Mindless Self Indulgence accuse Jack White of ripping them off

on April 01, 2013, 3:08pm

Mindless Self Indulgence

Mindless Self Indulgence is a self-described electronic punk band from New York City whose Facebook page lists My Chemical Romance and Morningwood as “Artists We Also Like”. They’ve toured with Korn and Sum 41, and even formed their own record label called Uppity Cracker. They also have a song called “Faggot”.

Jimmy Urine is the lead singer of Mindless Self Indulgence. If you strain really hard, you may hear a slight vocal resemblance to Jack White of The White Stripes, Raconteurs, Dead Wheater, et al. However, for Urine, that’s enough to accuse White of “ripping off” Mindless Self Indulgence — whatever that means.

Here’s the transcript of Urine’s rant from the band’s show at the Marquee Theatre in Phoenix on Friday night:

“Hey Jack, how’s the new record that sounds just like me? Hope you’re enjoying that Grammy you didn’t win. You ripped off the wrong motherfucker if you want to win a Grammy. Hey Jack, we don’t mind if you ripped us off — just say that you ripped us off. Listen to me, Jack: 1.) You have to get back together with Meg and start The White Stripes again, and 2.) You need to learn to stop giving a shit and love Mindless Self Indulgence, bitch. I don’t care if you ripped us off — just admit it. And scene.

And here’s the video:

Two real quick thoughts here: 1.) Urine does know White has already won a bunch of Grammys, right? So clearly he ripped off the right motherfucker. 2.) He seems genuinely sincere with his plea for a White Stripes reunion, which makes this whole thing all the more confusing.

Anyways, if you’re interested, here’s what Mindless Self Indulgence sound like:

Thanks to CoS reader Luis for the heads up…

'

March 24, 2014 at 9:41 am

I’ve been to SIX mindless self indulgence shows, there isn’t a more entertaining show. He did seem a little serious but jimmy just spews random funny crap. I doubt this ment anything, his whole thing IS satire.

Gregory Londos
June 17, 2013 at 4:55 am

This is really bad journalism.

ivan
May 21, 2013 at 5:47 am

I think its funny how everyones taking him serious xD
You all know hes kidding right????

Obed España
April 30, 2013 at 2:18 am

ALRIGHT. SO WHATS THE POINT OF YOUR BITCHING ALEX YOUNG? jack white ripped off lots of led zeppelin hooks so…?

Andrew David Brown
April 12, 2013 at 3:51 am

Good ‘ole Jimmy Urine, screwin’ with the media xD

Christo Simmons
April 7, 2013 at 1:58 pm

I’ve been a fan of Jack White and MSI for years. The new Jack White single I heard did have tinges of Jimmy’s vocal style to it. For a moment there I did think MSI had a grown-up song on the radio but alas White’s style comes crashing through.

Deep Sigh
April 6, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Last tour they held seances to speak to Whitney Houston and they have prayed to Panic! At The Disco begging them to let them understand their ways. It’s MSI, obviously whoever wrote this has never heard of them or their sense of humor. This article is a joke and the writer should delete it.

By the way, they like MCR and Morningwood because members of their band are MARRIED to the lead singers of those bands.

Tcsnguy12
April 4, 2013 at 7:21 pm

I was at this show last week. I’m really surprised it’s made this much news. He said many other things to get the crowd riled up as well. But, he did stop the show and told everyone to take out their phones and record him. Jimmy is definitely a good showman and when you see him first hand you see how good he can work a crowd. Whether or not he actually meant what he was saying, seeing it myself, I would say he was just playing the crowd.

$47081896
April 1, 2013 at 9:57 pm

“Facebook page lists My Chemical Romance and Morningwood as “Artists We Also Like””

Yeah, that’s because Jimmy and LynZ (bassist for MSI) are married to individuals from My Chemical Romance and Morningwood. Jimmy is married to the singer of Morningwood, and LynZ is married to Gerard Way.

uckF
April 2, 2013 at 10:05 pm

yeah, no shit, funny underpants exchanges are a thing to be expected in marriage of that sort.

uwbadgers16
April 1, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I’ll never get the short time I spent watching that video back. Long live Jack White and good music!

Emma Orland
April 1, 2013 at 5:57 pm

This article is funny because it takes the things that Jimmy Urine says seriously. (note for the future: don’t)

Alex Young
April 1, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Noted

Aaron J Poehler
April 1, 2013 at 2:22 pm

It’s a joke, geniuses. Today of all days your humor sense should be a little more acute.

Kristin Bratwurst Howard
April 1, 2013 at 1:34 pm

it’s MSI, you can’t take anything jimmy says on stage seriously.

uckF
April 2, 2013 at 10:03 pm

except for the lyrics.

Nathan Cunningham
April 1, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Fans of MSI will not be surprised by this, they have been professional trolls their entire career.

uckF
April 2, 2013 at 10:01 pm

I am not surprised by this, go fuck an elephant-like donkey like your mother.

MapleLaugher
April 1, 2013 at 1:15 pm

ummmm… not seeing or hearing the resemblance. I guess we can chalk this up to mindless self indulgence of the jealous ego?

uckF
April 2, 2013 at 10:06 pm

or we could chalk this all up into a good bag of COFUCKINGCAIN

MapleLaugher
April 3, 2013 at 11:46 am

TOUCHÉ

inklenotrump
April 1, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Delusions of grandeur?

Nick Taylor
April 1, 2013 at 12:48 pm

April fools?

Alex Young
April 1, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Nope

uckF
April 2, 2013 at 10:03 pm

marilyn manson is a woman.