deftones in with Korn or Bizkit.  There’s way more authenticity to what they’ve done, actual singing, very little “rappy-vocals”, true musicianship, etc.  And just the ultimate proof of them not being “nu-metal”, they’re still around.  They haven’t changed that much from White Pony and they’re still going strong.  Same can’t be said for Korn, Bizkit, and Linkin Park.  Just because Chino and the others in the band have confessed their love of hip-hop and the influence it’s had on them, doesn’t make them “nu-metal”.

Butcha Oats
July 29, 2011 at 12:25 am

Okay, in all seriousness, where are:
GOJIRA, ARCH ENEMY(WAGES OF FUCKING SIN!!!),
or even MAYHEM’S Grand Declaration of War?

Stefan
July 29, 2011 at 1:03 am

Or Wages of Mayhem’s “Sin’s Arch Enemy of War”!!!!!!!!!!!???????

Metal names.

Paul de Revere
July 28, 2011 at 10:37 pm

This is his *personal favorites*, metal nerds. (Note: I am, or was, actually, a metal nerd.)

Calm down.

The “My Top” portion of the headline there means personal preference. Now if he titled it “The Greatest” or whatever, feel free to take deeper issue.

That said:

No love for Shadows Fall’s “The War Within”? One of Dillinger Escape Plan’s brilliant releases, like the “Irony Is a Dead Scene” EP with Mike Patton?

Certainly, if you can include Tool/Isis and as heavy you do on progressive metal here, surely you can include an entry for NEUROSIS, dude. I mean, come on. NEUROSIS. m/

Btw, thanks for updating me on where Tosin Abasi has been, btw. I was huge fan of Reflux back in the day. I didn’t know he had a new project. It sounds pretty darn good.

David Buchanan
July 29, 2011 at 1:08 am

On personal preference, DEP never sat right with me, though I generally applaud anything Patton gets involved with otherwise (signing The The = genius). As for Shadows Fall, in my opinion, severely overrated.

Thanks for the Neurosis, I’ve been meaning to dig them up again, and for Abasi, you’re very welcome.

David Buchanan
July 28, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Psalm 69 = 1992

Chip
July 28, 2011 at 8:35 pm

It was a happier time for metal than when St. Anger came out.

July 28, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Death Magnet? Deftones?  No Melvins?  No Sleep?  You need to buy the first four Black Sabbath records and give them a listen.  It is obvious that you have never heard them.

Michael Roffman
July 28, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Did Black Sabbath release anything between 2000-2010? I’d check their Wiki just to make sure, but I’m 100% certain they didn’t.

July 28, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I never said put them on the list.  I said listen to them.

Michael Roffman
July 28, 2011 at 8:41 pm

I’m pretty sure Mr. Buchanan digs ‘em. But, I’ll let him know about the band.

David Buchanan
July 28, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I know, right? Thanks for that recommendation. While I’m at it, let me see what this codswallop called Zeppelin’s all about. I’m sure it’s really keen!

David Buchanan
July 28, 2011 at 8:46 pm

#1 – The Melvins’ output pre-2000 surpasses current waves by miles, though they’re definitely top notch.
#2 – Team Sleep is not metal, and the band Sleep was defunct prior to 2000 (overdone posthumous release Dopesmoker notwithstanding).
#3 – Where the fuck does Black Sabbath get included in this?

Sincerely yours,
Houdini the Honky Prick (See what I did there?)

kirkdiedrich
July 28, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Or ANYTHING from High On Fire?  BS.

kirkdiedrich
July 28, 2011 at 4:12 pm

How is The Melvins (a) senile animal not in this list?

Tom G
July 28, 2011 at 3:31 am

Cave In – Jupiter tops them all.

tim peters
July 28, 2011 at 1:55 am

I went to Mayhem Fest in 2008 as a fan of Slipknot, Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch, etc etc.  I also saw and heard Mastodon for the first time. Getting to the point, Mastodon is the only band a part of that tour that I can stay I still listen to and keep up with.

JJ
July 28, 2011 at 1:53 am

He did say it was his “13” favorite metal albums. I am also surprised that older albums or bands aren’t listed. Regardless, props for branching out

tim peters
July 28, 2011 at 1:53 am

he did say it was albums from ’00-’10

JJ
July 28, 2011 at 1:39 pm

I realized that after I posted my remark

JJ
July 28, 2011 at 1:54 am

My bad, I didn’t read the time period. I just glanced at your choices. Well that was stupid.

whoreshack
July 27, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Worst list in the history of lists.  Did you throw darts at your CD rack?  Death Magnetic, really?  The Slayer, Mastodon & Ministry records weren’t even close to those bands best work.  And to put two bands at one number rank is just a lame cop-out.  Call it  ”13 albums I like to play.”