Against Me!’s Tom Gabel is transgender, plans to become a woman

on May 08, 2012, 10:51pm

feattomgabel Against Me!s Tom Gabel is transgender, plans to become a woman

Tom Gabel, lead singer of punk band Against Me!, is transgender and will soon start living life as a woman, she revealed in an interview with Rolling Stone. Gabel said she’ll make the transition with the help of hormones and electrolysis treatments, and will eventually take the name Laura Jane Grace.

As one of the first transgender rock stars to come out to the public, Gabel has made the courageous decision to be forthcoming and open. “I’m going to have embarrassing moments,” she said, “and that won’t be fun. But that’s part of what talking to you is about – is hoping people will understand, and hoping they’ll be fairly kind.”

Gabel added that she’s not attracted to men and will remain married to her wife Heather, with whom she has a 2-year-old daughter named Evelyn. “For me, the most terrifying thing about this was how [Heather] would accept the news,” Gabel told Rolling Stone. “But she’s been super-amazing and understanding.”

Gabel’s full interview with Rolling Stone will be published in the May 11th issue. She also discussed what her new identity means for Against Me!.

Below, check out a live recording from March 19th of Gabel performing what is now known to be a deeply personal, unreleased track, “Transgender Dysphoria Blues”.

MCE
June 4, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Such incredible courage.  I am always inspired by the people who aren’t afraid to take their chances in order to be happy.  I wish all the best to Laura Jane Grace and her family!

Dug
May 11, 2012 at 1:34 am

I always loved  his voice, it was so raw and sounds like a real man, especially compared to some of these little boys who wail about nothing. Why would he consider himself to be a girl on the inside? I just don’t see it, and certainly not after you establish your identity for half of a life time and have a child. This one is truly bonkers to me, thats all I got.

Laura
May 10, 2012 at 1:35 pm

accepting and tolerant?????? How about accepting who you are to begin with. You wanna be gay or wear dresses then go ahead, but to try to turn your self into something your not and will never be is ridiculous. That poor poor kid

Jill
May 9, 2012 at 8:54 am

Good for her for living her life as she sees fit! The more people who come out as transgender instead of feeling forced to live incongruously because of narrow-minded people, the more accepting society will become. It takes a lot of nerve to be amongst the first, so I applaud her decision whole-heartedly.

BMcHastings
May 9, 2012 at 8:50 am

Good for her! What a strong person it takes to come out as transgender, holy sh*t. I’ve loved Against Me’s albums in the past and can’t wait to hear their new stuff – interesting.

mdotsnake
May 9, 2012 at 12:57 am

Because most 2 year olds have the mental capacity to “accept” the fact that the father is going to become a women.  Poor Kid.

Nizzler
May 9, 2012 at 10:04 am

I don’t remember a damn thing from when I was two years old. Pretty sure most kids who grow up with two moms are perfectly fine with it once they get to ages of understanding.

Monkey_82
May 9, 2012 at 1:18 pm

i think the kid will grow up accepting and tolerant. unlike you.

Karen
May 9, 2012 at 9:36 pm

It says that the wife accepted it, not the daughter.

Sean
May 9, 2012 at 12:53 am

It took a lot of guts to announce this I am sure.  Hopefully she doesn’t take too much shit and finds the happiness she’s searching for.  And hopefully somehow the band survives this.   Incidentally,  I just got my new issue of RS today (actually dates May 10) and can’t find this article you mention anyway where in it.

Justin Smith
May 8, 2012 at 11:28 pm

VERY BIZARRE

Alli Medwin
May 8, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Way to go, lady. Blaze that trail, and fuck the haters.