Late Night PerformancesMusic VideosNews

Video: Sleigh Bells play Saturday Night Live

on February 19, 2012, 1:35am

sleigh bells snl Video: Sleigh Bells play Saturday Night Live

Saturday Night Live continued its indie streak last night, welcoming Mom + Pop Records’ own Sleigh Bells to the program. Showcasing their sophomore LP Reign of Terror, the Brooklyn duo punched out “Comeback Kid” and “End of the Line”.

The episode also featured a skit where various celebrities visited Jay-Z and Beyoncé’s daughter Blue Ivy Carter, including Prince, Nicki Minaj, and Bon Iver’s Justin Vernon, who was impersonated by Justin Timberlake. Said Vernon on Twitter: “holy shit, i was just watching SNL and JT did a Bon Iver hilarious thing! Also, Maya Rudolph saying “bon iver” is enough. I can die now!!!… JT! SNL peeps… that was hilarious. Armisen as prince… Also, i WISH i looked that good bald. That was it… the most surreal thing! ever!”

Watch the video replays below.

“Comeback Kid”:

“End of the Line”:

Blue Ivy Carter skit:

Reign of Terror officially arrives February 21st via Mom + Pop, though you can stream it now at NYTimes.com.

Jmartin
March 11, 2012 at 11:33 pm

i wanted to hear them do guitars!!!! now thats a great song

Jmartin
March 11, 2012 at 11:27 pm

I think you guys are jumping to hard on a very young band. These guys are very young and it will take a learning curve for them but both are great artist. You are incorrect in her singing, she is awesome, also his guitar work is very unique. What make them different from everyone else is they are doing thier own category of music, its not rock, its not rap, its not rock or club music. to me it seems to be a tad bit of rock from and 80’s music mixed and I really think thats what makes them special. now if you dont understand any of that then its because your to young or to dumb. They are great and I hope the go far. :)

anon
February 22, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Amazing band. Shitty mix.

February 21, 2012 at 2:36 am

That was crap music. Worst sound mixing ever. Two shitty guitarists over a drum machine and you couldn’t ever hear the girl singing.

JohnTSL
February 21, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Sweet, well to you and every other person commenting on this video, here ya go.
I saw the the Sleigh Bells live last year and the show was literally life changing, and nothing like the videos above. SNL puts restrictions on guest bands. No going crazy on stage, no strobe lights, no cursing, no crowd surfs, which is what made their show so amazing in the first place. I’m not saying that the vids above sound amazing, the mixing did blow, but thats not their fault. In addition to the that, it’s pretty sad just going around bashing people over the internet, I understand that if this is your first impression of them, then they don’t sound that great, but in reality, they’re talented, skilled, and at the very least creative, they practically created their own genre of music. I don’t like country, I don’t like screamo, I don’t like kenny fucking loggins, but I don’t go around saying, “FUCK KENNY LOGGINS!” Instead, I appreciate them because I know that one source of music comes from every other source of music in one way or another. And before you read this and say, “Hey fuck this kid,” notice that I actually made an argument instead of going on here and telling you that you’re a faggot that doesn’t know shit about shit. One more thing, their guitarist, Derek Miller, arranges all their music by himself. He has to put it on a track behind them because there’s only two of them (normally they don’t have the rythem guitarist). You can’t make those same sounds on just a regular drum set/ keyboard/ guitar, and honestly it should be impressive to most people. Two member bands are tough to pull off. I don’t give a shit whether or not anybody likes the Bells, but they should be appreciated for adding a completely new view on shredding, hard rock, and blood pumping, head banging, rock out with your cock out music.

T.S.L.
(True Shred Life)

jsong
February 29, 2012 at 5:40 pm

you have to admit that even if they’re innovative and energetic performs with an explosive live show, they’re simply not very good musicians.

and it’s not just the mix – alexis obviously can’t stand on her own as a vocalist without all the studio effects, and even with an extra guitarist, the song loses a ton of momentum when the harmonized lead is supposed to come in on top of the rhythm part. especially given their extensive use of backing tracks, there’s tons of room for them to sound less awful.

don’t get me wrong, i really like sleigh bells’ music, but i just always wish they were better live.

Wendyjmd
February 20, 2012 at 11:04 am

I thought they were a spoof.  That’s not music.

Joe
February 19, 2012 at 9:33 pm

I don’t know if Sleigh Bells is any good or not.  Their performances were so poorly mixed it was a joke.

Keith Rollman
February 19, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I kept hoping it was Jessie J…but…no.

Reconsiderations
February 19, 2012 at 9:46 am

That was pretty awful.

Melasonaous
February 19, 2012 at 3:59 am

The Sleigh Bells are HORRIBLE – never ever have them on SNL again!

Steve
February 19, 2012 at 3:32 am

Sleigh Bells sucked . . .

Josaj269