CoS Exclusive Features

The 20 Worst Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Snubs

on October 16, 2013, 4:45pm

The 20 Worst Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Snubs

Another class has been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but with it also comes ten times as many snubs. Here’s a list of 20 surprising artists who have yet to receive enshrinement, accompanied with rankings and our semi-formal arguments. Enjoy and let us know who else you’d like to see get inducted next year.

20. Phish

phish7 e1339614714854 The 20 Worst Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Snubs

Number of Years Snubbed: 1

Number of Albums: 11

Chart Performance: “Free”, the first single to their 1996 album, Billy Breathes, peaked at No. 24 on the Billboard Hot Modern Rock Tracks chart and No. 11 on the Mainstream Rock Tracks chart.

Accolades: The band received the Jammys Lifetime Achievement Award on May 7, 2008.

gork57
August 17, 2014 at 12:48 am

Depeche Mode belongs. Over the decades they evolved into much more than the stereotypical 1980s synth-pop band. Many, many bands and musicians have cited them as a key influence (Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins is an example). Even Johnny Cash covered their music (Personal Jesus). Today they continue to produce quality music, and their worldwide following remains as strong as ever. ‘Delta Machine’, DM’s most recent release, is chock full of great tunes.

Lindsay
August 9, 2014 at 2:35 am

Where Is My Mind? More like where is my induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame amirite #teampixie

silverchair74
July 18, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Also, how is Donna Summer and some of these other R&B acts in the hall yet George Michael is not? How the hell does THAT happen? George Michael is way more accomplished than 95% of the inducted members, yet they leave him off? I hate that the hall gets attention every year and they play their show on my TV set….they don’t deserve to be scene ever.
If I was ever in Cleveland I would not go visit. Although they did put the Grateful Dead in, that was one of their smarter moves, but I can’t believe they didn’t dick that up.

silverchair74
July 18, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Phish should 100% be in and if you don’t agree you just do not understand music. I feel bad for people that do not listen to good music because their lives must be so boring and miserable. Pearl Jam, The Black Crowes, Smashing Pumpkins, Silverhchair, Blind Melon, and Widespread Panic should all be first ballot inductees, but we see they have missed the boat on Panic and Phish already. I am sure they will continue to cater to shitty bands and leave out the good ones. Phish still sells out 100 shows a year meanwhile Public Enemy could not sell out a small pub in their hometown of Filthadelphia. How sad is that.

Orangina
July 3, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Whitney at the top? Hmmmmm….I’d say Janet Jackson deserves it before Whitney. Janet wrote or co-wrote on all of this hit records. Whitney didn’t much, if at all.

Was great to see Bjork, Depeche Mode and New Order included.

April 18, 2014 at 3:49 pm

I’m sorry to say, but quite a few of these artists don’t really have much place in something as a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Whitney Houston is mostly a cover-artist. Hardly anything she’s ever written (if she’s done that at all) has ever received accolades or maintained a quality that’s run parallel with the songs she’s covered. A lot of people seem to forget that the songs she’s famous for were not written by her – only covered. In my opinion, that makes quite a bit of the Billboard 100 accolades she’s received rather hollow.
A lot of these artists are either one-hit wonders or have made consistently mediocre music with a few exceptions; Devo being the strongest example of this.

i,ul
April 13, 2014 at 1:53 pm

most of those artists make really shitty music

April 12, 2014 at 6:28 pm

warren zevon

gork57
August 17, 2014 at 1:01 am

Warren Zevon falls into that category of being widely respected by other musicians and fans in the know, but was never big in the sales department. I always thought he was fantastic: original, never catered to trends, and always did his own thing. One of a kind.

Wjkeena
April 12, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Kraftwerk?

gork57
August 17, 2014 at 1:09 am

Absolutely. The founding fathers of electronica, Kraftwerk also profoundly influenced rap, which is really electronic music with non-melodic lyrics. Kraftwerk’s musical tentacles are everywhere–people just aren’t aware of it. Pop icons Coldplay recently did a virtual cover of ‘Computer Love’ with their song ‘Talk’. It’s the only song I’ve ever liked by the band.

Dale
April 12, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Considering that Journey and Phish both suck, I wouldn’t call it a snub so much as quality control.

July 18, 2014 at 1:53 pm

You are a moron. Phish deserves it over everyone else. Silverchair deserves it over these others as well. How do you leave out great bands and put in bullshit like Public Enemy? RRHOF is garbage. Where are the Black Crowes and Pearl Jam……. I don’t get it.

August 9, 2014 at 12:53 am

yo dude, don’t talk shit, public enemy legitimately deserve the award for all the influence they had in the genre. also, it’s just nice to see genres other than rock be acknowledged by the rrhof, though in my opinion, i couldn’t give less of a shit what bands are awarded such a “prestigious” award, as long as a band or artist makes good music that’s all i care about

Mathew Nichols
April 12, 2014 at 4:49 am

Weird Al should be number 1 enough said. Weird Al for life.

Brian Brady
April 12, 2014 at 2:14 am

#1 – RORY GALLAGHER – no ifs, ands or buts, I’m ashamed CoS even forgot him at #1 ! How many Rock n Roll songs has Whitney recorded ????

Mike
April 11, 2014 at 6:41 pm

Uhmmm….Deep Purple, Yes, King Crimson, Judas Priest, Cheap Trick. There’s your Top 5.

Tom Mein
April 11, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Except shes not rock you twit

Michael
April 11, 2014 at 12:25 pm

You (and the rock hall) forgot to mention the Moody Blues.

gork57
August 17, 2014 at 1:16 am

Ah, the Moody Blues. No one else remotely like them, and they had two periods when they put out great music. Very few bands during their ‘classic’ period had harmonies like they did. I still sing the bass part to the chorus of ‘Ride My Seesaw’ every time I play it or hear it on the radio. You can’t forget songs like ‘Isn’t Life Strange’ or ‘Story In Your Eyes’. I always wanted Justin Hayward to do longer guitar solos–they were always so short.