CoS Exclusive FeaturesFestival CoverageHot

Bonnaroo’s 2013 Lineup: One Day Later

on February 20, 2013, 12:00pm

bonnaroo 2013 lineup poster Bonnaroos 2013 Lineup: One Day Later

Yesterday, as my KPM proficiency was put to the test transcribing the Bonnaroo Lineup Announcement Megathon, this dawned on me: booking Bonnaroo must be a lot more difficult than booking Coachella.

Just think about it: Coachella takes places in April, and though its expansion to two weekends has undoubtedly made booking headliners and foreigners more difficult, the festival faces no competition. Fact is, there are no major music festivals that take place the same two weekends as Coachella.

However, during the same weekend of Bonnaroo 2013, festivals such as Isle of Wight, Download, Pinkpop, Hultsfred, Sonar, Nova Rock, and NorthSide take place in parts elsewhere around the world. Prior to today, these festivals have already booked The Killers, The Stone Roses, Portishead, Phoenix, Queens of the Stone Age, The Knife, Arctic Monkeys, Modest Mouse, Bloc Party, The Flaming Lips, SBTRKT, and more. (Here’s a column idea for one of you aspiring journalists: discover how much money a band can make playing three European festivals in one weekend compared to a one-off at Bonnaroo.)

Thus, when you factor in the competition, Bonnaroo’s 2013 lineup becomes all that more impressive. Regardless, festival promoters still managed to book three legit headliners and several others who will no doubt close stages at other American festivals. They also booked a formidable mid-tier portion of the lineup, locking in stalwarts (Björk, The National, Cat Power, David Byrne & St. Vincent), rising newcomers (Tame Impala, Earl Sweatshirt, Death Grips), and oddball veterans (Billy Idol!?!? R. Kelly?!?!?) Another fascinating trait of the lineup? There’s not a single reunion.

As of today, Bonnaroo has pieced together by far and away the best lineup of any North American music festival in 2013. It remains to be seen what Lollapalooza and Outside Lands have in the works, but at least in regards to Bonnaroo, not since 2009 have we been salivating at the idea of spending a weekend in the dusty, dried out confines of Manchester, Tennessee.

-Alex Young
CEO/Publisher

CallMeGoldie
February 20, 2013 at 10:33 pm

amen amen amen. this will be my SEVENTH year in a row and i couldn’t be happier! yeaaah!!

Wes Carter
February 20, 2013 at 10:15 pm

This is one of the best lineups I’ve seen in a few years. There are always going to be acts I wish were there, but once I’m at Bonnaroo I forget about it. They do a killer job of making a cohesive event with something for everyone for most of the day and night. But they outdid themselves this year.

Juan Suarez
February 20, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Os Mutantes are coming…burned a fatty with Sergio a few weeks ago and he told me so himself …look them up on YouTube…psychedelic pioneers PLUS it’s a re-union…don’t we have to have re-union at ‘roo? And, last year we had an overlooked Jack Bruce, this year we get John “Mahavishnu” McClaughlin !!!! Out of sight ! oh, and for all you doubters/haters, I saw McCartney play Yankee Stadium two years back, and it was 3 hours of absolute magic. No break. No intermission. Paul played for almost three hours and it was one of the best shows ever ! Up there with seeing the original Pink Floyd play the Wall, up there with seeing and meeting Stevie Ray Vaughan in a jazz club, up there with seeing Bill Bruford play Close To The Edge live with ABWH, Paul rocks and if John were alive he’d be driving to Tennessee as well…..

Casey Smith
February 20, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Not hating on this line up, because it’s stacked…but the lack of jam bands is truly disheartening. Bonnaroo has become a place where hipsters, hippies, old farts and ravers unite…doesn’t seem like it’s gonna be that way this year.

Lauren Lever
February 20, 2013 at 6:14 pm

the lack of jam bands seems encouraging, to me

Evan Nelson
February 21, 2013 at 12:10 am

Bonnaroo wouldn’t be what it is today without jam bands. A lot of people forget that.

Adam Marks
February 22, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I really hope to see Warren branch off and do some of the Super Jams. A Yonder addition would be great too.

Rory Biller
February 20, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Best part of the lineup. Phish isn’t on it.

Wes Carter
February 20, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I really don’t care if someone I don’t like is at a music festival. There are always plenty of other things to do and see.

Aaadam!
February 20, 2013 at 1:52 pm

The addition of more electronic acts this year was a very pleasant surprise. Now how about one more higher profile “punk” band to go along with Gaslight Anthem & Frank Turner. Descendents, Bad Religion, Against Me!, The Bronx

Logan
February 21, 2013 at 1:56 pm

While the Ron Reyes/ Greg Ginn reunion is playing in Tennessee in late August, I wouldn’t be surprised if you find a BF reunion at Bonnaroo announced later.

Adam Marks
February 22, 2013 at 5:17 pm

I would say its maybe lacking electronic acts…. Pretty Lights, Porter Robinson, Wolfgang Gartner, and Boys Noize are the only familiar acts for me at least. A Deadmau5 addition would be nice and would feed my electronic appetite.

With that said I am amazingly content with the lineup. I would say that there is a definite influx of “indie rock” (a pretty broad term i understand) synth rock, pop rock… what have you. Not a bad thing by any means.

I’d like to see Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Vampire Weekend, Postal Service, or MGMT added later on. Either way I’ll be there with a smile.

Cheers.