Watch Fred Armisen’s SNL farewell with Carrie Brownstein, Kim Gordon, J Mascis, Aimee Mann

on May 19, 2013, 12:48pm

Screen Shot 2013-05-19 at 12.30.58 AM

Last night marked the season finale of Saturday Night Live and the final episode for several veteran cast members. Though he hasn’t made a formal announcement, Fred Armisen all but confirmed his departure from the show with an epic, heartwarming musical sendoff during the final moments of tonight’s episode. Armisen’s punk rock alter-ego Ian Rubbish led a star-studded performance of “I’ve Had a Lovely Night” featuring fellow cast members Bill Hader (who’s already announced his exit) and Jason Sudeikis (who’s also “probably” leaving), along with Armisen’s longtime friends and collaborators: Sleater-Kinney/Wild Flag’s Carrie Brownstein (who co-stars on Portlandia with Armisen), Sonic Youth’s Kim Gordon, Dinosaur Jr.’s J Mascis, Aimee Mann, and even Sex Pistols’ Steve Jones.

Last night’s episode also feature Kanye West, who performed two brand new songs. Replay his performance here.

Guest
May 19, 2013 at 12:09 pm

AMEX deal was too lucrative to pass up.

Albert Gazalooch
May 19, 2013 at 2:33 am

Yup…. He’s leaving and so are no less than three other “veterans” from the past 4 seasons. Lorne Michaels has some tough decisions to make starting Monday morning. Who’s replacing those four reliable cast members / writers and which featured players to move up.

SNL is no longer the innovative vehicle it was in the 1970’s. Its now a dumping ground for worn out political humor and recycled sketches with a few slight variations. Nobody watches SNL in real time anymore. Most of us DVR it, play it back Sunday afternoon skipping through commercials, musical guests and half of the sketches. The pain of forcing ones self to watch this garbage more tolerable when you can FF through the watchable segments of the program in 15 – 30 minutes instead of 90.

MVP of WTF
May 19, 2013 at 3:57 am

Every year since the 70’s these questions are always raised and every year Lorne answers them in spades, I have no doubt SNL will come back stronger then ever! Good luck to guys moving on, you have left an indelible mark on one of the greatest comedy shows of all time and I’m sure you will continue to make us laugh in future endeavors :)

Bojorco
May 19, 2013 at 4:02 am

Thanks for telling me how I watch SNL. I’d never have known. I thought I was watching it when it came on in my time zone. I could’ve sworn I wasn’t DVRing it. Now I know!

evewc
July 24, 2013 at 4:06 pm

haters keep hating. You guys really know how to suck the joy out of a room. I need to stop reading comment sections.