CoS Exclusive FeaturesDissectedHot

Dissected: Fleetwood Mac

on January 31, 2013, 12:00pm

Dissected: Fleetwood Mac

Welcome to Dissected, where we disassemble a band’s catalogue in the abstract. It’s exact science by way of a few beers.

Over the course of four decades, numerous lineup changes, and 17 studio releases, Fleetwood Mac has transformed from a British blues quartet of guitar prodigies into a truly “classic” band with more longevity than most could ever fathom having.

Appealing to anyone from the Deadheads and cokeheads of the ‘70s and ‘80s, to 20-somethings in Urban Outfitters and dive bars, Fleetwood Mac has always culled from the experiences and emotions that no one else would consider withstanding long enough to take away something special. That is precisely the reason why this messy, emotional, fascinating group of individuals almost always arrives at a place that is greater than the sum of its parts. From Mick and Stevie’s affair and Jeremy Spencer’s run-in with the Children of God, to “Fake Mac’s” first bogus tour, the revolving cast has always been dependable when it comes to incorporating drama into their personal lives, and subsequently, back into their music.

In honor of Fleetwood Mac’s enduring crystal vision and their 2013 world tour, let’s take a moment to remember their music and everything in between.

Johnny On the Spot
July 3, 2013 at 5:49 pm

I like your reviews. Short and to the point, no b.s. But I can’t understand why no one else but die-hard Fleewtood Mac fans really appreciate the Bare Trees album. I first heard Bare Trees in the mid-1990’s — at the time I was not a Fleetwood Mac fan. Not at all. But anyhow, I played the Bare Trees cassette & immediately liked it. It sounded to me like ‘slightly jazzed-up country rock’, pretty cool. It’s still one of my favorite rock albums since. Afterward I started going back into Fleetwood Mac’s early catalog. But the Bare Trees album definitely sounds the most ‘together’ of those.

Ali
February 1, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I don’t know where to begin with the factual errors in this article. Timelines have been scrambled.

iguy704
February 1, 2013 at 12:10 am

Oh Daddy is not a non-essential track, I don’t want to know is. Oh Daddy is one of the best Christine songs, it is both dark and beautiful. While I love I Don’t Want to Know, I don’t feel the same energy as I do in Oh Daddy

Michael Thompson
January 31, 2013 at 2:32 pm

“The Chain” is on Rumours – not Tusk. That being said, this is a really awesome piece. Thanks!

Jeremy D. Larson
January 31, 2013 at 3:37 pm

D’oh. If it please the court, we all definitely know “The Chain” is on Rumours however this was a copy and paste error from formatting the feature.

Here’s a video of a bunch of men dancing to “The Chain”

Christopher Petkus
January 31, 2013 at 2:15 pm

“The Chain” is actually on Rumours.

Braden Pace
January 31, 2013 at 2:09 pm

“The Chain” was on Rumours, not Tusk.

kuwaitmusic