Welcome to the new Consequence of Sound!

on January 21, 2014, 11:54am

Today, we’re pleased to unveil the first phase of our new redesign. It comes almost four years after the launch of our previous facelift and is the culmination of over a year’s worth of work.

In addition to a fresh, sleek interface, Consequence of Sound is now mobile responsive and will look just as great on your iPhone or Android as it does on the web. The homepage is easier to navigate, our content is better presented, and Festival Outlook has been completely revamped.

Again, this is just phase one. In the coming weeks, we’ll be rolling out several more features, including the ability for readers to subscribe to specific artist news and customize their homepage as they see fit. In other words, if you no longer want to see stories about Kanye West, you no longer have to see stories about Kanye West. Your settings will also carry over to our mobile app, which will also soon get a fresh update.

Readers will also be able to offer their own ratings for album reviews and interact with one another via an all-new comment system. And speaking of album reviews, you may notice that we’ve changed the rating scale. After seven years of grading albums on a five-star scale, we’ve decided to switch to a letter-grade format.

At Consequence of Sound, our mantra has always been to offer a one-stop shop for music fans of all kinds, where they can be informed and entertained without feeling “unhip” or alienated. From our around-the-clock music coverage to our sharable listicles, our long-format columns on Aux.Out. to our daily video content highlighted by Rock It Out! Blog, we look to provide a music fan with the ultimate experience and never have a new reason to leave. With our new site, and our many other plans for 2014, we’re one step closer to that goal. So, please take a look around.

On a side note, I’d like to personally thank all the developers at Doejo and members of our staff who poured countless hours into this project, especially to Rinat Khaziev. He’s been subjected to more than a few 3 a.m. wake-up calls in our time together; his passion and dedication to this project was what got us to the finish line.

Happy reading.

– Alex Young
Publisher

t
January 21, 2014 at 1:12 pm

t

n
January 21, 2014 at 1:14 pm

n

Jules
January 21, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Looks great! Congrats COS!

Alison
January 21, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Looks great, but I am saddened to see you truncated your RSS feed. As someone who has subscribed for a long time, follow on Twitter and Facebook, visit the actual site and share links to it on a regular basis, I’ll have to remove you from my Feedly meaning less likely to actually share your content with future fans of COS. Still love you guys, but truncated feeds are lame.

Rinat K
January 22, 2014 at 1:05 am

Hey Alison,

We actually restored feeds to their old state, so enjoy new design and good old feeds.

Zach
January 21, 2014 at 2:34 pm

looks awesome

Steve Jozef
January 21, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Really like the redesign. The new look of the homepage, the new rating system, the ability to change artist subscriptions, RIOB being so prominently featured – it’s all awesome. Nice job guys.

WhenILearnToMilkIt
January 21, 2014 at 5:12 pm

I hate it. But MAYBE I’ll get used to it :)

January 21, 2014 at 6:25 pm

HATE IT

Daniel Torres
January 21, 2014 at 11:41 pm

Really like the new logo. Hope to see great things at the sxsw camp this year.

bry
January 22, 2014 at 9:37 am

the new site looks great but i have one thing i suggest, not having such large pictures in the header banners. they take up most of the screen which means much more scrolling.

Harold
January 22, 2014 at 11:05 am

Harder to navigate homepage with more white space, the need for more scrolling up and down…. horrible.

January 23, 2014 at 9:18 am

hate it. Way to take something that wasn’t broken and screw it up

January 23, 2014 at 10:21 am

Have to say that I’m not the biggest fan. I’m with everyone else below. It’s very loud now and requires much more scrolling, not to mention the plethora of advertisements. One of the reasons I enjoyed your site over Pitchfork and others is the easy navigation. Pitchfork is like a sensory overload in my opinion. I just want to see what I want to see and know where to find it. I feel like you guys are heading in that direction, and it scares me. I think you could have beautified the old site using the same overall aesthetic and framework. Hoping I’m wrong, but I liked it the way it was.

January 23, 2014 at 4:52 pm

yea the new layout BLOWS royally… get the shit working properly