For the second year in a row, record stores across the country will sell exclusive, limited-edition releases on Black Friday (November 23rd). This year’s crop features such names as Bob Dylan, The Beach Boys, David Bowie, The White Stripes, The Velvet Underground, Joe Strummer, Skrillex, and Joan Jett. We’ve narrowed down 10 particular highlights below; the full list is available at Record Store Day’s website.
– Bob Dylan – Duquesne Whistle 7″: Tempest single “Duquesne Whistle” backed by previously unreleased version of “Meet Me In The Morning” from the Blood on the Tracks sessions. Limited to 5,000 copies.
– Band of Horses – Sonic Ranch Sessions 7″: Tracks from the deluxe version of Mirage Rock, never before released on vinyl. Limited to 2,000 copies.
– Daniel Johnston – Fun: Singer-songwriter’s 1994 album available on vinyl for the first time. Limited to 2,000 copies.
– The Gaslight Anthem – Hold You Up 10″: Red vinyl contains three previously unreleased acoustic tracks — including cover of Bon Iver’s “Skinny Love”.
– Joe Strummer – Live at Action Town Hall: Vinyl recording of Strummer’s historic reunion with Mick Jones in 2002. Limited to 1,800 copies.
– My Morning Jacket – It Makes No Difference (Live ft. Brittany Howard) 10″: Orange vinyl contains live recording taken from Newport Folk Festival featuring Alabama Shakes’ Brittany Howard.
– Nirvana – 20th Anniversary Edition of Incesticide 45RPM Edition: Recompiled and remastered from the original analog master tape and recording sources by Bernie Grundman at Bernie Grundman Mastering Studios, Hollywood, this limited edition audiophile edition of Incesticide was pressed by Analogue Productions on two 180gram virgin vinyl discs and cut at 45 RPM vinyl for superior audio quality to past 33 1/3 RPM reissues. The faithful recreation of the jacket designed by Kurt Cobain includes the lyric sheet art and for the first time comes housed in a deluxe gatefold sleeve. Gold foiled stamped and individually numbered. Limited to 4,000 copies.
– The Shins – No Way Down / Fall of ’82 (Swift Sessions) 7″: “Swift Sessions” versions of two tracks from the latest album, Port of Morrow. Radically different and reimagined versions produced by Richard Swift. Limited to 2,5000 copies.
– The Velvet Underground – Velvet Underground & Nico – Scepter Studios Acetate: The rare April 1966 Scepter Studios recordings captured on acetate featuring early, alternate versions of songs later issued on The Velvet Underground & Nico available now for the first time ever on 180g vinyl, gold foil stamped with individual number. Limited to 5,000 copies.
– The White Stripes 7″ singles: Three early 45RPMS singles from the band repressed on red vinyl: “Fell in Love With a Girl” b/w “I Just Don’t Know What to Do With Myself”; “Hotel Yorba” (Live at the Hotel Yorba) b/w “Rated X” (Live at the Hotel Yorba); “Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground” b/w “Stop Breaking Down”