CoS Exclusive FeaturesHotList 'Em Carefully

The 20 Most Regrettable Albums Ever

on January 08, 2014, 12:00am

regrettablealbums20 The 20 Most Regrettable Albums Ever

We all make mistakes. That’s why Yikes put quirky erasers on pencils, right? Unless you’re talking about Jeff Mangum or Kate Bush — artists who opt in and out when necessary — pretty much any talented individual stumbles given a long enough timeline. Now, we don’t know any of these artists, and we didn’t prod them for answers, so the idea that any of these 20 albums are “regrettable” in their eyes is a total assumption on our part.

Having said that, we can’t help but wonder how they’d think otherwise.

pshrg
July 14, 2014 at 2:58 am

No qualms about your #1 or #2 choices whatsoever. But let’s be honest, a handful of Dylan albums could contend for his biggest regret ever, and I think “Under the Red Sky” and “Self-Portrait” were more horrifying mistakes than “Empire Burlesque.”

Daily good tunes
July 13, 2014 at 3:16 pm

While I generally agree on the list, you’d think you’d have picked “Lulu” as Metallica’s (and Lou Reed’s, for that matter) rock bottom.

There are a lot of notable (tragicomedic) lyrics I could mention, but “I am the table” stuck in my head as it makes no sense in any context imaginable; their reasons behind publishing such a (both lyrically and musically) poor record is beyond me.

July 13, 2014 at 1:47 pm

So tired of list-based “articles”. And we don’t care about what the worst albums are. People here are looking for good music, and we want to see articles about music that is worth listening to. Not some other’s opinion of some of the most regrettable albums. Lame post, CoS.

pshrg
July 14, 2014 at 3:00 am

I disagree. Criticism is a valid (if, apparently, dying) aspect of rock culture, and talking about mistakes is part of learning about the history of the album.

google
July 12, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Hello friends, how is everything, and what you want to say concerning this article, in my view its genuinely remarkable designed
for me.

forrestcardamenis
May 4, 2014 at 11:48 pm

Two things:

1. How can anybody say Jeff Mangum “opts in and out as necessary”? He opted out and stayed out. He has never opted in.
  2. American Life is a good album. Not quite as good as Ray of Light or Music, but better than anything that came after it.
Karla Anne
May 4, 2014 at 9:09 am

Wow. I’ve never 100% agreed with one of these lists before.

Although, honestly I’d add any weezer album that isn’t the Blue one…. lol

chinese people prefer
April 27, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Magnificent beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a blog website?
The account helped me a acceptable deal. I
had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered
bright clear idea

April 5, 2014 at 11:10 am

Pink Floyd Final Cut

bulgrasspeter corke
July 15, 2014 at 12:50 am

I thought Animals was their low point and Final Cut was excellent. Shows how opinions differ. :)

Insomniac
February 9, 2014 at 9:55 pm

To be fair to Cut the Crap, “This is England” is a decent song.

watertable
February 9, 2014 at 7:34 am

The “young guns” did not play on Zeitgeist, nor were they even in the band yet. Why expect to read a well researched Pumpkins review on the net though?

jayofdajungle
February 8, 2014 at 6:47 pm

I am the hugest Pumpkins fan. I think “Oceania” is right there with their best albums, but “Zeitgeist” is really bad, maybe their only bad album I wanted to like it so badly, but it’s just not good. A couple good songs, that’s all.

February 5, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Zeitgeist is a piece of shit, what the hell are you all talking about?

February 5, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Machina II is the regretable one. This album is preety cool actually.

Cam
February 2, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Agreed Zeitgeist is on of my all-time favourite albums losers.

wolfgang
January 24, 2014 at 5:25 am

How dare you! Zeitgeist is a brilliant album.