“Big weekend,” so says the guy at the water cooler today. This time, he’s right – and not because he piled on fourths at Thanksgiving dinner, or nabbed a 32″ television for $25. A lot happened. Simply put, music never sleeps. Just take a gander at what went down in our news feeds between Wednesday and Sunday. The Weeknd released his first-ever video, Florence and the Machine covered Drake, Lupe Fiasco dropped a new mixtape, and David Bowie didn’t sanction a British musical. Somewhere in there Yo La Tengo decided to get political and The Flaming Lips nailed its NYE plans. Check it all out below…
– Watch Beyoncé’s new video for “Dance For You”.
– Florence and the Machine covered Drake’s “Take Care”.
– Watch The Weeknd’s first-ever music video for “The Knowing”.
– Reports of a David Bowie-sanctioned musical are inaccurate, according to David Bowie.
– Watch Ryan Adams and Laura Marling duet on “Oh My Sweet Carolina”.
– Black Star revealed the first taste from their Aretha Franklin-inspired mixtape.
– Download Lupe Fiasco’s new mixtape Friend of the People, featuring samples of M83, Justice, and Ellie Goulding.
– Devo, Yo La Tengo, and Ladytron are among the artists contributing to the benefit compilation Occupy This Album.
– Watch BjÃ¶rk, Noel Gallagher, and Red Hot Chili Peppers wrap up the season finale of Later… with Jools Holland.
– The Flaming Lips detailed their fifth annual New Year’s Freakout, with Yoko Ono Plastic Ono Band serving as the special guest.