HotNews

R.I.P. The Mars Volta

on January 23, 2013, 11:26pm

themarsvolta R.I.P. The Mars Volta

Frontman Cedric Bixler-Zavala has left The Mars Volta, effectively putting an end to the band. Bixler-Zavala announced his departure in a lengthy statement posted on Twitter, writing, “I can’t sit here and pretend any more. I no longer am a member of Mars Volta.”

Bixler-Zavala specifically expressed frustration toward bandmate Omar Rodríguez-López for not wanting to tour behind their latest album, Noctourniquet, adding, “What am I suppose to do be some progressive house wife that’s cool with watching their partner go fuck other bands?” He also mentioned a desire to reunite with former bandmates Jon Theodore and Ikey Owens, but concluded, “sadly it’s over.”

Formed from the ashes of At the Drive-In in 2001, The Mars Volta released six albums, starting with their renowned 2003 debut, De-Loused in the Comatorium. Their revolving door lineup led to collaborations with Flea and John Frusciante, among others, and in 2009 the band won the Grammy Award for Best Hard Rock Performance.

Here’s Bixler-Zavala’s full statement:

Thank u 2 all VOLTA fans u deserved more especially after the way u rooted for us on this album. I tried my hardest to keep it going… But Bosnian Rainbows was what we all got instead. I can’t sit here and pretend any more. I no longer am a member of Mars Volta… I honestly thank all of you for buying our records and coming to our shows. You guys were a blast to play in front of. We could never had done it with out you. My dream was to get us to the point were Jon Theodore and Ikey Owens came back but sadly it’s over. Thank u a million times over for ever giving a fuck about our band.

For the record I tried my hardest to get a full scale North American tour going for Noctourniquet but Omar did not want to. All I can do is move forward with my music and just be happy that mars volta ever happened at all. God Damn we had a blast. Thank u again. I just feel really guilty for not even really saying the truth because a hiatus is just an insult to the fans. To all our fans all over the world thank you for giving a fuck. You all ruled! I don’t think ill ever hear a fist full of dollars the same. My record will see the light of day soon and I’m excited because it sounds nothing like my previous endeavors. And no I’m not joking about any of this, I owe it 2 u guys to all fans to be serious about this.

Thank u to all past members who helped Volta along as well. we blasted through like a comet and left our mark! If u ever see me in person and want to know why I’ll tell u my story. Please just be happy that it happened at all remember all the opposition we were met with for just starting a new band back in 2001.

And for the record I’m still in love with [At the Drive-In]. Proof was in MY performance. I would never get on stage if my heart was else where. I have cancelled shows before for knowing full well that my heart was not in it at that moment. Why? Because its an insult to the audience.

2 be clear I’m not angry I just wanted to be honest with the people who have allowed me to make a living playing music. What am I suppose to do be some progressive house wife that’s cool with watching their partner go fuck other bands? We owe it 2 fans to tour.

Ointment
January 24, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Noooooooo…. This shit sucks…..Omars like david byrne, “I am so much better than the rest of you, I am the band”…..I hate that shit, it sucks such amazing musicians have such shitty egos.

Danny Allison
January 24, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I cannot think of any other partnership that equates in modern music. Just so complimentary. simultaneously ground-breaking and evocative. Truthfully, I’ve been waiting to see the aftermath of the split since I heard the tone on Noctourniquet.

Evan Hartman
January 24, 2013 at 11:18 am

Divas

Nick L.
January 24, 2013 at 12:44 am

The Mars Volta reunion show at Coachella 2013! Callin it!

LordVolta
January 24, 2013 at 12:39 am

What a kick to the balls.

Luis F. Alonso
January 24, 2013 at 12:35 am

Classic Cedric, playing the blame game and pointing the finger at Omar. Upon seeing the reunited At the Drive-In at Coachella last year, this guy will never grow some balls and mature for once.

I Rifai
January 24, 2013 at 3:55 am

Dude, it was always Omar’s band. He always called the shots. I believe Cedric in all of this. How is he pointing the finger when he’s said he’s no longer a member of The Mars Volta? The only way that could have happened is if Omar kicked him out or if he, himself, left. Looking at the ATD-I performances, you could see Cedric put his heart into it and the only one who did it for the wrong reasons was Omar. Omar is the one coming off as an a**hole in all of this. He claimed he didn’t want to be a ‘dictator’ anymore, yet that is exactly what he is.

Jared Burton
January 24, 2013 at 5:15 am

Yeah dude… get your nose out of omars b-hole. Everyone in the universe knows that this dude is an asshole but yet we all listen to his music because he’s a talented musician. Its exactly like maynard from too… we all know he’s a dick, but who cares… its good. But he chose bosnian rainbows over Volta, besides touring for a record the band made… when it all comes down to it Omar is just another guitarist… pompous.

Michael Steinkohl
January 24, 2013 at 4:43 pm

The Mars Volta has been a revolving door for musicians ever since Jon Theodore and Ikey Owens left. 2 Keys players, 5 bassists (if you include the brief period with Flea), and 5 drummers. We all know Cedric is a diva, but this definitely says something about Omar. Perhaps he needs new musicians to ignite creativity but he has definitely let a lot of AMAZING talent walk out the door.

Rory Biller