ColumnsHot

I Was There: 11 Albums Defined by a Specific Location

on November 18, 2011, 1:00pm

iwastherebanner1 I Was There: 11 Albums Defined by a Specific Location

Truthfully and solipsistically, I wish you cared about me and the rest of the writers at Consequence of Sound so much that you’d want to hear our most personal thoughts on music, because you’d make our jobs way easier. I wish that I could just tell you that the new Atlas Sound album was “awesome, man. So good!” and that Lulu was “just sad, you know?” It’s what I tell my friends, and it’s probably what you tell your friends, too, and it’s the absolute pith and genesis of every word written on music — that first impulse you say to a confidant.

But until you SMS me or take me to a ball game or something, you’ll have to trust that we do our best to expand our personal thoughts into reviews that don’t read like a stopgap AIM conversation. Music is personal, and because it’s personal, it’s what makes a music critic so needed and so useless at the same time.

So, it’s with great excitement that we can offer a more personal insight into some of our writers and what makes music resonate for them. What better way to do that than by talking about where we listen to music,  macro- and micro-geographically speaking. We’re freer than ever to listen to any album in the most obscure and remote places, and that freedom has the potential to unlock a cloistered theme on an album, distort and confound words into new meanings, or underscore and bolster the mood of an album, doubling its potency. Weather, context, time… these things play a part, but none are so diverse and indelible as Where You Were That One Time.

And if you want to circle up in this powwow we got going here, shout out in the comments where you heard an album that made it pop. You can just say it was “awesome, man,” and I’ll totally get where you’re coming from.

-Jeremy D. Larson
Content Director

Nostos
November 27, 2011 at 4:02 am

Montezuma by The Fleet Foxes came on while I was slightly under the influence and trying to find my way home from a house I had just been to for the first time. I’m at an age where I finally realize I’m no longer a kid and I’ve been thinking about it a lot lately. Right as I turn a corner hoping it will take me where I need to be, “O man, what I used to be” started repeating and I realized I was driving right toward my High School for the first time in some years. For whatever reason, it had an extreme impact on me and was a really beautiful moment.

snarf
November 23, 2011 at 12:35 am

I would have gone with AIR- Moon Safari on Sunset Ruck but that’s just me Theodore

Jonas
November 23, 2011 at 12:23 am

at first i saw the weezer blue album one and i thought WTF….but then i realize it was actually pretty awesome

What Up, English
November 21, 2011 at 3:52 am

awesome article. The Walkmen’s ‘You and Me’ hit me like a hammer when I listened to it at night on the chalk-white shore of Bonifacio in Corsica. Cried like a baby. That album is like a rubik’s cube in your head…it can be turned so many different ways…viewed from a whole new angle every time.

Harry Hargreaves
November 20, 2011 at 1:31 am

Great article, something i think about all the time!

R.D.
November 19, 2011 at 4:55 am

Fantastic idea, really enjoyable to read. I wish I could relate to more of the choices but Fur and Gold is a favorite of mine and this turned me on to Active Child.

M. Pah
November 18, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Like this feature, do it again

bobbyrisigliano
November 18, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I couldn’t agree more with your 1st paragraph Jeremy. I look at all you writer’s as individuals who love music in their own way. You guys are like the modern day version of my “used to be cool, record store employees.”
P.S. love the concept of this posting. I used to have a blog http://www.ralphmacchio.blogspot.com that was extremely poorly written but in a way was the same type of concept. Thanks for the read, I especially could relate to the Bat for Lashes and Weezer.