Bob Dylan tribute album Chimes of Freedom reveals insane tracklist

on November 23, 2011, 4:30pm

dylan chimes of freedom Bob Dylan tribute album Chimes of Freedom reveals insane tracklist

Last month we told you of an upcoming Bob Dylan tribute album being put together in celebration of Amnesty International’s 50th anniversary. At the time, My Morning Jacket, Adele, David Matthews Band, and Ke$ha were among the confirmed participants. Now, the set’s entire tracklist has been revealed, and Ke$ha’s cover of ”Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right” is just the beginning of the insanity.

Spanning four discs and 75 tracks (!!!), Chimes of Freedom: The Songs of Bob Dylan Honoring 50 Years of Amnesty International packages together new or previously unreleased Dylan covers from artist of all different genres and generations. Obvious highlights include covers of “You’re A Big Girl Now” by MMJ, “Outlaw Blues” by Queens of the Stone Age, ”Not Dark Yet” by Silversun Pickups, “Drifter’s Escape” by Patti Smith, and “Lay Down Your Weary Tune” by Billy Bragg.

Other notable contributors include The Who’s Pete Townshend (“Corrina, Corrina”), Sting (“Girl from the North Country”), Bryan Ferry (“Bob Dylan’s Dream”), The Gaslight Anthem (“Changing of the Guards”), Elvis Costello (“License to Kill”), Mark Knopfler (“Restless Farewell”), Sinéad O’Connor (“Property of Jesus”), Joan Baez (“Seven Curses (Live)”), Fistful Of Mercy (“Buckets Of Rain”), Bad Religion (“It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue”), Cage the Elephant (“The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll”), and Pete Seeger (“Forever Young”). Dylan himself contributes the album’s namesake.

And just because, Ms. “On Melancholy Hill”  (aka Miley Cyrus) takes on “You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go” and Maroon 5 tackles “ I Shall Be Released”. Also, Seal and Jeff Beck randomly team up for a reworking of “Like A Rolling Stone” and actress Evan Rachel Wood contributes her cover of “I’d Have You Anytime”.

The collection is scheduled for physical and digital release in North America on January 24th, 2012 via Fontana Distribution. It will then be distributed internationally through Fontana International on January 30th. All profits will go to benefit Amnesty International.

Chimes of Freedom: The Songs of Bob Dylan Honoring 50 Years of Amnesty International Tracklist:
Disc 1
15. The Airborne Toxic Event – Boots of Spanish Leather
16. Sting – Girl from the North Country
17. Mark Knopfler – Restless Farewell

Disc 2
01. Queens Of The Stone Age – Outlaw Blues
02. Lenny Kravitz – Rainy Day Woman # 12 & 35
03. Steve Earle & Lucia Micarelli – One More Cup of Coffee (Valley Below)
04. Blake Mills – Heart Of Mine
05. Miley Cyrus – You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go
06. Billy Bragg – Lay Down Your Weary Tune
07. Elvis Costello – License to Kill
08. Angelique Kidjo – Lay, Lady, Lay
09. Natasha Bedingfield – Ring Them Bells
10. Jackson Browne – Love Minus Zero/No Limit
11. Joan Baez – Seven Curses (Live)
12. The Belle Brigade – No Time To Think
13. Sugarland – Tonight I’ll Be Staying Here With You (Live)
14. Jack’s Mannequin – Mr. Tambourine Man
15. Oren Lavie – 4th Time Around
16. Sussan Deyhim – All I Really Want To Do
17. Adele – Make You Feel My Love (Recorded Live at WXPN)

Disc 3
01. K’NAAN – With God On Our Side
02. Ximena Sari̱ana РI Want You
03. Neil Finn with Pajama Club – She Belongs to Me
04. Bryan Ferry – Bob Dylan’s Dream
05. Zee Avi – Tomorrow Is A Long Time
06. Carly Simon – Just Like a Woman
07. Flogging Molly – The Times They Are A-Changin’
08. Fistful Of Mercy – Buckets Of Rain
09. Joe Perry – Man Of Peace
10. Bad Religion – It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue
11. My Chemical Romance – Desolation Row (Live)
12. RedOne featuring Nabil Khayat – Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door
13. Paul Rodgers & Nils Lofgren – Abandoned Love
14. Darren Criss featuring Chuck Criss and Freelance Whales – New Morning
15. Cage the Elephant – The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll
16. Band of Skulls – It Ain’t Me, Babe
17. Sinéad O’Connor – Property of Jesus
18. Ed Roland and The Sweet Tea Project – Shelter From The Storm
19. Ke$ha – Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right
20. Kronos Quartet – Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right

Disc 4
01. Maroon 5 – I Shall Be Released
02. Carolina Chocolate Drops – Political World
03. Seal & Jeff Beck – Like A Rolling Stone
04. Taj Mahal – Bob Dylan’s 115th Dream
05. Dierks Bentley – Senor (Tales of Yankee Power) (Live)
06. Mick Hucknall – One Of Us Must Know (Sooner Or Later)
07. Thea Gilmore – I’ll Remember You
08. State Radio – John Brown
09. Dave Matthews Band – All Along the Watchtower (Live)
10. Michael Franti – Subterranean Homesick Blues
11. We Are Augustines – Mama, You Been On My Mind
12. Lucinda Williams – Tryin’ To Get To Heaven
13. Kris Kristofferson – Quinn The Eskimo (The Mighty Quinn)
14. Eric Burdon – Gotta Serve Somebody
15. Evan Rachel Wood – I’d Have You Anytime
16. Marianne Faithfull – Baby Let Me Follow You Down (Live)
17. Pete Seeger – Forever Young
18. Bob Dylan – Chimes Of Freedom

Fern
March 2, 2014 at 8:30 pm

Great website you have here but I was wanting to know if you knew of any community forums that cover the same topics discussed in this article?
I’d really like to be a part of group where I can get advice from other knowledgeable individuals that share the same interest.
If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Bless you!

mileysrock
July 15, 2012 at 8:09 am

I’m here because of miley in it :)

StuntHunt
June 10, 2012 at 12:32 pm

This is a brilliant compilation.  Anyone who knocks it w/o listening should tune in first.  It’s brilliant.

TVGord
March 30, 2012 at 10:50 am

I usually buy compilation/tribute albums expecting/hoping to like a handful of the songs, but this collection is incredible from beginning to end!  Those of you who are criticizing it without hearing it are really missing out.  Do yourselves a favor…

Disgusting
February 22, 2012 at 8:25 pm

They seemed to have forgotten to do all of his good songs. I dont know who we are augustines are but i’m interested to hear mama, you been on my mind covered. thats about it though? I just dont think jacks mannequin has the balls. And kesha, adele and hannah montana are a joke.

Scubasan2000
February 16, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Track listing is incorrect.  Track one disc one is Johnny Cash w/Avett Brothers ” One Too Many Mornings”

Donat Mehmeti
January 26, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Kesha? Really. anyways I was afraid of Miley Cyrus but she OWNS it. Amazing cover. nice job

Gigaforce90
December 22, 2011 at 1:29 am

Wtf wheres visions of johanna

Bill Duke
February 19, 2012 at 9:26 am

Must agree….that song has the greatest R and R line of all time…..”the ghost of ‘lectricity howls in the bones of her face. Guess you just cannot get it all on one album. personally, this is by far the greatest album in history.

christine hatfield
December 9, 2011 at 3:54 am

As a Dylan fan for 40+ years I am looking forward to hearing this album plus anything that raises money & awareness for Amnesty International is fine by me

Michael_ben
December 2, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Seriously guys, Miley Cyrus? Kesha? WHY?

funisnumberone
November 26, 2011 at 10:40 pm

They should have Dignity on there, by the guy Bob stole it from.  He’s the Joker AND the Thief!  C’mon bob, time for your last confession on this one.

nikkiejanee
January 24, 2012 at 3:55 pm

stop it

Luciamarie
November 24, 2011 at 4:03 pm

If I wanted to hear only vision of Dylan, Guthrie, Seeger, or even Cole Porter and Irving Berlin I could.  I am looking forward to hear some of these remarkable artists interpretations.  Yeah, some may be pretentious by my standards, but I am not setting myself up as an arbiter of taste, just a Dylan fan since the Freewheeling album in mono. Now, Taj is doing the 115th Dream.
Update:  I saw Bob Dylan last year.  His choices were mostly dark old songs.  That playlist alone made me glad I could get there.  Fits with the current climate (double entendre folks! I mean, God must love the OWS campouts making the weather so warm on Thanksgiving!).

November 24, 2011 at 10:21 am

Something to look forward to in the not too distant after how many roads,i,m not there et.al.

Sean Hart
November 23, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Really?! You have Ke$ha on the album, but no David Bazan cover of “The Man in Me”???

Sean Hart
November 23, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Samsercombe
November 23, 2011 at 9:42 pm

The greatest modern songwriter,great songs, some great and worthy artists= probable crap x good cause =  ??????????????????

Junker Barlow
November 23, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Looks like a 90% clunker rate, with half a dozen that might possibly be interesting, and about 2 that might be any good.

Matthew Harris
November 23, 2011 at 8:55 pm

This is embarassing, because

Daniel Earwicker
November 23, 2011 at 8:54 pm

72 tracks and no one does Maggie’s Farm?

Mccabej
November 23, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Go find the Specials’ version of it. Don’t be so lazy.

Stewart
November 23, 2011 at 6:11 pm

This is embarassing. The people in charge of this project should take a lesson from the I’m Not There soundtrack with covers from Eddie Vedder, Mason Jennings, and Jeff Tweedy

Johnnyknockers
November 23, 2011 at 6:21 pm

i couldnt imagine this will be very good

richard l. r. cole
November 23, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I respectfully disagree with both Stewart and Johnnyknockers.  I think these CDs might have contain real gems. The Sinead O’Connor song could even be worth the cost of the whole thing– her performance of I Believe In You at the Linda McCartney tribute concert brings me to tears when I know she was going to sing this at the Columbia Records 30th Anniversary Tribute Concert for Dylan– until the yahoos at MSG in NYC tried to drown her out with boos because she declared her distaste for her church on SNL by tearing a photo of JPII in half.

Just because you aren’t familiar with all the artists here is no reason to dismiss this collection outright.  There are probably fans of some of these artists who aren’t familiar with Dylan’s work– this could be a great introduction for a new fan who (we all know) isn’t going to here a Bob Dylan song on the radio, unless they hear the angel Adele’s record of Make You Feel My Love.