CoS Exclusive FeaturesHotList 'Em Carefully

Music Collaborations We’d Like to See

on June 23, 2012, 12:40am

collaborations e1340221837620 Music Collaborations Wed Like to See

When I was about seven years old, I once asked my mother to buy me an action figure of Cliff Secord, the sky-flying hero from the 1991 box office flop, The Rocketeer. Terrified that I had abandoned my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, after I had spent over two years’ worth of allowance (AKA her money) on the countless series of figures, she basically replied, “Well, will the Rocketeer help out your Ninja Turtles?” The crossover idea never occurred to me at the time, but I quickly spun around with excited eyes and screamed back, “Mom, that’s a great idea!”

That’s the earliest memory I can think of in regards to a “collaboration,” which is pretty ridiculous given that I’m a child of the ’80s, and you couldn’t turn on Saturday morning cartoons without seeing some idiotic crossover PSA. But soon after that lightbulb moment, I couldn’t stop thinking about countless other crossover situations, and the ’90s only fueled that hunger. Robocop vs. Terminator? Freddy vs. Jason? Aliens vs. Predator? Hey, you could even toss in the NBA All-Star Games, too.

The idea of a collaboration in pop culture is exciting because it takes the best of two (or three, or four, or five, etc.) unique worlds and attempts to unify them into one powerful unit. It only works sparingly, though. Most of the time, a successful collaboration needs to be organic. Like all great relationships, it needs to feel right, it needs to feel good. That couldn’t speak any louder for collaborations in music.

With David Byrne and St. Vincent’s collaborative album, Love This Giant, on the horizon, Consequence of Sound opened up the dialogue on past successful collaborations, and then asked, “What about ones we’d like to see?” Just like a group of kids trading basketball cards and/or forming a plastic wasteland of assorted action figures, we came up with ten dynamite collaborations that we’d like to see. We tried to keep them as realistic as possible, too.

Perhaps you have some ideas, too. No?

-Michael Roffman
President/Editor-in-Chief

p.s. For those of you who also wished to see a Rocketeer/Ninja Turtles crossover, you have my condolences.

October 21, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Spot on with this write-up, I honestly feel this site needs much more attention. I’ll probably be back again to read more, thanks for the information!

the Tile Ninja
June 16, 2013 at 12:13 am

Beck with the remaining Beastie Boys. Dust brothers would produce (of course!)

anthony
June 15, 2013 at 11:25 pm

I’ve been wanting to see Jack White and Jack Black make some (most likely terrible) music together and call themselves Jack Grey.

inrime
June 4, 2013 at 9:26 pm

John Frusciante on Daft Punk.

Hempie
May 23, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Ian MacKaye and Titus Andronicus

Jake
June 24, 2012 at 11:13 am

kendrick lamar and bon iver

ben king
June 21, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I want a CoS surfboard tanktop!

Jacob Exploder Weingast
June 21, 2012 at 1:45 pm

jack white and the rza

Jeb Inge
June 21, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Lindsey Buckingham and Beach House
Martin Gore and Washed Out

loboincognito
June 21, 2012 at 12:54 pm

andre 3k // flying lotus

RM
June 21, 2012 at 11:44 am

Lou Reed and Metallica. That’s a can’t miss.

crperkins
June 21, 2012 at 10:27 am

Sleep and Panda Bear with the Melvins.

Andy Johnson
June 21, 2012 at 8:52 am

i know GZA is no fan of odd future

Day Polyester
June 21, 2012 at 7:39 am

Nicolas Jaar and James Blake? I would love that.

Maximiliano Florit
June 21, 2012 at 9:54 am

I’d add Jamie xx too :P

Day Polyester
June 27, 2012 at 9:32 am

Hell yeah, we now have a EP

zuzkopper11
June 21, 2012 at 12:24 am

I would like to see Robert Plant collaborate with Jimmy Page. I feel like those two would work very well together.

Jonah Hendricks
June 20, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Id actually love to see Coldplay collaborate with singer song-writer Alexz Johnson. Hell Justin Vernon should collaborate with her as well. She’s pretty underrated!