This weekend, Orion Music + More touches down in Atlantic City, NJ for two full days of metal, rock ‘n’ roll, and indie rock. It’s an eclectic lineup headed by Metallica, Arctic Monkeys, Avenged Sevenfold, Modest Mouse, and The Gaslight Anthem, with support from Fucked Up, Cage the Elephant, Best Coast, Gary Clark, Jr., Titus Andronicus, The Jim Breuer Heavy Metal Comedy Tour, etc. Did we say it’s an eclectic lineup already? Oh, right.
In anticipation of the festivities, our own Sami Jarroush (of Rock It Out! Blog) and Michael Zonenashvili put together a playlist of their favorite videos from the artists they’re most excited about catching this weekend. They’ve even included liner notes below as you watch each clip. So, go grab a Surge, kick back, and get ready to head bang.
01. Metallica – “One” - Not sure what’s sadder, the fact that James Hetfield’s hair is no longer what it used to be in this video, or the subject matter of Metallica’s “One”. Intercut with clips from ultimate downer Johnny Got His Gun, this one’s as close to a tearjerker as metal vids get.
02. Arctic Monkeys – “R U Mine” - Metallica said “Arctic Monkeys are a metal band in disguise.” Well, we’re not going to argue with Metallica, so if the Arctic Monkeys really are a metal band in disguise, the disguise is Alex Turner’s pretty face in the video for the post-Suck It And See track “R U Mine?”.
03. Avenged Sevenfold - “Beast and Harlot” - A trip through the redlight district with Avenged Sevenfold, if the red-light district was populated by vampires and demons. Remember 2004? When armbands and fedoras were cool?
04. Modest Mouse – “Ocean Breathes Salty” - Does Isaac Brock make a good scarecrow/dad figure? We think so.
05. Baroness – “A Horse Called Golgatha” - Somewhere between Satanic B-Movie mixed with interpretive dance, mixed with at least 30 standard Metal video tropes. That’s where this video falls. The YouTube comments are golden on this one too, guys.
06. Cage The Elephant – “Shake Me Down” - Another sad one, guys. What we think is a story of lovers reunited ends in a twist! All the while, it looks like the band is playing the song in a blanket fort.
07. Fucked Up – Queen of Hearts - Ever want to see a group of schoolchildren screaming the lyrics to a Fucked Up song? Here’s your chance.
08. Best Coast – “The Only Place” - Does anyone else cringe when someone jumps into a pool with a perfectly good guitar? Sure, it might be a prop guitar, but it still hurts. Watch Bethany Cosentino and Bobb Bruno toss shit around, spraypaint some stuff, and cause general havoc in the sun.
09. Red Fang – “Hank is Dead” - Who doesn’t love a metal band with a good sense of humor? This video features Red Fang in the shower together, a full band set in the back of a car, and an air guitar competition — all soundtracked by Red Fang’s stoner metal.
10. Titus Andronicus – “No Future Part 3: Escape from No Future” - As appropriate as it gets for Orion Fest, here’s a video welcome and brief tour of New Jersey hosted by Titus Andronicus.
11. A Place To Bury Strangers – “Ego Death” - Not much to discern in this video, but think of it as a psychedelic accompaniment to one of the loudest bands around today.
There are still tickets available to Orion Music + More. Pick up yours before it’s too late.