HotList 'Em Carefully

10 Post-2000 Indie Albums You Forgot You Kinda Dig

on February 11, 2014, 12:00am

In 2001, after years of Korn and Britney tyranny, it suddenly became cool to make guitar music again. If you were in a band, you had your choice of two sounds: garage rock and dance-punk. That may be oversimplifying things a bit, but in the wake of the Strokes, the White Stripes, Interpol, and Franz Ferdinand, an awful lot of groups jumped on one of those bandwagons. A lot of them wore conductor hats, and most were pretty terrible. But some were actually decent, and their CDs — as in compact discs, as in you bought ‘em at Best Buy for $9.99 — were the soundtrack to an era everyone seems to have forgotten. It’s time we dig out the following 10 albums and make ‘00s nostalgia a thing.

conditionals
February 11, 2014 at 12:24 am

I listen to a lot of these bands in my shuffle frequently. Was listening to the D4 and Hot Hot Heat just this morning actually.

Ace
February 11, 2014 at 2:52 am

Have to disagree with you guys about the Pretty Girls Make Graves entry there. While any mention of PGMG is worthy, Elan Vital just wasn’t as strong as The New Romance to me (and most). It just lacks the urgency and layers of The New Romance (it also suffers from loss of a integral part of their dynamic guitar one-two punch). Some would argue that TNR lacked the energy of TNR, and I guess that’s true for fans of the more brash, angrier, slightly punkier Good Health. But The New Romance was both brash AND beautiful, and Elan Vital seemed to lack both qualities.

It seems silly to argue over a band that’s been pretty dead in the water for a good seven or so years, but The New Romance stands as one of my favorite albums of the 00′s, so I have to stand up for it when I can. :)

Robert Palmer Plore (@R_PalmerPlore)
February 11, 2014 at 1:59 pm

I get you guys are a bunch of hipster shitbags, but Korn made guitar music. May not be for the Strokes blowing crowd such as yourself, but those are indeed guitars in Korn.

cooperflynn
February 11, 2014 at 2:59 pm

The Wombats- A Guide to Love, Loss, and Desperation…?

Lou
February 11, 2014 at 5:02 pm

pretty shitty list if you ask me. no wonder music had taken an even bigger shit.

JJ
February 11, 2014 at 9:04 pm

bring back this writer–loved his style and insights, and he really knows his stuff. awesome trip down memory lane–now i’m off to download some albums!

healtharea.yolasite.com
February 14, 2014 at 2:53 am

I am grateful for your effort to build this useful webpage.

healthideas.jimdo.com
February 14, 2014 at 9:26 am

I would like to display some appreciation for your hard work to develop this beneficial internet page.

my.opera.com
February 18, 2014 at 1:58 am

You really make it seem so easy with your
presentation but I find this matter to be really something which I
think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for
me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the
hang of it!

April 8, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Simply desire to say your article is as surprising.
The clearness on your post is simply excellent and i could suppose you are
a professional in this subject. Well together with your permission let me to
snatch your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post.

Thanks a million and please continue the gratifying work.