Jack White discusses White Stripes break up

on April 05, 2012, 6:02pm

whitestripesfeature1 Jack White discusses White Stripes break up

Jack White made headlines last month when he said there is “absolutely no chance” for a reunion of his old band, The White Stripes. “I couldn’t see any reason to ever do that,” White told NME. “I’m not the kind of person that would retire from baseball and come out of retirement the next year. I mean, if we went to all the trouble of telling people we’re done, we meant it, you know?”

However, a new interview with The New York Times, White revealed that if it were up to him, the band would still be around. ”I’d make a White Stripes record right now. I’d be in the White Stripes for the rest of my life. That band is the most challenging, important, fulfilling thing ever to happen to me. I wish it was still here. It’s something I really, really miss.”

Instead, according to White, it was Meg’s decision to break up the band. “Some people can live their whole lives in limbo, I’d rather cut the lifeline so we can move on with our lives. There came a point where I said, ‘If we’re not doing this, we need to put an end to it right now.’ And that’s what she wanted to do.”

Prompted to explain what he meant by that, White said “You’d have to ask her… I don’t know what her reasons are. Having a conversation with Meg, you don’t really get any answers. I’m lucky that girl ever got onstage, so I’ll take what I can get.” (The band was forced to cancel their fall tour in 2009, citing Meg’s “acute anxiety.”)

White was also asked if he felt strange playing White Stripes songs on his current solo tour. He responded “Maybe it should… But it doesn’t. I wrote the White Stripes songs myself. It always felt like the two of us covering my songs.”

As previously reported, White’s solo debut, Blunderbuss, arrives April 24th via Third Man/Columbia. Watch his new video for “Sixteen Saltines” below.

May 27, 2014 at 1:20 am

This design is spectacular! You definitely
know how to keep a reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved
to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Fantastic job.
I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
Too cool!

Zhaisan
November 19, 2012 at 7:31 pm

I remember that some time Jack promised that he will never play any song with another drummer than Meg..

yo
April 7, 2012 at 4:54 am

Unfortunately, Meg has certainly had her critics with respect to her abilities as a musician (many of whom I’d wager can’t even hold a rhythm, much less actually play drums…but that’s a different argument).

In any event, any real music fan with half a brain and at all into what Jack was trying to do in the White Stripes understood, more likely than not, that Meg’s style fit the songs pretty well.

It’s a shame, for White Stripes fans anyway, that, with these comments from Jack, any chances of a White Stripes reunion/continuation could be headed towards (a much more unfortunate version of) a Guns N’ Roses-esque standoff (i.e. nobody cares about your stupid egos; get over it).

Justin Smith
April 5, 2012 at 8:10 pm

meg is a garbage drummer anyways…who cares

Fghjg
April 5, 2012 at 7:24 pm

So you don’t think The White Stripes were fulfilling for Jack? If he wanted to make a shit ton of money there are a lot of other things he could do.

Realtalk
April 5, 2012 at 6:29 pm

you can tell there’s some real fucking bitterness between the two…at least from his side

someone
April 5, 2012 at 6:13 pm

“I’d make a White Stripes record right now. I’d be in the White Stripes
for the rest of my life. That band is the most challenging, important,
fulfilling thing ever to happen to me.”

Means, “It’s the band I profitted the most with so I’d obviously want to be at it”

lordtyrenn
April 5, 2012 at 6:09 pm

that seems like a complete flipflop of what he said before