Psy used to rap about killing American soldiers and their families

on December 07, 2012, 4:22pm

psy Psy used to rap about killing American soldiers and their families

Since my knowledge of White House operations is culled specifically from Aaron Sorkin’s West Wing, I imagine this is what’s happening in the White House right now: The real-life Josh Lyman just burst through the door of the real-life C.J. Cregg to reveal the news just posted by New York Magazine. “C.J. Cregg” then bursts through the door of the real-life Leo McGarry, who then interrupts President Obama’s meeting with the joint chiefs to say, “We have a problem.”

If you haven’t yet clicked that link to NY Mag, here’s the deal: 2012 Internet sensation Psy — the South Korean musician behind the year’s fourth best video, “Gangham Style” — is supposed to perform this Sunday at the National Building Museum’s Christmas in Washington concert. President Obama is scheduled to be in attendance. The problem? Busan Harps magazine just googled up some old song lyrics by Psy, and found this contained within his 2004 collaboration with N.E.X.T. entitled, “Dear American”:

Kill those fucking Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives
Kill those fucking Yankees who ordered them to torture
Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law and fathers
Kill them all slowly and painfully

A bit of context: The song was released after an Iraqi terrorist group captured and beheaded a South Korean translator in revenge for the country’s support of the U.S. war in Iraq. Either way, I don’t think Psy and Obama will do the dance horse together come Sunday.

Update: Psy has issued a statement in response to today’s news.

As a proud South Korean who was educated in the United States and lived there for a very significant part of my life, I understand the sacrifices American servicemen and women have made to protect freedom and democracy in my country and around the world. The song in question – from eight years ago – was part of a deeply emotional reaction to the war in Iraq and the killing of two innocent Korean civilians that was part of the overall antiwar sentiment shared by others around the world at that time. While I’m grateful for the freedom to express one’s self I’ve learned there are limits to what language is appropriate and I’m deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted. I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused anyone by those words.

I have been honored to perform in front of American soldiers in recent months – including an appearance on the Jay Leno show specifically for them – and I hope they and all Americans can accept my apology. While it’s important we express our opinions, I deeply regret the inflammatory and inappropriate language I used to do so. In my music I try to give people a release, a reason to smile. I have learned that though music, our universal language we can all come together as a culture of humanity and I hope that you will accept my apology.

Daniel John MacDonald
December 19, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Well now he’s suckling at America’s teat so i think he’ll learn to shut his mouth, they all hate America but they all love American money!

melyssa
December 17, 2012 at 9:29 pm

freedom of speech. sounds like psy’s apology is just another political statement to keep his hype in the U.S. He’s not the only one that feels that way about Americans. Especially when we keep getting involved in issues that don’t concern us. Imperialism continues…

Jacquie G
December 13, 2012 at 11:46 am

I think your headline is inflammatory, making it sound like it was all he chose to sing about, rather than lyrics to a single song. I understand his reaction & perspective. I don’t think he intended to disrespect individual soldiers in the conflict, but at the time “America” was not very popular because of that war. At home & abroad. The president at the time was in the wrong country, fighting for the wrong reason & putting innocent lives on the line. More than just Korean rappers had things to say about it.

chirco
December 11, 2012 at 4:24 pm

No matter the context or time frame, those lyrics are douche bag lyrics, no matter if he’s talking about americans or iraqis or koreans, killing daughters and family members? not cool in any language, culture or anything.

Alex Vance
December 10, 2012 at 4:36 pm

kind of a sensationalist headline, esp regarding the context and psy’s response. dont you think, consequence of sound? or should i say, Hitler

Jen Hume Ludolf
December 8, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Ice-T sang about “Cop Killers” now he plays a cop on tv

Gemma
December 7, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Hrm. A few things about this:

1. Oh, an individual from another country said something resentful about America vis a vis its foreign policy. I assure you, I’m shocked and appalled. Please allow me to disguise this with dull apathy. The following emoticon will serve this purpose well. :/

2. This was supposedly said when anti-U.S. sentiment was pretty widespread. We’re really going to condemn this one guy for saying something that thousands of others were saying every day?

3. Eight years is a long time for someone to change their mind about things. Considering how many appearances Psy has made stateside since he blew up here and how friendly and open he’s been during those appearances, I’m seriously wondering if he harbors the same feelings.

Andy_H_Hudson
December 7, 2012 at 5:40 pm

What a jerk…. bunch of fucking terroriists beheaded a s. Korean man, and its not because they are animals that have no mercy on no one, and serve death and allah, but the fault is on the american soldiers. and their families for fighting these animals and making them “angry”, its like after sep. 11 people blamed the american policy which true can be wrong some times, but it didn’t create the islamic haters towards the western world. its there since the 7th century people. what is not “dar al-Islam” (land of islam) is “dar al-harb” which means land of infidels. those they must kill and conquer. what we see now in the world – got nothing to do with western world nowadays. its fucked up people with fucked up regimes that blowing their own people up- Syria, libya, Yaman, Gaza, Egypt, Iran…. Christ people wake up. and im confiscating this s.korean shit

Tyler Wilson
December 10, 2012 at 3:25 pm

yeah all that probably justifies killing 100,000+ Iraqi civilians. Terrorists are the true villains…

Lost Trail
December 28, 2012 at 2:02 am

wow, the brainwashed propaganda. i guess you cant accept
that those countries have justifiable reasons to hate us…

Lost Trail
December 28, 2012 at 2:03 am

those they must kill and conquer…you mean like the US has always done?

Dzianis B
December 7, 2012 at 4:37 pm

You realize that rappers in the US rap about that too, right? :)

Edisaurus
December 7, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Who said they weren’t assholes, too?

David Sutter
December 7, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Something like Abu Ghraib should make foreign people hate us. I see no problem here.

Edisaurus
December 7, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Good for you. Let’s all promote more hate.

Lost Trail
December 28, 2012 at 2:01 am

you’re right. people who torture human beings and treat them like absolute filth should be forgiven and forgotten. don’t want to hurt their feelings.

Lou Malnatti
December 7, 2012 at 3:15 pm

wow harsh song lyrics criticizing a pointless war from over 8 years ago? i’m sure there will be outrage…..