“This city’s lost its hope,” Coheed and Cambria frontman Claudio Sanchez whispers on “Deranged”, just one of 12 original cuts for the upcoming Batman game, Arkham City. The follow-up to 2009′s critical and commercial juggernaut Arkham Asylum, the new game pits Batman against an entire city of deranged criminals in a very John Carpenter-esque storyline (think: Escape from New York). To hype the multi-platform game, several artists have come on board for the companion album, including The Duke Spirit, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, and, as heard here, Coheed and Cambria.
“I write in a very conceptual format with the stories that surround Coheed and Cambria,” Sanchez explains on behalf of the dark cinematic anthem, “but Batman has a much larger, defined history and rules that go along with it. My goal was to find universal themes from Batman’s existing history to help give the lyrics legs and dimension so that the song could live within that world.”
Check out the stream below (via IGN), and pick up Arkham City – The Album on October 4th. Fans might want to opt for the Collector’s Edition instead, as it includes some downloadable content and a bonus track by A Place to Bury Strangers. As for the game itself, Arkham City hits streets October 18th.
Batman: Arkham City – The Album Tracklist:
01. Panic! At The Disco – Mercenary
02. Coheed and Cambria – Deranged
03. The Duke Spirit – Creature
04. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club – Shadow On The Run
05. Blaqk Audio – Afterdark
06. The Raveonettes – Oh, Stranger
07. ††† (Crosses) – The Years
08. The Damned Things – Trophy Widow
09. Daughtry – Drown In You
10. The Boxer Rebellion – Losing You
11. Serj Tankian – Total Paranoia
12. A Place to Bury Strangers – In The Shadow (Bonus)