Cedric Bixler-Zavala and Mike Watt announce super group, Anywhere

on September 22, 2011, 5:16pm

anywhere Cedric Bixler Zavala and Mike Watt announce super group, Anywhere

Legendary punk bassist Mike Watt (of Minutemen and Firehouse fame) has joined forces with The Mars Volta frontman Cedric-Bixler Zavala to form a bona fide super group called Anywhere. Despite there being a Mars Volta record primed and ready for release in 2012, and Mike Watt serving as acting live bassist for Iggy Pop and the Stooges on their recently rescheduled tour, the pair found time to sit down and record a 7″ entitled Pyramid Mirrors.

Ready for the crazy part? Bixler-Zavala won’t even be handling vocals. While Watt will be on his native bass guitar, Bixler- Zavala will pull a Jack White and jump behind the drum kit on this project, leaving the vocals to ex-Sleepy Sun singer Rachel Fannan. The three aforementioned musicians will be joined on guitar by Christian Eric Beaulieu, guitarist for Triclops!, a Bay Area acid punk band (via Antiquet).

Artwork and a tracklist are forthcoming, but the 7″ is available for pre-order. However, it will be limited to 500 copies, so if you really want one, we suggest you click here before all the fanatics get there first.

Guest
April 26, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Maybe I’m aurally hallucinating, but isn’t that Cedric singing on “Anywhere”?

Abraham Hernandez
September 24, 2011 at 6:52 pm

“Legendary punk bassist Mike Watt (of Minutemen and Firehouse fame)”
It’s Firehose not firehouse

seriously?
September 24, 2011 at 6:18 pm

What’s wrong with you people? This isn’t about the Mars Volta being good or bad live. This is a studio project, with Cedric playing drums alongside 3 completely different people… therefore making this new project have almost nothing to do with anything the Mars Volta have done, ever.

Vincentvega803
September 23, 2011 at 9:07 pm

your all fucking retarded, volta is the shit. yeah their live show sucked when they toured de-loused but you get your asses out to a volta show when they come around now theyve been killing it. i offer up hammerstein ballrom 2008, roseland 2009, bonnaroo 09 as prime examples of them at the top of their game

Rollins
October 15, 2011 at 3:54 am

Vincentvega803: When calling people retarded, please use the proper “you’re” instead of “your.” Retard.

Stefan
September 23, 2011 at 6:17 am

Some bands just can’t handle their drugs, or possibly do unimaginable quantities of drugs (I think the latter for TMV).

Youtube their performance at Sasquatch a few years ago. That’s pretty much the way I’ve seen ‘em the other 3 times I’ve caught them. A mess, and not in a cool way.

Mjpfot
September 22, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Normally I don’t comment, but I just cannot resist… NO member of the The Mars Volta will ever be worthy of being in a “bona fide supergroup.” Wost live show ever.  Of course this article comes from the guy who hated EVERYTHING about ACL last weekend.  Go work for Pitchfork… I think they’re more in line with your shitty taste in music.

Winston Robbins
September 23, 2011 at 12:58 am

I don’t remember hating anything about ACL, other than the stage TVOTR was on…

Mjpfot
September 23, 2011 at 3:37 am

RE: Foster the People: “All in all the band’s performance lacked character.”

RE: Kanye: “And while he may have fallen short at times in achieving the exact
perfection he was going for (a mic-cutting plague, a few twinges of
prima donna, and a healthy dose of awkward stage banter were largely to
blame)”

RE: The Antlers: “And even that earlier track (“Kettering”), sounded very much like their new era sound, which is in no way a complaint.”

RE: The Airborne Toxic Event: “I was a bit stunned initially by the whopping-ly low 1.6/10 rating given
by Pitchfork to The Airborne Toxic Event’s debut album. But now I
totally get it.”

RE: Fleet Foxes: “…this one was vastly different from the others – which is in no way a compliment.”

RE: Empire of the Sun: “get back in the studio and give it another go.”

And I’m sorry to dog on you personally, but I guess I was just turned off by the negativity of the review in general (I guess I should read more closely, I was under the impression that you had written the entire article, mea culpa).  And I get pissed when people try to pretend that The Mars Volta doesn’t suck… I’ve given them two chances and they’ve disappointed at each.