Late Night PerformancesMusic VideosNews

Video: Mastodon rocks "Curl of the Burl" on Letterman

on October 06, 2011, 3:55am

mastodon letterman Video: Mastodon rocks "Curl of the Burl" on Letterman

Photo courtesy MastodonRocks.com

Just another night for a Mastodon as they crank up their gear and play some heavy shit in low-A tuning. It’s pretty metal that Late Night with David Letterman booked Mastodon, considering there’s an 8-5 chance that my mother, after watching this,  will send me a befuddling email asking me if I know who “Masterhead” is and stating her displeasure for them. But mama just doesn’t understand the power of “Curl of the Burl” live. Like, how the steady, rocking jam can turn even the Ed Sullivan Theater into a mega-sized arena (maybe that’s just the killer camera work). Or, how tight of a unit the Atlanta four-piece comes off, letting each other shine without stepping on the other’s toes. Check it out for yourself below (via The Audio Perv).

The band’s latest album, The Hunter, is out now.

Dwilson45
October 6, 2011 at 9:58 pm

“Curl of the Burl”. It’s still Mastodon. It still kicks ass. I guess haters gonna hate, as they say.

October 6, 2011 at 11:45 am

This is honestly their worst song. I’m glad I didn’t bother to watch last night.

vargo05
October 6, 2011 at 1:18 pm

And their worst song is better than just about anything that any other metal band is doing right now.

October 6, 2011 at 6:13 pm

You dont listen to enough metal than lol

R83kl
October 6, 2011 at 9:21 pm

He’s right its a radio single. I know they wanted to go back to simpler songs but there are so many melodic tracks and only a handful of songs are like their early heavy sound. Either the producer, hes a hiphop dude but also produced the slick and commercial Avenged Sevenfold, put too much pressure or its the record company. Reprise’s current roster is a joke. Their lucky to be on a major label but I think Roadrunner would be more suited for them than Reprise. Too bad its only the second album of what I’m sure is a much longer contract. I doubt the band will last long though. Brent has been pretty out of it the past 4 years or so. He’s a major driver in the songwriting, and lead guitars. Its not easy replacing someone like that.