New MusicNews

Listen: Coldplay’s new single “Midnight”

on February 25, 2014, 11:09am

What do we have here? Coldplay has unveiled a new song titled “Midnight” and, by the sound of it, Chris Martin has officially filed away U2’s October, opting instead for Bon Iver’s 2011 self-titled album. Over Eno-inspired landscapes, the UK outfit sound primed for a coffee house over Wembley Arena. It’s a new jacket for Martin, that’s for sure, though it’s not like he couldn’t use a new one (link to that weird jacket).

Might it be for a Justin Vernon tribute album — or, the band’s sixth studio album? While we wait for details, check out the corresponding video, directed by Mary Wigmore, below.

February 26, 2014 at 6:14 pm

they filed away u2’s October but are using U2’s+Eno’s passengers ost album now

Dominic Wardall
February 26, 2014 at 11:02 am

I’m not a fan of Coldplay but this is pretty great… nice to hear them avoiding fruity vocal melodies and predictable song patterns.

AmbCad
February 25, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Needs more guitar. Muse have turned to synths, Maximo Park have turned to synths, every “pop” guitar band apart from them Arctic Monkeys (ambivalent about them, personally) have turned to synths. Bring back Britpop, or at least the stuff that came soon after it. There’s not enough guitar music in the singles charts. And saying it’s “dead and gone” is just a self-fulfilling prophecy.

February 25, 2014 at 12:55 pm

I’m a HUGE Coldplay fan – but NOT a fan of this!!!

David
February 25, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Looks like they’ve given up on appeasing the teen pop audience with their Rihanna/Cyrus obsessions and clearly they are all the better for it. They’ve done some interesting work with Martin’s vocals which, for much of the last two albums, was drowned out in a cacophony of production. Also it looks like they’ve adopted Eno’s winning formula of excellent ambience. Bit of Bon Iver, bit of Sigur Ros even. I think it’s beautiful.

Chad Weeks
February 25, 2014 at 12:28 pm

At first I cringed and thought “WTF?” Then I listened again without expectation and thought it was beautiful. Not sure I will listen to it a lot, but I like it.

concerned louisvillian
February 25, 2014 at 11:58 am

so fucking boring its gross

e.j. friedman (@loudersoft)
February 25, 2014 at 11:18 am

Reminds me more of Imogen Heap than Bon Iver but I get it

Steve
February 25, 2014 at 11:16 am

This does kind of seem like they were going for their best Bon Iver impersonation. I kept waiting for it to explode near the end in typical Coldplay fashion but it never happened. Maybe that’s a good thing though? Would love to have a softer album along the lines of Parachutes, so maybe this is a hint to that (I wish…).