Best Music of 2011CoS Exclusive FeaturesStaff Lists

Top 50 Songs of 2011

on December 09, 2011, 3:16pm

year end songs Top 50 Songs of 2011

I promised the staff I would not go all Masterpiece Theater with this intro, so I’ll be brief. Our Annual Report has reached its halfway point with our Top 50 Songs of the Year. The many flags of our staff are hoisted high — and we couldn’t be happier with what we’re saluting. From Cults’ very first song to Tom Waits’ thousandth song, we put up the tracks that left us with more thoughts, feelings, and impressions than any other. We think we done good.

But just to make sure the world still spins on its axis, let us know what you think we missed from our list and what you liked in the comments. We thrive on that stuff.

Additionally, we’ve got the de rigueur Top 50 Songs of the Year Spotify playlist for you, a quick link to purchase the song on Amazon, and an easy ctrl-c +ctrl-v list for you at the very end immediately following our #1 song of the year.

As always, our profuse thanks for reading, enjoy these tunes, and we’ll see you again next week for the second half of our 2011 Annual Report.

-Jeremy D. Larson
Content Director

Usa Trendy Songs
October 18, 2014 at 6:15 pm

I have read so many articles about the blogger lovers but this piece of writing
is in fact a pleasant piece of writing, keep it up.

Babyloveme
February 20, 2012 at 4:58 am

wdf is this about man gosh if u dnt noe dnt say nun lolz

The Hugstables
January 10, 2012 at 3:38 pm

A handful of songs that should be on the top of that list (even though they aren’t on the list? wtf?) Number one is easily the Shrine/Argument by Fleet Foxes. Absolutely the song of the year! Then there’s My Morning jacket’s “You Wanna Freak Out” and “Victory Dance” as well as Iron & Wine’s “walking far from home”. also The Black keys “Little Black submarine”. Those not being on the list and baby pop super star “Drake” being on their makes this list and utter joke. What time should I pick you up from Kindergarten COS?

Casey Smith
December 17, 2011 at 8:26 am

“Go Outside” is a 2010 song…plus “Abducted” is better anyway.  Great list, as always. Thank you for putting so much energy into it.

Check out my list…www.themusicprecedent.wordpress.com where I’m counting down “125 Amazing Songs of 2011″.

Rhiannon
December 12, 2011 at 6:16 pm

No Spotify in Canada… No Amazon MP3 in Canada… This list is almost too much work to enjoy in Canada…

jpope
December 12, 2011 at 5:42 pm

F*** Spotify.

rick
December 12, 2011 at 11:11 am

A little disappointed with no MMJ on this list…

December 12, 2011 at 9:23 am

I don’t know. You guys turn me on to Arrica Rose and say her tune “Nothing Nada Nothing” is one of the best Indy songs of the year and I’m hooked into her bigtime and she never gets mentioned in your picks. Sad.

Justinkpitts
December 10, 2011 at 9:13 pm

No Panda Bear or Youth Lagoon? Good call on Tune-yards though

james
December 10, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Now this is a list I can support. Good call on War on Drugs, Bon Iver and “High Hawk Season.”

M.D.
December 10, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Dude, I don’t have Spotify. I know it’s free. But what about some proper links for each of the songs? You know, Youtube, Soundcloud, whatevs.

Alex Young
December 10, 2011 at 3:08 pm

M.D. – The reason we did not use YouTube or Soundcloud is because we want these lists to look good for years to come. Often times, YouTube and Soundcloud streams get deleted, which would fill these posts with dead links.

The Amazon.com widgets are legal and provide a 30-second sample. Plus, if you like what you hear, you can buy the song and support the artist.

Wmhfleming
December 10, 2011 at 12:36 am

“Hell Broke Luce” by Tom Waits

Jacob Webb
December 9, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Missing – Florence’s “Shake It Out”, Coldplay’s “Charlie Brown”, Ryan Adams’ “Lucky Now”, Noel Gallagher’s “What A Life”, and Arctic Monkeys’ “The Hellcat Spangled Shalalala.”

Mad props on – Drake’s “Take Care”, Foo Fighters’ “Rope” and The Strokes’ “Under Cover of Darkness.”

December 9, 2011 at 11:47 pm

When I saw number 2 I was disgusted. But when I saw number 1 I stood up and clapped.

Timmeh3000
December 13, 2011 at 10:26 pm

When I saw number 1 I was disgusted. But when I saw number 2 I stood up and clapped.

Sauce Ginsburg
December 9, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Giggles that Florence’s album is receiving 0 press.

Kate
December 9, 2011 at 6:13 pm

It’s No 1 album according to Q Magazine in the UK. Mind you they missed out Fleet Foxes so who’s to say

Kate
December 9, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Lists like this that try to include a range of musical styles are impossible. So well done on a pretty good mix and great to see Bon Iver at numero uno. I can’t stand Rolling in the deep, can’t see the point of clueless rap and you should have included Us against the world even if you dont rate the new Coldplay. Maybe Sophia by Laura Marling too. Part from that, good call.

Taylor
December 9, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Great list. Some very solid choices all around (and a couple head-scratchers but that’s to be expected). I made a Spotify mix of all the available tracks (45 out of 50), if anyone else is interested here is the link: Consequence of Sound’s Top 50 Songs of 2011

Taylor
December 9, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Actual link: http://spoti.fi/vFKlh6

Vbrennan44
December 9, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Uhhh Jeff tweedy’s dad isn’t dead. Don’t worry, you’re not the only reviewer who fucked up the meaning of that song.

Dan Rust
December 9, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I’m so glad to see SBTRKT crack the top 10.  I have a hard time deciding between his album and Yuck as my favorite of the year, although I think “Hold On” and “Trials of the Past” are better songs than “Wildfire.  Overall, the list is decent.  A few surprises is that there is no mention from Yuck, Shabazz Palaces, The Head and the Heart, and Grouplove.  Also, I know you guys don’t follow EDM as much, but how about “Levels” by Avicii and “Cinema” by Benny Benassi.  Those were huge songs this year.

Rory Biller
December 9, 2011 at 2:01 pm

How about a list…I´m travelling in Peru and can´t get spotify on the hostal computers. Curious.

Jeff Geyman
December 9, 2011 at 2:13 pm

There is a complete list. Just go to the very last page (page 51 or 52).

Guest
December 9, 2011 at 1:44 pm

need you now is far from the best song on zonoscope

Pypopscc
December 9, 2011 at 7:20 am

I love that James blake whilhelm scream broke the top ten!
Great list!
Would have loved to have seen fleet foxes the shrine/an argument up there. It doesn’t get much better than that

Guest
December 9, 2011 at 7:19 am

definitely missing out on “video games”

also- cults- go outside was released in 2010. cmon.

Bradjazzzybee
December 9, 2011 at 6:38 am

“Go Outside” by Cults came out last year, did it not?

Jeff Geyman
December 9, 2011 at 2:12 pm

The single, yes, but it was on their debut album from this year, therefore qualifying it to be on this list. :)

Yankeesfan465
December 9, 2011 at 6:00 am

Wouldn’t have minded the song circuital, but this was a good read and a good list.

Sgerold
December 9, 2011 at 5:57 am

Where is the love for what My Morning Jacket has done this year with the album Circuital?  In my opinion, there are 3 bonafide hits that could be placed on this list…Circuital? Victory Dance? Holdin’ on to Black Metal??? Come on CoS, I think you really missed on this one.

Chandler
December 9, 2011 at 5:51 am

No “Video Games”?

Also, “Beth/Rest” is waaaaaay better than “Holocene”.

Sam
December 9, 2011 at 5:31 am

Wasn’t released on an album but “Exile Villify” by the National is definitely a top 50 song of the year.

Jeff Geyman
December 9, 2011 at 5:25 am

Very good list but the absence of these left me wondering: Wavves? Smith Westerns? Girls ‘Honey Bunny’? Cass McCombs ‘The Same Thing’? CSS ‘Hits Me Like a Rock’? Dum Dum Girls  ’Bedroom Eyes’? Crystal Castles? Lana del Rey? Cold War Kids? Those Darlins? Panda Bear?

Guest
December 10, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Crystal Castles didn’t release music in 2011.

Jeff Geyman
December 10, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Good call…I don’t know how that one slipped in there. :O