Ween breaks up

on May 29, 2012, 5:28pm

ween 2012 Ween breaks up

Iconic experimental rock outfit Ween has called it quits, according to frontman Aaron Freeman. Speaking with RollingStone.com, Freeman explained that the decision had been contemplated for nearly a decade, even though the band remains on speaking terms.

“It’s time to move on,” Ween said, adding that he was retiring the Gene Ween moniker. “For me it’s a closed book. In life sometimes, in the universe, you have to close some doors to have others open… There’s no, ‘Goddamn that such and such!’ For me, I’d like to think it’s a door I can close finally.”

Freeman and Mickey Melchiondo formed the band in 1984 after meeting in an eighth grade typing class. During their 25-year existence, the band released 11 studio albums, plus a slew of live sessions, EPs, and other releases. They’re perhaps best known for their singles “Voodoo Lady”, “Push th’ Little Daisies”, and “Even If You Don’t”, which was turned into a music video by South Park creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker. Watch said video below.

Freeman recently released a Rod McKuen covers album called Marvelous Clouds, and plans on releasing an album of original material next.