New MusicNews

Check Out: Jack White covers U2's "Love is Blindness"

on October 10, 2011, 6:30pm

u2 covers Check Out: Jack White covers U2's "Love is Blindness"

On October 31st, U2‘s highly acclaimed 1991 LP, Achtung Baby, will be reissued. To celebrate, Q Magazine has put together one hell of a tribute album, featuring everyone from Depeche Mode to Patti Smith to Jack White offering covers off the album. Today, White’s inclusion of “Love Is Blindness” debuted on BBC Radio 2, and true to the man’s style, it’s layered in Delta blues bliss, leaving little evidence of everyone’s favorite Irish arena rockers. Give it a spin below (via Interference).

And for context’s sake, here’s what the original version sounds like:

AHK-toong BAY-bi Covered Tracklist:
01. Nine Inch Nails – Zoo Station
02. U2 (Jacques Lu Cont Mix) – Even Better Than The Real Thing
03. Damien Rice – One
04. Patti Smith – Until The End Of The World
05. Garbage – Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
06. Depeche Mode – So Cruel
07. Snow Patrol – Mysterious Ways
08. The Fray – Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World
09. Gavin Friday – The Fly
10. The Killers – Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
11. Glasvegas – Acrobat
12. Jack White – Love Is Blindness

'

Mattgodin2009
February 10, 2012 at 10:13 pm

waste!?!?! millions of people world wide would beg to differ…..

Thomas Raimbault
October 26, 2011 at 9:36 am

exceptionnal cover

mike
October 13, 2011 at 10:27 am

great cover  Love the original and – as with most songs that close U2 albums- it was deliberately a low tempo & reserved effort  In the end both are great and the lyrics are fantastic

October 12, 2011 at 9:04 pm

There’s nothing wrong with saying that a cover is better than the original. Bono himself is quoted on Q magazine as saying that he thinks some of the cover versions of these songs are better than the originals. It was very big of him to say so, and I would bet that this is one of the songs that he had in mind with that comment. The original was quite good, to be sure. But this cover version is the most powerful, explosive, and heart-wrenching piece of music I’ve heard in years.

Totifh
October 11, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Bloody Great

Carmen_boling
October 11, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Intense and nothing but Love!

Sam Majeske
October 11, 2011 at 1:59 pm

What a bitch you are.

October 11, 2011 at 7:05 am

Oh, and saying that Jack White is “much more a guitarist than a singer” is like saying that Jerry Lee Lewis is much more a pianist than a singer. He’s kinda like BOTH, don’tcha know. Especially on songs like Blue Veins, or Conquest, or Girl You Have No Faith In Medicine – or Bang Bang, which I mentioned below – he transcends mere singing and overpowers the listener with what can only be called vocal sorcery. If all you want is some mildly pleasant crooning – well, I guess he can do that too, but his real forte in singing is in blowing your brains out through your eardrums.

Like other fans, I
will admit that White’s recent romp with ICP was, errr…perplexing. (Although
the trailer vid was clever and funny.) But with this white-hot gem of soul-wrenching
redemption, I’m over it already. Now when is he going to stop tormenting us with bits of piecemeal brilliance, and give us an album or three?

October 11, 2011 at 6:48 am

Holy hell, that is some mind-blowing awesomeness. Pure, incandescent passion and pathos – roman candles of furious noise, spinning and tumbling madly into the black pit, and carrying us along for the ride. A punch to the gut, with fireworks. Just perfect.

But, wait – what’s this I’m reading here about how he shoulda done the song the very same way that U2 did it? What would be the point of that, exactly?

Of all the songs Jack White has covered, I don’t think I’ve ever heard one where he didn’t do something startling and original, and thereby make it thoroughly his own. You can’t expect artistic genius to paint by the numbers and not color outside the lines. Give a listen to his cover of Bang Bang when the Raconteurs were on tour. It’s one of the most stunning things I’ve ever heard, and it’s nothing at all like anyone else’s version of that song.

Sam Majeske
October 11, 2011 at 6:16 am

It’s wonderful that you guys are so passionate about this song, and its terrific outro, but a cover is an interpretation, and not your interpretation.  Jack took this song, and made it his own, and it is a gorgeous final product, appreciate that Jack White appreciates this song and album enough to do a cover for Q magazine.

Lori-Jo
October 11, 2011 at 2:27 am

John Crichton, as a huge Edge fan, exactly my criticism.  To me the passion of the entire song is in the outro, (obvious if one were to watch any of the live ZooTV performances).  I think it was a disservice to the song that he didn’t play the outro, as he’s much more of a guitarist than a singer.  He put all of his passion into the vocal, and that’s never been what the song has been about to me.

John Crichton
October 10, 2011 at 9:57 pm

I love his solo, but I do wish Jack White had gone all out for the outro part of the song instead of just ending it.  Overall it sounded good and has whet my appetite for the rest of the covers disc.

Jacob Lyle
October 10, 2011 at 8:53 pm

damn good cover. i want to listen to the whole thing now.