CoS Exclusive FeaturesList 'Em Carefully

The 25 Worst No. 1 Pop Songs

on January 15, 2014, 1:38pm

Last year, we rounded up the worst rock songs to ever hit No. 1 on Billboard‘s ever-changing list that tipped off as Top Tracks, evolved into Top Rock Tracks, at once was called Album Rock Tracks, and finally became Mainstream Rock Tracks. It was fun, polarizing, and oddly rewarding. So, we decided to reclaim that magic with a list of the worst pop songs to ever hit No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100. It wasn’t the easiest of tasks — especially given the grueling, headache-inducing listens, oy vey — but, whatever, we did it. And something tells us few arguments will be had over these choices.

Maybe not.

Artwork by Sam Moore; titles by Steven Fiche.

Tom
January 22, 2014 at 12:59 pm

This article looks to be written by a 20-something, hence the emphasis on “hits” of the past decade or so. There’s decades of history this person left out. For example, any list of this type that leaves our THE WORST #1 single of all time–Chuck Berry’s “My Dingaling”–is woefully incomplete.

conditionals
January 22, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Whaaat, “Fireflies” as the worst? That just retroactively cast the whole list in an incredibly subjective light. Yes, it’s an appalling song lyrically, but I always enjoyed the instrumental. To call it the worst of the worst songs listed here is just egregious.

It also encouraged me (somehow) to follow Owl City’s post-fame career, and you know what, most of those newer albums are pretty good. Fluffy shit, yes, but it can hit a spot at some points.

PS – ‘Ice Ice Baby’ is all about the mentally impaired lighting captured in the bottle of those rhymes. LIGHT UP A STAGE AND WAX A CHUMP LIKE A CANDLE.

ChrisTopher
January 30, 2014 at 7:14 am

Wait – how is Fireflies the WORST POP SONG? It’s imaginative, beautiful and nostalgic… catchy, unique and a huge breath of fresh air for the time… That you could mention Soulja Boy and Owl City in the same breath is pretty appalling considering how much the dude cares for his craft. Owl City is literally “like The Postal Service” in that they both use fuzzy synths – the similarities essentially stop there. It’s a lot closer to something like Angels & Airwaves, if anything.

I almost agree with a few of your other choices, but as far as I’m concerned, this whole list is practically rendered null from that last entry…

Allison
March 6, 2014 at 1:19 am

I CALL BULLSH*T. Don’t Worry Be Happy is fluff, but it’s harmless fluff, and it’s prettier and more successful in its mission (causing people to not worry and, in fact, be happy) than any other song on this list (ex: I Gotta Feeling’s grammatical atrocity does not make me insist on feeling. I must feeling? I think not.)

Nic Armour
March 6, 2014 at 9:10 am

what is the point of spreading subjective hate on your blog cos?

Www.Google.Com
March 8, 2014 at 11:35 am

I will right away clutch your rss as I can not in finding your e-mail subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Kindly permit me understand so that I could subscribe. Thanks.

Tori
March 11, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Fireflies sure isn’t the worst! I mean it’s not GREAT but it’s not that awful. What about Beiber or One direction? How about Friday? Fireflies is not the worst song ever!

Zack
April 6, 2014 at 9:38 am

No, no and no. “Fireflies” is not the worst song of all time, maybe not the best but it is certainly not the worst. I think you just added it to the number one spot to try and get a rise out of people.