Late Night PerformancesNews

Watch Led Zeppelin’s super boring interview on Letterman

on December 04, 2012, 5:40pm

Zeppelin Letterman

The surviving members of Led Zeppelin — Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, and John Paul Jones — made a rare television appearance on Monday night’s episode of Late Show with David Letterman. Coming on the heels of the band’s celebration at the Kennedy Center Honors, Letterman dedicated a majority of the interview to charting their influences, specifically focusing on fellow honoree Buddy Guy, and the decision to break up following John Bonham’s death.

The interview offered little new for diehard Zeppelin fans, and at times was almost cringe worthy. Letterman described Bonham as “your [unnamed] drummer who died,” and also asked the band to “help me out with a description” for their sound. However, the band appeared to find Letterman’s style comical, especially when he referenced Jack Black’s description of their music as about “sex, Vikings, and Vikings having sex.”

If you missed it, catch the replay below (via The Audio Perv).

Jeremy Shatan
December 5, 2012 at 4:41 pm

JPJ saved it. Letterman was halting and, dare I say, “uncool.” I did not feel there was any real affinity for their music from him – he’s been told they’re important but I don’t think he really gets it.

Jack Duplex
December 5, 2012 at 6:17 am

The president’s theme song is no longer ” Hail to the Chief”. It is now ” The Lemon Song”.

****************The Led Zeppelin Game*******************************************

See how many zep songs you can name !!

Quarter is what we Americans got stuck with. No Thanksgiving dinner for
Ambassador Stevens, who got shown the stairway to Heaven way to soon.
Yes, having to see the lying Marxist obama getting a photo op with our
beloved Led Zep was a Heartbreaker to say the least. Don’t bring it on
home to me, you can keep it.

I still haven’t recovered from
being dazed and confused from trying to understand how this bumbling
evil demon got enough votes to be our president. If that’s not bad
enough, one of my all time favorite bands show up by invitation and have
a celebration day with the devil.

Was this really an honor
for Led Zeppelin to be worshiped in one of these phony house’s of the
holy? This event amounts to what is and what should never be. I really
don’t enjoy feeling sick again but I have to take a hard look to where
this all leads. Tell me friends, when it comes down to the final Battle
of Evermore, who’s side are you on?

I still like the
Immigrant Song but I will never accept the “Illegal” Immigrant Song. I’m
not ok with illegal criminals on a night flight heading north, sneaking
up from Mexico every day as America gets trampled under foot.

I say to you obama, your time is gonna come, along with all the evil
minded people that worship you as you lead them to the gallow’s pole.
I’d call you a black dog, but I won’t stoop that low to insult these
animals I happen to love no matter what color they are.

I
ask you, Led Zep, how many more times are you gonna help let this fraud
of a world leader pull the wool over people’s eyes? We, the loyal
consumers that still buy your albums and concert tickets are stuck with
this evil POS. He is a living demon that you just endorsed by embracing
him in the light and looking like such good friends. When I see him on a
screen, all I want to do is bean him with a tangerine. Yeah, I know,
getting ready for a steady diet of the Wonton Song isn’t your problem
yet, but someday it might bite you in the ass. Some might call me an
alarmist, but isn’t that what they called Paul Revere? I’ll take the
British coming over the Chinese anytime.

Page, Plant and
JPJ, after you leave here, what’s next? Going to California? What a
pathetic state that has now become under obama liberals. It’s changed a
lot since you wrote that great song. Instead, how about a few days of
pleasure hanging out with Hugo Chavez down by the seaside looking out
over the ocean? That’s the way to do it, ’cause I’m sure he’d like to
have his picture taken with you too. It must be nice to get filthy rich
from loyal Americans along with corrupt money from dictators and then
disappear to somewhere over the hills and far away.

So when
the levee breaks, don’t worry about a thing. You won’t have to run for
your life because you guys will be long gone. There will be no dancing
days for us though due to the long lasting plague called the obama
crunge. I don’t mind the good times-bad times days of old, but what this
all amounts to now is a rain song of pee getting splattered over our
once glorious country. You guys were able to get out of town heading for
south bound Suarez before it turned into a downpour. Anyway, it was
good seeing you three again. And, as always, thanks for the custard pie.

So, how many Zep songs did you find?

fritzo2162
December 4, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I thought the interview was great! John was hilarious :) Not sure what you wanted…them to break out ukuleles or something?

Dave Goldstein
December 4, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Frankly, I enjoyed the interview and thought John Paul Jones was hilariously droll. Letterman’s researchers did a poor job of prepping him, but they certainly seemed to like him. Reminds me of Plant’s interview, probably around 1988 where he called out Letterman for being an alumnus of “Balls College” (rather than Ball State).

markfive
December 4, 2012 at 12:52 pm

The fault was Letterman’s, not Zeppelin’s. The questions were abysmally pedestrian.

MrNice Guy
December 4, 2012 at 12:14 pm

go on stern and get a real interview going!

Mark Balthazor
December 4, 2012 at 11:09 am

Letterman is a moron. Jack Black is moron too. It’s a shame that Led Zeppelin had to suffer these fools.

Sarah Darer Littman
December 4, 2012 at 8:21 am

The fact that it was super boring can be laid at the feet of Letterman and his researchers, if they can be even deemed worth of that name. They had a rare opportunity to interview some of the greatest rock musicians of all time, and phoned it in. Proof, as if any more were needed, that Letterman jumped the shark years ago.