CoS Exclusive FeaturesHot

I Would Walk 500 Miles: How Far Would You Go for a Concert?

on November 06, 2013, 3:27pm

stlucia lolla kaplan 19 I Would Walk 500 Miles: How Far Would You Go for a Concert?

“I have to go to this.” We’ve all said this at one time or another. Whether fleeting or heartfelt, there’s nothing more important in our lives in that one moment, when our bodies are convulsing with electricity. Sadly, most tend to brush these thoughts aside, labeling them fantasies as they scoff and quietly cry in their cubicle — others don’t.

Because we’re all about sharing our concert experiences lately, we thought we’d celebrate the times we challenged our own obsessions. So, with The Proclaimers’ 1988 hit “I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles)” echoing in our heads, we tore back the pages of our weathered thoughts (and credit card statements) and decided to share our musical adventures.

What we discovered is that we’ve traveled pretty far for music. But we’re sure you have as well, so please share your own conquests below in the comments. Don’t worry, we’re all crazy here.

Azerbaisean (@seanzor)
August 15, 2014 at 11:40 am

Last September 2 friends and I drove 1,794 miles to see the National, Local Natives, and Frightened Rabbit at Red Rocks.

We left at 4am morning of the show, got there at doors, went to bed right after, got up at 6am, and drove home.

Cailan Lefavre
August 15, 2014 at 9:57 am

Umm, thousands of us followed the Grateful Dead from California to Europe and back dozens of times for many years. I stopped counting shows at 400.

jax
August 15, 2014 at 7:29 am

2,250 miles Toronto to Vegas to see Jane’s Addiction.

Aman Aggarwal
August 15, 2014 at 6:47 am

Drove down from Dallas, Tx to Indio, CA in 2010 for coachella. Roundtrip around 3000 miles through L.A.
Travelled from Delhi, India to Barcelona, Spain in 2013, 2014 for Primavera Sound..
Totally worth It.

August 15, 2014 at 12:28 am

I traveled about 550 miles round trip to a festival called Big Guava just this past May. I’m in Miami the festival was in Tampa. The drive was hell mostly because it rained the whole trip up and it rained when i got to the concert. But the headlining act was Outkast on friday, this was on their recent festival reunion tour. I didn’t get close because i couldnt get a band for the pit but they played a hell of a show. More importantly though i went because on the last day Girl Talk was playing in one of the smaller stages. I think that might be the closest down south he’s come and i could not miss that. After Chance The Rappers set (which blew my mind) i stayed at the stage and watched them set up (this was a whole hour he was set to perform). Only 4 other people were there too, they knew just as well as i did that if were there early we could get onstage with him. About 20 minutes before, one of the people that was helping set up asked us if were interested. HELL. YES. the stage was inside what felt like a big gym, or where they would have a rodeo. I was not sure it would fill up because before Chance i kept hearing people in the crowd murmur about who or what Girl Talk (is that a band?) lo and behold just before he started it filled up and the biggest dance party started. It was only an hour and twenty minutes, but it was the best hour and twenty minutes I’d been a part of.

Ryan
August 15, 2014 at 12:24 am

Just this past weekend I drove from Cleveland, OH > Cambridge, OH to pickup friends > Umphrey’s at the Tower Theatre in Upper Darby, PA > Umphrey’s at the Stone Pony in Asbury Park, NJ. 600 miles there and 600 miles back home.

faith
August 15, 2014 at 12:19 am

Chicago to Dublin for Bowie. So roughly, 3657 miles. Would do it again.

Jordy Ribecco (@jordyribecco)
August 15, 2014 at 12:15 am

I will be travelling from Calgary, Alberta to Minneapolis for the Replacements homecoming show! Leaving at midnight after work on an all night flight and getting there in the morning! Heading back home on monday!I’ve travelled to Vancouver numerous times just to see a show (Titus Andronicus, Bruce Springsteen, and a few others), and went to Spain for Primavera which was really cool. I guess festivals don’t really count haha

August 15, 2014 at 12:09 am

2,402 miles Richmond, VA to Las Vegas, Nevada -> Sex Pistols Reunion Hard Rock Hotel (June 7, 2008) only 3 days there/
3,741 miles Richmond, VA to London England -> Led Zeppelin Reunion (December 10, 2007) only 3 days there
(by chance got scalped tickets to see Arctic Monkeys the day before at Alexandra Palace)/
soon…4,824 miles Honolulu, HI to Anchorage, Alaska -> Brand New (September 4, 2014) only 2 days there

Nicole
August 14, 2014 at 10:36 pm

This isn’t really answering the question posed, but I’m willing to admit that I would travel up to Nashville (from SC – about 9 hrs) on a regular basis just to visit Third Man Records just to catch a glimpse of Jack. If you’re not a fan of Jack I understand, but please don’t bash him here. My daughter was driving my car yesterday afternoon and an enormous truck ran right over the frond end of the car (MY car she was borrowing) and I am looking forward to turning off the lights and listening to Jack tonight. Music is all about personal preference and if Jack White can lift my spirits I think just about anyone can appreciate that. :)

Nicole
August 14, 2014 at 10:23 pm

I flew traveled to London to see one of the three sold out shows for the Cream reunion. I don’t know how many miles that is, but it sure took a hell of a long time to get there.

Christopher
August 14, 2014 at 10:07 pm

I flew from Austin, TX, to London to see the Velvet Underground at Wembley Arena June 6, 1993. As a bonus, I got to see the Cure in Finsbury Park a week later!

Loplop
July 27, 2014 at 9:56 pm

When Interpol was on their first nationwide tour in support of their debut album, I was living in Florida. Their closest stop to Ft. Lauderdale was in Atlanta. But I was so smitten with ‘Turn On The Bright Lights’ that I drove nine hours straight to the Georgian venue. At the door, “sold out” sign greeted my weary eyes. I showed the doorman my Florida ID and told him that the only reason I made the trip was to see Interpol. Luckily, he took pity on me and let me in for free. I was elated to get in but as a bonus, the band gave me after show pass.

Keith
May 1, 2014 at 9:57 pm

My wife and I drove from peoria, il to Chicago after work on a Friday, caught a late flight to Raleigh, NC, where we arrived at 1 AM. The next day we got up, hung around and that night went to a Barenaked ladies concert. We made the trip solely because the Beautiful South were opening for them, and we really wanted to see The South live. Got up early Sunday, flew back to chicago and drove home.