Festival CoverageHot

Bonnaroo’s 2012 Lineup: One Day Later

on February 15, 2012, 12:31pm

bonnaroo 2012 poster Bonnaroos 2012 Lineup: One Day Later

Bonnaroo’s 2012 lineup is officially one day old and that means it’s time for some post-reveal analysis. In the pages that follow, we run through the biggest highlights and surprises appearing on this year’s bill, in addition to the most glaring omissions. We also highlight five names worth knowing as you prepare for your summer vacay on The Farm.

DonnaBianca
June 1, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Agreed that Jack White would have made a great choice as headliner. Both his new album – Blunderbuss – and the live shows he’s been touring have been getting rave reviews from all over. He’s one rock musician that will consistently deliver an explosive, thrilling, face-melting performance damn near every time – including some legendary shows at festivals. Whoever decided it wasn’t a priority to get Jack White for Bonnaroo this year should be off in a dark corner somewhere, kicking themselves firmly and repeatedly in the butt.

krazd13
May 27, 2012 at 8:39 pm

If you want to have an essential listen as to what this year will sound like, try this link:

This isn’t spam or anything, I worked hard compiling this playlist to show people what is playing this year.

Mbkb1
March 2, 2012 at 10:19 pm

I do not like this lineup.  I think it is boring.  Drake wouldn’t have made it much better.  He can’t sing , he doesn’t dance and he doesn’t play any  music instrument.  I wouldn’t want to hear someone get up there with nothing more than a slow drawl.   Bonnaroo, you could have done better with your line up.

February 29, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Ben Folds Five!!! Hoping Jack White is added at some point, in some form.

Rebacca
February 23, 2012 at 4:51 am

We have thousands of dr dre headphones, especially dr dre pro monster headphones on our site, they all come in brand new and good quality with the cheap price, kindly please have a look through our site and contact us directly. http://www.beatsheadphonessales.com

mike
February 27, 2012 at 8:52 am

can you tell me more about these headphones?

Nikwbr1246
February 22, 2012 at 8:30 pm

WHERES THE DISCO BISCUITS. I thought they played bonnaroo every 2 years?

RonSwanson
February 20, 2012 at 8:35 pm

John Raffio? Jesus, COS. At least do a little bit of research, it’s Jean-Ralphio.

Specialgooseofdoom
February 20, 2012 at 1:20 pm

THE MOTHER FUCKING BEACH BOYS WITH BRIAN WILSON???  IS no one else as stoked about this as me?  This is the best Roo lineup since 2007.

Mic
February 20, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I’m not stoked at all.  I was sure Macca would be in that slot.  Also, I would trade RHCP for Jack White.

Bonnaroo Jack
February 22, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Macca would be Top Billing. You’re crazy of you think anything less, especially opposed.

Taylor940701
April 30, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I’m glad someone is excited about this. I just saw them in Atlanta and believe me, you’re in for a real treat. I cannot believe how good they sound after all these years. I’d love to see a few more shows on this tour but I don’t think it’s gonna happen. Whatever you do, don’t miss this opportunity!

bb
February 18, 2012 at 3:43 am

bon iver at every festival. winning.

schmails and i never slice
February 17, 2012 at 11:24 am

GZA is doing some shows with bad brains,,,,,,  any form of wu-tang would would be a plus!

festivalguest
February 17, 2012 at 7:40 am

sweet lineup

No Fleet Foxes again!
February 17, 2012 at 3:55 am

With the exception of Phish and The Word, this seems like a Lollapalooza lineup. Every year they get further and further away from Bonnaroo’s roots. Goodbye jazz, folk and jam music. BTW, why in the world has Fleet Foxes never played Bonnaroo?

Dizzile
February 20, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Yet Fleet Foxes play Lollapalooza, your post has no credibility.

zatzbatz
February 21, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Have you seen the All Good lineup? I think you want to go to that this year. One of the best lineups I have ever seen for that kind of music.

Bonnaroo Jack
February 22, 2012 at 9:17 pm

J Tillman left Fleet Foxes. Doubt they are doing anything for awhile. Those are some big shoes to fill.

schmails and i never slice
February 16, 2012 at 8:44 am

need a bigger hip hop act………. A TRIBE CALLED QUEST,,,,

Scruffz
February 28, 2012 at 1:25 am

Uh, The Roots aren’t exactly small.

February 16, 2012 at 1:22 am

MTV never had a hand in this.

Nate
February 16, 2012 at 12:44 am

Don’t forget that nearly twice as many bands will be added over the next 2-3 months. I believe the lineup includes, what, 81 bands so far? They’re saying over 150 bands. Wouldn’t be surprised if Jack White was in one of those additions. Not sure why you guys wasted space on Panic. Everyone knew they were taking the year off and wouldn’t be there again after closing it out last year. Also, wouldn’t be surprised to see Drake added as well. As for the EDM, I think there’s plenty of it to go around. I mean, really, all you have is two late nights to host a handful of those kind of acts, and there’s plenty there to give all you EDM freaks your fix.

zatzbatz
February 16, 2012 at 4:41 am

“As for the EDM, I think there’s plenty of it to go around.” That’s only because you think all EDM is the same. Major Lazer and Mimosa are the only EDM I am crazy about on this list. Flying Lotus is not really dance music and Skrillex is not that exciting. Umphrees Mcgee is the kind of late night they went with this year, and that is not the kind of fix EDM freaks are looking for.

Doug Murphy
February 20, 2012 at 9:57 am

EDM freaks shouldn’t be going to Bonnaroo.  They should be going to a festival that specializes in EDM.  There is more than enough on the lineup to satisfy the Roo crowd.

zatzbatz
February 21, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I thought the Roo crowd was a diverse crowd of people who liked all kinds of music. I guess it’s only for you and your small minded friends. My bad.

Vincentvega803
February 15, 2012 at 10:57 pm

we need at the drive in… badly

schmails and i never slice
February 15, 2012 at 5:42 pm

we need a late night buckethead set….. he is on tour right now!

Rory Biller
February 15, 2012 at 5:16 pm

I’m glad you guys threw out props for the Alice Cooper include. I thought it was a strange choice at first as well, but I’ve been fortunate enough to find myself at 2 of his shows in the last decade. Regardless of your opinions on his music, his show is a lot of fun.

I think that overall the lineup is what I expected. A slightly less exciting version of Coachella. As the line-up fills out, you’ll notice that a lot of the band sare already playing either Coachella or Sasquatch (and will probably be on the lineup for Lollapalooza later this year). Unfortunately these festivals get closer to having the same line-up every year.

The only headliner worth seeing is Radiohead. I’m sure Phish will be good for their fans, but it isn’t really my thing. With Mogwai, St. Vincent, Fitz & The Tantrums, Little Dragon, Bad Brains, The Shins, Black Star and Flying Lotus…this lineup is pretty eclectic regardless and it should be good…but still not good enough to convince me to dole out the money to head to Tennessee.

chris
February 15, 2012 at 8:26 pm

A slightly less exciting version of Coachella?  You’re not serious, are you?

Nvman8
February 15, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Michael Roffman, what about the Roots? You keep saying theres no real hip-hop headliner at Bonnaroo this year, but the Roots are on the lineup! It hardly gets any more real than the Roots!

February 15, 2012 at 4:51 pm

When I saw The Roots at OSL, they were more soul/funk oriented. Not saying it was a bad thing (it was amazing and there was a lot of dancing!) they seem to have a different M.O. when they perform live nowadays…

Ronnie Evans
February 15, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Yeah because the Red Hot Chili Peppers aren’t cool or anything. Not to mention the return of the Shins. Oh, and these other blokes that are going to be incredible: Bon Iver, Phish (maybe), Avett Brothers, The Shins, Foster The People, Feist, The Roots, Flogging Molly, tUnE-yArDs, Flying Lotus, Little Dragon, St. Vincent, City and Colour, The Civil Wars, Young The Giant, Two Door Cinema Club, Yelawolf, Battles, SBTRKT, The Kooks, The Joy Formidable, The Antlers, MiMOSA (just for kicks), Mogwai, The War On Drugs, Grouplove, White Denim, Here We Go Magic, Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr., Fruit Bats. That’s my narrowed down list.

I’d take any of them over EMA. get it together COS, I expect better from you.

Rike_moffman
February 15, 2012 at 3:50 pm

EMA is great. suck a bag of dicks ronnie.

Ronnie Evans
February 15, 2012 at 5:26 pm

LAWLS. To each their own.

Ctirney410
February 16, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Phish maybe?? I love the lineup from top to bottom and i’ll say none of the bands listed can hold a candle to what Phish can bring to a festival.  Mike Gordon and Flea gonna womp in superjam

Nardo Marques
February 15, 2012 at 1:56 pm

The Omissions section always seems a little pointless when you do these day later recaps for Bonnaroo.  The festival will knowingly add more artists, of course the initial lineup is lacking.  Rolling out more details and surprises as the fest grows nearer has become an almost trademarked Bonnaroo move.  It’s not that you aren’t raising good points, but all the acts you’re wondering about could theoretically be added.  Maybe consider a Hopeful Additions section rather than Omissions one maybe?

RainDog
February 15, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I think you’re confusing Bonnaroo for Coachella. While Coachella has a history of adding top-of-the-bill acts after the initial line-up, Bonnaroo traditionally only adds second-tier acts and comedy. Maybe EMA or Sleigh Bells get added, but Jack White is a far larger act than Bonnaroo normally adds, so I’d say Omissions is a pretty fair assessment.

josh
February 15, 2012 at 7:38 pm

John Paul Jones’ superjam in 2007 was added one week before festival. JPJ, ?uestlove and Ben Harper. The roots and Ben Harper were already on the bill and JPJ was brought in just for the superjam. He also made appearances during more than a handful of other sets.

Roosucks
February 15, 2012 at 12:53 pm

aaaand what do ya know people! The lineup is still crap one WHOLE day later!

schmails and i never slice
February 15, 2012 at 12:51 pm

no les? no jack? no warren? no galactic? i see some nice adds coming……… then this will be a solid line up.  amon tobin would be a solid add along with some disco biscuits!

Personaltransformer
February 16, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Im with this guy! want some guitar in this lineup! get some jams going and ill ignore the fact you added mac miller….. ugh

William Keenan
February 15, 2012 at 12:47 pm

You forgot to mention the main reason to hit Bonnaroo – Phish.