CoS Exclusive FeaturesList 'Em Carefully

Top 20 Hip-Hop Solo Albums

on October 23, 2013, 3:37pm

top20hiphop Top 20 Hip Hop Solo Albums

Virginia Beach duo Clipse, comprised of brothers Pusha T and Malice, released their first album in 1997 and dropped their latest in 2009. But it wasn’t until this month that Push, typically the stronger rapper of the Thornton brothers and always the leading presence, delivered his first solo effort. My Name Is My Name debuted at number four on Billboard on the strength of singles like the Future collab “Pain” and the Kanye-produced monolith “Numbers on the Board”. In our review, staff writer Jon Hadusek said Name is hurt by “a few poor production choices” and “uneven sequencing,” but nonetheless boasts “flashes of real brilliance.” It’s one of the bigger releases of this fall, at any rate, and one of the best.

Name’s arrival – not to mention other recent solo releases, such as Hear Ye Him by the other Thornton, now known as No Malice – had us thinking about some of our other favorite solo efforts which explains this list. But before we digress, allow us some context: An album was eligible for inclusion here only if its creator was better known as a member of a group at the time of release. Inevitably, that left some grey area, as we reluctantly ruled Snoop’s Doggystyle ineligible, but decided Juicy J’s Stay Trippy was fair game, even though Juicy has been better known in the past couple years than he ever was with Three 6 Mafia.

CoS contributors put together the following Top 20, but we also tapped one of our favorite up-and-comers – Denzel Curry, the Florida rapper behind “Threatz” and the excellent new Nostalgic 64 – for a few words on his own favorite solo outing.

–Mike Madden
Associate Editor

'

Louis
August 6, 2014 at 10:31 pm

I’m not sure exactly why but this weblog is loading extremely slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a problem on my end? I’ll check back later and see if the problem still exists.

Sherlyn
July 30, 2014 at 5:04 pm

It’s awesome in support of me to have a site, which is good for my know-how. thanks admin

Richard
July 29, 2014 at 4:45 pm

Kudos. Good post

July 27, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Hi there! This is my first visit to your blog!
We are a group of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche.
Your blog provided us valuable information to work on. You
have done a extraordinary job!

Ronaldo
July 17, 2014 at 2:43 am

‘Pac wasn’t an actual part of Digital Underground, he was just a roadie and dancer at that point. Plus, anytime anyone ever refers to Tupac, it’s TUPAC: Sure, there was the Thug Life record and the Outlawz were featured frequently on his shit, but Tupac was consistently his own guy. He doesn’t quite count.

What pisses me off is a distinct lack of Earl Sweatshirt’s shit on here. Where the fuck is Doris? It actually deserves to be here, funnily enough.

Ham On Whole Wheat
July 17, 2014 at 12:52 am

What about Tical? You give Bun B and Juicy J love but none for Meth? Wow. And what about Pac? Did you forget about his days with Digital Underground? Probably since you decided to give Wyclef a prominent placement instead (WTF?!). Don’t get me wrong – I love me some Big Boi but I think you could’ve used one of those slots for either Tical or Me Against The World.

And lastly – how can you even call this a Top 20 list and omit Guru? facepalm