On this edition of Audiography, we feature reviews of Andrew Bird’s Hands of Glory, his companion piece to this year’s Break It Yourself; Tender New Signs, the latest dreamy haze by San Francisco shoegaze duo Tamaryn; and, the guitar wunderkind Gary Clark Jr. and his major label debut Blak and Blu. We also feature an interview between Consequence of Sound‘s Len Comaratta and Jody Stephens, drummer from the legendary and influential group Big Star.
With a new documentary about Big Star near completion, Stephens discussed the film and his involvement in its production. He also traveled back to the beginning of Big Star, talked about the band’s classic albums, its dissolution and eventual reformation, and the chaotic genius of Alex Chilton.
01. Andrew Bird – If I Needed You (excerpt), Orpheo (excerpt)
02. Tamaryn Prizma (excerpt), Violets In a Pool (excerpt)
03. Gary Clark, Jr. You Saved Me (excerpt), Third Stone From the Sun / If You Love Me Like You Say (excerpt)
04. Big Star – Thirteen (#1 Record)
05. Big Star – For You (Third / Sister Lovers)
06. Big Star – Kangaroo (Third / Sister Lovers)
07. Big Star – September Gurls (Radio City)
08. Big Star – The Ballad of El Goodo (#1 Record)
Audiography: Episode 061: Jody Stephens (of Big Star)
Written and produced by Len Comaratta, Alex Young, Michael Roffman, Adam Kivel, Bryant Kitching, Chris Coplan, and Nick Freed.
Are you enjoying Audiography? Subscribe to the Podcast via iTunes!