On this edition of Audiography, we feature reviews of Fragrant World, the newest release from the ever-evolving Yeasayer; the CoS Top Star-earning debut of Matthew E. White, Big Inner; and Talent, an album by bedroom project Heavenly Beat, from Beach Fossils’ John Pena.
We also feature an interview between Consequence of Sound’s Len Comaratta and Serj Tankian, lead vocalist for quasi-metal rockers System of a Down. While the band has been on hiatus, Tankian has released his second book of poetry and developed a musical production. Over the last year, he has also recorded a rock album, an electronic-based album, an experiment with avant garde jazz fusion, and his first-ever symphony, all with intended releases this year.
Listen in to hear Tankian discuss the surprising nature and gestation of Harakiri, an album being praised as some of the artist’s most intense rock since his earliest days in music, as well as the importance of artists constantly challenging themselves artistically while maintaining a balance within the industry. The two also discussed Tankian’s personal take on some of his most politically vitriolic songs.
01. Yeasayer - “Fingers Never Bleed” (excerpt), “Henrietta” (excerpt)
02. Matthew E. White – “Big Love” (excerpt), “Will You Love Me” (excerpt)
03. Heavenly Beat - “Faithless” (excerpt), “Lust” (excerpt)
04. Serj Tankian – “Figure It Out” (Harakiri)
05. System of a Down – “I-E-A-I-A-I-O” (Steal This Album)
06. System of a Down – “Chop Suey” (Toxicity)
07. Serj Tankian – “Elect the Dead” (Elect the Dead Symphony)
08. Serj Tankian – “Yes, It’s Genocide” (Imperfect Harmonies)
Audiography Episode 051 – ”Serj Tankian (of System of a Down)”
Written and Produced by Len Comaratta, Alex Young, Jeremy Larson, Ben Kaye, Michael Roffman, Adam Kivel, Jon Hadusek, Bryant Kitching, and Nick Freed.
Are you enjoying Audiography? Subscribe to the Podcast via iTunes!