CoS Exclusive FeaturesHot

Lemme Get an Encore: Blink-182

on August 03, 2011, 12:07pm

blink 182 Lemme Get an Encore: Blink 182

Hey, everyone: Blink-182 is back! Sort of. If you’ve been reading your music news lately, you would know that Blink is kicking off a massive tour, promoting new material, and releasing singles. (I have to admit that “Up All Night” is cool, though it’s like Angels & Airwaves had a child with +44.). The best part of all this, however, is the aforementioned tour.

During my youth, and I don’t think I’m alone, Blink-182 was the band everyone loved or loved to hate. If you were the former, you had no problem sporting the t-shirts, trying to play pop-punk, and knowing all the words. If you were the latter, well, you talked a lot of shit, but still listened to Dude Ranch when your friends weren’t around. Nowadays, though, it seems that Blink-182 has evolved from everybody’s favorite punk band to something of a musical icon. It’s just a shame this isn’t 2002.

When Blink-182 toured years ago, they played oodles of their material, but in the recent years, they have focused on fresher tracks. Not that it matters, because when they do bust out the classics, the twentysomethings in the crowd go bonkers with nostalgia. But what about the oldies? Have they forgotten (or not realized) 1994’s Cheshire Cat is an amazing achievement? Fans will no doubt attend their shows and go hoarse singing along, but that doesn’t mean we wouldn’t want to hear “M+M’s”.

Dan
August 4, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I don’t remember ever mentioning anything about them being super talented.  They really aren’t, I agree with you (besides maybe Travis), but it’s fun music.  I don’t listen to any top 40 music for the most part nowadays.  I’m not sure when you grew up, but when Blink was around in my childhood, there was barely internet, certainly not advanced enough to be finding and downloading music.  I was recording songs off the radio to VHS tapes, and my first CD didn’t come around until 6th or 7th grade.  How was someone back then supposed to be introduced to anything besides top 40.  Unless you had some nerdy friend who spent his whole childhood looking for new music and sharing it with you (or if you were that nerdy kid), then top 40 was pretty much all you heard.  Well, I shouldnt say top 40, but whatever the local alternative station played. Like I said, I don’t look back and think, man were these guys talented, but even to this day, it puts a smile on my face every time one of their older songs comes on the radio or at a party.  Just because you grow up and your tastes become more matured and eclectic doesn’t meant you have to abandon your childhood.

Stefan
August 4, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Dan it sounds like you get how a “Lemme Get An Encore” piece works better than the staff get how it should work. I don’t like these guys (Blink), but “hell yeah!” to recording music onto VHS (VHS!). Sounds like you know how nostalgia works. I am being serious in saying that despite our musical differences, I completely enjoyed your comment and feel it is infinitely better than everything the guy wrote in a gazillion pages above. I have some bands in my past that I am very okay with saying “I do not like that type of thing at all now”, but because it makes me remember recording music with my VHS player, I will give it props for nostalgia’s sake and I will even listen to it still to this day, not because I don’t know what good music is, but because of the memories (which I should be entertainingly and engagingly telling you if I am a staff writer for “Lemme Get An Encore”.)

Thanks Dan!

Dan
August 4, 2011 at 5:47 pm

You hit it on the head.  That is exaclty what I was trying to say.  Some music is just entertaining for the sake of being entertaining, and that is especially true when it reminds you of the good ole days.  Thanks for the reply Stefan.

Stefan
August 4, 2011 at 1:24 pm

My beef with these “Lemme Get An Encore” pieces is that they don’t ever admit that this stuff isn’t anything more than Nostalgiac. They become about hyping the current incarnation of the band rather than maybe giving the readers who loved or hated the band some interesting writing and stories surrounding the music many of us grew up with (for better or for worse). Instead it’s always, “Out Come The Fanboys!”. Or hell. just be fanboys and do away with hiding behind the Nostalgia Factor, cause clearly this piece reads more like this dude is excited to hear these tunes not out of nostalgia, but because he still LOVES ‘EM!

Seriously, to throw around the statement “the band everyone loved or hated” in 2011(!) is absurd. It completely implies these guys had musical meritt that some of us just weren’t “getting”. You were either hip to the immature jig and knew about good music or you were an ignorant 12 year old who liked all the dick talk and catchy fast stuff. Ain’t no shame in admitting you were oblivious to music (besides the top 40) in your younger years.

Michael Roffman
August 4, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I don’t really get your argument at all. The point of this piece is to discuss deep cuts they haven’t placed in set lists in awhile, or if ever. That’s been the case for each Encore series.

Stefan
August 4, 2011 at 2:50 pm

The tag on the main page says “Nostalgic tracks for Nostalgia’s sake”. And I know what the “point” of these pieces are. Don’t blame me for thinking that, “hey this might be a fun read, as I am 28 years old and grew up with this horrible music, but non the less hung out with some very fine people who liked this horrible music and we all had some pretty great times despite the horrible music being blasted from pick up trucks in the background. This could be fun and a fine bonding session with the internet”. This guy says we will discuss the tracks for Nostalgia’s Sake (what a great sake!). Except he is deciding to discuss the tracks becuase of Blink-182’s Still Got It’s sake (a very bad sake). At the very least let us just be honest with one another (the internet and the audience) about whose sake is being discussed and not pretend that we are going down memory lane when really we (this Ted guy) are talking about a band that came out 15 years ago and has apparently remained musically relevant and “good” and should play some deeper cuts at their concert. Tell me why they should Ted! Tell me why for the sake of nostalgia they should do so (I mean you kinda promised me this on the Main page (Home page?). He just talks about the how awesome the songs are without any (or supremely minimal) historical, cultural, and personal context.

Please reconsider my argument. Thanks!

Michael Roffman
August 4, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Not so much reconsidering your “argument” or whatever you want to call it, but I do feel you’re thinking too much into this. You’re taking his tagline at the front and parading around an idea that just isn’t there. As I stated, “The point of this piece is to discuss deep cuts they haven’t placed in set lists in awhile, or if ever.” But, if you want to get hung up on the tagline, I don’t know what to tell you. The band is steeped in nostalgia because they are returning after a long hiatus, so naturally nostalgia plays into this. However, the core idea is to discuss tracks that we want to hear again. If you don’t want to read the piece, you really don’t have to, Stefan.

Thanks!

Michael Roffman
August 4, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Side note: Every one of your posts, when cut down, have to do with your incessant need to let us know about the quality of music. My advice: If you don’t like the band, don’t read it.

Stefan
August 4, 2011 at 8:42 pm

But if you put it in the perspective that I read most of the articles, then I’m only dogging on y’all like 2% of the time. And I will point out that I have quite a number of “Sweet!”, “Great Review!”, “Thanks for the news!” type comments on here too. The whole comment thing is what makes this site great at times. I mean usually I wouldn’t even bother to read a Blink-182 article, but the comments sucked me in. Who knows where that will pay off down the line. Maybe I’ll even read your next Yellow Card or Good Charlotte review with all intents of commenting only to find out I love them. Probably.

Anyways, the fact that I read this site everyday means I’m here cause I like it in general. Thanks for the 98% of overall goodness each day. And thanks for calling me a scholar!

Stefan
August 4, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Okay your right. I had presumed based off of the Incubus and Blink 182 entries that perhaps you all had placed a self imposed restriction on what type bands you were gonna write about, but I guess ANY band could have been chosen. Those are the OBVIOUS choices, so whoops on me.

Also, Blink-182 “steeped in nostalgia”? Very steeped, 15 years steeped! Practically an institution, I’m sure.

Michael Roffman
August 4, 2011 at 7:27 pm

As someone who’s a scholar in sarcasm, I applaud you. Bravo, Stefan. I paint the streets with your name. Haha.

J.christian
August 3, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Why???????

Israel Beach
August 3, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I never liked Blink and unless they magically became good musicians in the past couple of years I still don’t.

Dan
August 3, 2011 at 8:43 pm

If you don’t like them, why would you even read the article or comment? Just to be an asshole?  If you can’t find fun in their music, then I pity you.