New MusicNews

New Music: Alice in Chains – “Hollow”

on December 18, 2012, 12:44pm

alice in chains New Music: Alice in Chains   Hollow

With guitarist/vocalist Jerry Cantrell all patched up after his shoulder surgery, ’90s grunge rockers Alice in Chains are set to return next spring with their new as-yet-untitled album. Besides the fact that it reunites the band with Black Gives Way to Blue producer Nick Raskulinecz, not much has been revealed about the 2013 release. That is — except for a lyric video for one of the new songs, “Hollow”.

Production for the clip was largely crowdsourced, as it features Instagram pictures shot by fans. Recently, the band tweeted and instagrammed the song’s lyrics on their accounts, asking fans to create shots featuring a word or a phrase. After compiling photos from around the globe, they came up with the final product below.

“Hollow” will be available on iTunes on January 8th. Stay tuned for more on the new record.

disqus_jHu0QGcI2B
December 20, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I know I’ll get attacked for this….Good song, not great good. But, for me it is forcing me to realize something. I have been trying like crazy, wanting since BGWTB was released to like this version. And it is ok, not bad. But it does not have the same effect on me as when Layne sang. I didn’t try or want to like them with Layne, it just happened. I heard them, it grabbed me and made me love the sound, the feel. I want the new stuff to have the same effect, more than anything. It just doesn’t. I’M NOT criticizing at all, just saying what I haven’t wanted to admit for 3 years now. I will keep following and hope it hits me again, like it used to.

Jason Smith
December 19, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I have to say that it’s a horrible fucking disgrace to the band name and I hope that Layne Staley rises from the dead on 12-21, hunts down Jerry Cantrell and Duvall to forcefully remove their collective larynx’s so they can’t pollute the airwaves with anything so horrible ever again. I’d rather listen to Justin Bieber. True story.

David S.
December 19, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I agree. The riff isn’t great.This song “hollow” is just average even if i don’t like to say that. I really hope the new album is above in term of quality. And i’m sure it is because they are great. They are smart enough to keep the great ones for the LP, aren’t they ?

I just really hope this song isn’t the first single. Come on guys …

meh
December 19, 2012 at 2:39 am

This song summed up….”eh” and ya I agree, just sort of a stock riff b side sounding song. Not much vitality similar to the new Soundgarden album. Just going through the motions.

Guest
December 19, 2012 at 2:27 am

Great Job Jerry ! Cantrell creates another song that stays true to the sound of Alice n Chains ! So with Willie as the lead signer not Lane RIP .. That being said for this band to resemble the sounds of the band I grew up loving in the 90’s its a remarkable job . Maybe the guy below should listen
to THE KILLERS if hes looking for HARMONIES in a rock band JUST SAYING !

meh
December 19, 2012 at 2:44 am

Ummm…Alice in Chains are known for their amazing vocal harmonies. No Excuses, Down in a Hole, Got Me Wrong….list goes on.

Guest
December 18, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Damn. That was disappointing. I thought the music was very repetitive. The singing was just muddy. They are no longer doing harmonies but just having two people sing the same thing until it becomes drowned out. This sort of reminds me of how the new Soundgarden is. Maybe this is just a b-side they are willing to put out so as to not give up any of the tracks that made the new album cut.

Robert Locke