CoS Exclusive FeaturesHotList 'Em Carefully

Top 20 Queens of the Stone Age Songs

on May 31, 2013, 12:02am

qotsa Top 20 Queens of the Stone Age Songs

From their bluesy stoner rock origins up to their current status as rock ‘n’ roll royalty, Queens of the Stone Age have navigated one of the more interesting paths to rock stardom over the past decade-plus.

The band’s devastating one-two combo of 2000’s Rated R and 2002’s Songs for the Deaf gave mainstream rock the kick in the ass it desperately needed at the start of the new millennium, proving that high-minded artistic ambition could be met with critical and commercial success.

Later, both 2005’s Lullabies To Paralyze and 2007’s Era Vulgaris kept the band’s weird musical mechanism running. Now, on the eve of their star-studded sixth studio album, …Like Clockwork, we revisit the psych-metal gurus’ finest musical moments.

Emilio
May 17, 2014 at 12:11 pm

what about you can’t quit me baby
thats like one of the greatest songs of all time

Stephen
February 26, 2014 at 8:22 am

Here’s a better list right here in no particular order…

Avon, infinity, 18A.D., the blood is love, someone’s in the wolf, regular john, if only, in the fade, how to handle a rope, I sat by the ocean, I appear missing, the lost art of keeping a secret, better living through chemistry, tangled up in plaid, walking on the sidewalks…. Damn list goes on but why are none of these songs in anybody’s top 10-20 list??? Note to the author: don’t make a too 20 list if you don’t know the band

Nick Freed
February 26, 2014 at 9:42 am

You may want to take another look at the list because there are probably 3-5 that you listed that ARE on the list. Thanks for the other suggestions though!

Chris Mason
July 1, 2013 at 5:51 pm

You Can’t Quit Me Baby and Avon deserve an honorable mention as well.

YCQMB especially, the way it sarcastically builds into this manic, rapid fury of sound mixed with Homme crooning “you’re solid gold, i’ll see you in hell” really exemplifies what kind of vibe/environment QOTSA tries to provoke.

Chris Mason
July 1, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Also I’m Designer b/c of “counter proposal I go home and jerk off” is deserving just for that line.

Izzy LaBranch
June 26, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Umm Regular John, You can’t quit me baby, Into the hollow… Tangled up in plaid??? Come on guys!

peteywheats
June 8, 2013 at 2:41 am

“Regular John” & “If Only” Should be on a top song list. Any top song list.

Rob Malan
June 6, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Really, no Misfit Love or Songs For The Deaf? God Is In The Radio? Hanging Tree?No One Knows is decent but nowhere near their zenith. What about This Lullabye? Great album opener. 3 & 7’s is one of the weakest songs on that album. There are some good ones on this list (when you’ve got that many to choose from…). Even I Appear Missing and If I Had A Tail are better songs than some on that list.

conditionals
June 5, 2013 at 12:23 am

This list is like diamonds…

in shit.

Not really, but I love I’m Designer!

MusicSushi
June 4, 2013 at 11:26 am

Check out Music Sushi’s “Sushi Grade Albums” http://bit.ly/11ivGPh

Rory Biller
June 3, 2013 at 10:43 pm

this was a fail

Rory Biller
June 3, 2013 at 10:43 pm

In no particular order:

Misfit Love, Song For The Dead, God Is In The Radio, Another Love Song, Mosquito Song, The Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret, Better Living Through Chemistry, In The Fade, Regular John, Avon, How To Handle A Rope, Someone’s In The Wolf, The Blood Is Love, “You Got A Killer Scene There, Man”, Smooth Sailing, The Fun Machine Took A Shit And Died, Make It Wit Chu, Infinity, If Only, Spiders And Vinegroons

CDidioT
June 3, 2013 at 2:15 pm

No “In the Fade”?

bovinecrusader
June 5, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Seriously. What’s up with that? At the very least its the best nod to Nick Oliveri’s bass baddassery.

C Bradbury Gray
June 2, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Really…? No one Knows? #1?

Regular John
May 31, 2013 at 9:15 pm

the writer of this article is an idiot and I’ll tell you why after I get off work. damn it!

Red Devil
May 31, 2013 at 6:56 pm

A few misses here… But to me the big miss was You Can’t Quit Me Baby

Pat Dwyer
May 31, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Someone’s in the Wolf is easily top 20, and now we’ve got Smooth Sailing which is a top 5 song.

Thomas O’Mahony
May 31, 2013 at 2:25 pm

You’ve got a killer scene there man, song for the dead, make it wit chu, goin out west, regular John. Most of their best stuff is the deep cuts along with the singles.

Kevin Button
May 31, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Regular John, songs for the dead, make it with chu? DUDE!

jonathonpuff
May 31, 2013 at 9:24 am

Ugh. Regular John? Avon? You Can’t Quit Me Baby? Born to Hula? Songs for the Deaf? Dead? Ugh.

MapleLaugher
May 31, 2013 at 9:27 am

I know ive seen better lists on NME (burn). Sorry COS, usually love your shit!

Rafa Riego Alrich
May 31, 2013 at 2:43 am

well i completely and utterly disagree with this list.
it´s like someone just started hearing queen´s and wanted to put out a list…..-10 points cos

MapleLaugher
May 31, 2013 at 9:26 am

Agreed. Brutal List. Only arguement that it’s not off base, is that I can’t think of a QOTSA song I dislike, and music is about personal taste… but just not even close to what I would say is the top 20. No “Regular John” or “If Only” boggles my mind. I need to drink tequila this list just ruined my day!

RC13
May 31, 2013 at 1:31 am

Make It Wit Chu? or Someones In The Wolf?

Nick Reyes