On this edition of Audiography, we feature the latest in music news, reviews of albums by Fleming, Sinead O’Connor, A Liquid Landscape, Xerxes, and Disappears, and we talk with Kevin Barnes
, the leader and creative force behind the psychedelic pop outfit of Montreal
. Our discussion centers around his band’s latest album, Paralytic Stalks
, and Barnes’ experimentation with composition, blending the influences of avante modern classical composers such as Ligeti and Partch, the addition of Zac Colwell and Kishi Bashi to the band, and his decision to write as himself rather than through a persona for his latest exploration of the human psyche.
01. Xerxes – “Suburban Asphalt” (excerpt), “February” (excerpt)
02. Sinead O’Connor – “The Wolf Is Getting Married” (excerpt), “Reason With Me” (excerpt)
03. Disappears – “Replicate” (excerpt), “All Gone White” (excerpt)
04. Fleming -”Poem” (excerpt), “Slip” (excerpt)
05. A Liquid Landscape – “Nightingale Express” (excerpt)
06. of Montreal – “Wintered Debts”, “Dour Percentage”, “Gelid Ascent”
Audiography Episode 030– “Kevin Barnes (from of Montreal)”
Written and Produced by Len Comaratta, Alex Young, Adam Kivel, David Buchanan, Bryant Kitching, Leah Cappelli, Nick Freed, and David DiLillo.
Podcast: Play in new window
Are you enjoying Audiography? Subscribe to the Podcast via iTunes!