Late Night PerformancesMusic VideosNews

Video: The Beach Boys surf into Fallon

on May 08, 2012, 1:00am

beachboysfallon Video: The Beach Boys surf into Fallon

Although Late Night with Jimmy Fallon records from 30 Rock in New York City, last night’s episode was awash in West coast vibes, all thanks to The Beach Boys, or more specifically: Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine, David Marks, and Bruce Johnston. Because it was such a special occasion, Fallon wasted little time in the hour slot, introducing the California legends prior to the show’s traditional launch, to which they strummed straight into a note-for-note cut of Wilson’s classic lullaby, “In My Room”.

Later on, Love and Wilson chatted with Fallon, discussing the band’s legacy, harmonies, Elvis Presley, and their forthcoming reunion LP, That’s Why God Made the Radio. To cap off the night, Love and Wilson rejoined the band for a performance of the new album’s titular track and the Pet Sounds opening hit “Wouldn’t It Be Nice”. Check it all out below.

“In My Room”:

Interview with Brian Wilson and Mike Love (via The Audio Perv):

“That’s Why God Made the Radio”:

“Wouldn’t It Be Nice”:

Major Otis
May 8, 2012 at 11:21 pm

The last 30 seconds of “That’s why God..” are worth the 10 minutes of embarrassment that preceded it.  If they’re fine with it, so am I.

Beachbum5
May 8, 2012 at 10:54 pm

They sound fine to me. Whether that’s because of a little help from Foskett, et al, I don’t care. It’s all about how their music makes you feel. I saw them in St. Augustine, last week. What a thrill to hear and see them together again. It made me feel like I was 19 again. I just wish Carl & Dennis were still here.

Marc
May 8, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Brian Wilson, along with Lennon/Mc, and Dylan, is one of the true pop geniuses. I have seen the BBs dozens of times since the early 70s. Long after all of us are gone and forgotten, they and their music will be remembered and enjoyed. If they want to record and tour, more power to them. Sure, Jeff Foskett and The Wondermints do a lot of back up work for them. But the music is immortal.

Ibruce
May 8, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Oh the memories……….!

Ckirkp1021
May 8, 2012 at 3:21 pm

There’s no bigger Beach Boys fan on this earth than me.  But……I would have to agree with some that at some point, you have to stop.  With the exception of David Crosby, no man at age 70 can sound like he did at 20, and any attempt at such is embarrassing.  Mike Love’s former (and future when this tour is over) “Beach Boys” are just a mediocre tribute band.  Why Love feels the need (other than the money which – if he has some of the co-writer’s on the BB’s hits, he should not) to make a fool of himself on stage is beyond me.  Brian was smart enough to find some very talented young guys who can pull off his work without him even having to play or sing at all.  And it is fine with me if “The Master” simply appears on stage and does nothing.  For all the great music he has given the world, he owes us nothing.  And I would bet a week’s pay that Brian’s stipulation for even doing this tour (which he certainly did not need to do) was that his own band would be the backup…because there is no way in Hell any of the front 5 could do it alone.  The Beach Boys are an institution and should be properly presented.  Why doesn’t Mike find a few dozen talented young kids and put together several touring ‘tribute bands’ who look and sound like they did 40 years ago?  Now, y’all….go to You Tube and look up The Fendertones and have your minds blown.

Jackierichards52
May 8, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I disagree with you, the front 5 can do it all…..heheheheheher

Classicera
June 3, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I saw the concert yesterday and thought they were amazing at their age (they are young at heart).  They can carry the music. Mike Love sounded GREAT and he still can carry his part. He was the best on stage.   It’s a fact of life, we all get old.   Just because you are older doesn’t mean you should stop living and dig your grave.  I say keep going until you can and respect those who do!

annie
May 8, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Brian should have just released smile in 1967.It was so stupid.beach boys would have been bigger if he released the album in 1967.It is also brian’s own fault that he did lose the voice he once had,it is because of the he heavy smoking,alcohol,and drug use.

Mike Roy
May 8, 2012 at 12:54 pm

ALSO, those who are bitchin and moaning about their voices, I DARE YOU ALL to sound that good at 70.  Not to many people can, so its great to still see some of the old greats still out there.  i.e Beach Boys, Paul McCartney, Frankie Valli, Tony Bennett, Glen Campbell….  list is endless. See all these people while you still can.  Living legends in a dying industry.  Look at the new music, BLAH!!

Mike Roy
May 8, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I thought it sounded great last night.  Brian’s recent solo albums have been WOW.  Its nice to see him back one last time with the group he founded.  The new single is fantastic and I’m hoping the album is the same.  It should be if Brian’s responsible.  I’m almost thinking it’ll sound like “Lucky Old Sun” (Brian’s ’08 album).  It was nice to hear Brian sing TWGMTR without the cheap “pitch correction” effect they use on his voice on the concerts.  This is what they outta sound like.  Great without the fanciness of “today’s technology”.  I’ve seen Brian a few times and now I look forward to seeing him in The Beach Boys in a little over a month!

Louieseven
May 8, 2012 at 11:10 am

Incredible. a. that the BB’s were that good!!! b. that the commenters below are that cynical.

annie
May 8, 2012 at 9:39 am

I agree with anonymous.they just can’t play and sing on their own anymore.they need to quit.they should not perform or make a cd anymore,they look to old and their voices sound bad and old.

BeachBoys4Eva
May 8, 2012 at 11:14 am

If they quit, they die. I say let ‘em play if someone doesn’t like it they don’t have to watch.

Wwilliams5247
May 8, 2012 at 8:19 am

Thanks for posting this on-line.  I missed it live.  It should have received a little more hype on NBC promos.  A lot of us older Beach Boys Fans are usually asleep when Fallon comes on, but if we have a reason to stay up we will!

anonymous
May 8, 2012 at 6:57 am

OLD,THEY ARE SO OLD ! THEY LOOK SO OLD ! AND THEY NEED A 10 MAN BACKUP BAND TO PLAY AND SING FOR THEM.I LIKE THE 60’s BEACH BOYS,JUST 5 GUYS ON STAGE ONLY SINGING AND PLAYING THEMSELFS !

mangoshakes
May 8, 2012 at 8:25 am

you need to do some maturing.  actually in my room is just them, the only addition is one background guy for the falsetto. the band has had a huge band on the stage with them since like 1970.  every vocal on their songs tends to be doubled, so they want to recreate that.  plus, it sounds better with that wall of sound.

dildos999
May 8, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I’m looking forward to the day when someone says something similar to you.

BBF
June 3, 2012 at 12:33 pm

If you are lucky enough, one day you will be old.  Getting older is a privilege.  Nothing is wrong with getting older, it’s a fact of life.  But you are prejudice against the elders in the world.  Your world is LIMITED.