CoS Exclusive FeaturesList 'Em Carefully

The 25 Worst No. 1 Pop Songs

on January 15, 2014, 1:38pm

Last year, we rounded up the worst rock songs to ever hit No. 1 on Billboard‘s ever-changing list that tipped off as Top Tracks, evolved into Top Rock Tracks, at once was called Album Rock Tracks, and finally became Mainstream Rock Tracks. It was fun, polarizing, and oddly rewarding. So, we decided to reclaim that magic with a list of the worst pop songs to ever hit No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100. It wasn’t the easiest of tasks — especially given the grueling, headache-inducing listens, oy vey — but, whatever, we did it. And something tells us few arguments will be had over these choices.

Maybe not.

Artwork by Sam Moore; titles by Steven Fiche.

Clairbing
September 20, 2014 at 6:17 pm

How about all of Katy Perry’s #1s? They all sound so generic and voice altered. Little girls eat that shit up.

Monika Brodziak
August 12, 2014 at 7:26 am

i bet the authors of these list are a huge fans of Guns’n’Roses or some hipsters fapping to underground stuff. Just people who don’t understand that almost all these songs above are made to let people having fun and release stress by dancing, not to listen lyrics and contemplate them.

uglybassman
August 15, 2014 at 1:23 am

lol, i looked at that list and smiled. except i donno why the hell taylor swift isnt on here. I dont mind this stuff existing but it should not be called music. And its a bummer because kids these days are exposed to it and honestly they are gonna have to smoke a shittt load of weed to free themselves. And there is a lot of good music to dance too it just doesnt come from America.
Trust me if you like any of this shitt, do yourself a favor. Smoke a blunt and listen to the beatles, thats always a good start ;)

Vanita
July 13, 2014 at 12:41 am

What’s up, everything is going sound here and ofcourse every one is sharing facts, that’s in fact good, keep up writing.

marcbrooks
June 30, 2014 at 4:24 pm

I made a spotify list http://j.mp/WorstPop

June 16, 2014 at 5:04 am

wtf, the top 3 are some of the best songs around

Fergalicous Guy
May 24, 2014 at 2:53 am

Pitbull and austin mahone are the worst, but jason derulo is worse than the worst

Trasquete
May 20, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Some of the songs and musicians listed here are great (such as bruno mars or mcferrin’s “don’t worry be happy”). I undeerstand that from a non-musical point of view we could agree that the lyrics are dumb, but go learn some music and then come back and try to tell me that Bruno Mars as a musician and a singer is bad, and that “Don’t worry be happy” is a bad song. Or even better, try to compose a catchy and well thought melody and record everything with only your voice.

May 10, 2014 at 12:00 am

how dare you say that fireflies is a horrible song.

Zack
April 6, 2014 at 9:38 am

No, no and no. “Fireflies” is not the worst song of all time, maybe not the best but it is certainly not the worst. I think you just added it to the number one spot to try and get a rise out of people.

Tori
March 11, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Fireflies sure isn’t the worst! I mean it’s not GREAT but it’s not that awful. What about Beiber or One direction? How about Friday? Fireflies is not the worst song ever!

Kjartan
July 20, 2014 at 10:43 am

Neither Bieber, 1D or Friday have ever hit No. 1.

Sophie1994
July 23, 2014 at 8:02 pm

OK let me get this straight beiber yes is the WORST out there but NOT 1D if any music artist stinks its the ones you like.

Www.Google.Com
March 8, 2014 at 11:35 am

I will right away clutch your rss as I can not in finding your e-mail subscription link or e-newsletter service. Do you’ve any? Kindly permit me understand so that I could subscribe. Thanks.

Nic Armour
March 6, 2014 at 9:10 am

what is the point of spreading subjective hate on your blog cos?

Allison
March 6, 2014 at 1:19 am

I CALL BULLSH*T. Don’t Worry Be Happy is fluff, but it’s harmless fluff, and it’s prettier and more successful in its mission (causing people to not worry and, in fact, be happy) than any other song on this list (ex: I Gotta Feeling’s grammatical atrocity does not make me insist on feeling. I must feeling? I think not.)

ChrisTopher
January 30, 2014 at 7:14 am

Wait – how is Fireflies the WORST POP SONG? It’s imaginative, beautiful and nostalgic… catchy, unique and a huge breath of fresh air for the time… That you could mention Soulja Boy and Owl City in the same breath is pretty appalling considering how much the dude cares for his craft. Owl City is literally “like The Postal Service” in that they both use fuzzy synths – the similarities essentially stop there. It’s a lot closer to something like Angels & Airwaves, if anything.

I almost agree with a few of your other choices, but as far as I’m concerned, this whole list is practically rendered null from that last entry…

conditionals
January 22, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Whaaat, “Fireflies” as the worst? That just retroactively cast the whole list in an incredibly subjective light. Yes, it’s an appalling song lyrically, but I always enjoyed the instrumental. To call it the worst of the worst songs listed here is just egregious.

It also encouraged me (somehow) to follow Owl City’s post-fame career, and you know what, most of those newer albums are pretty good. Fluffy shit, yes, but it can hit a spot at some points.

PS – ‘Ice Ice Baby’ is all about the mentally impaired lighting captured in the bottle of those rhymes. LIGHT UP A STAGE AND WAX A CHUMP LIKE A CANDLE.

Tom
January 22, 2014 at 12:59 pm

This article looks to be written by a 20-something, hence the emphasis on “hits” of the past decade or so. There’s decades of history this person left out. For example, any list of this type that leaves our THE WORST #1 single of all time–Chuck Berry’s “My Dingaling”–is woefully incomplete.