New MusicNews

Watch: Weezer debuts new song “Back to the Shack”

on February 18, 2014, 12:28pm

Artwork by Steven Fiche

Last weekend, Weezer escaped a wintry America and hit the high seas, setting sail on the latest Weezer Cruise. In addition to partying alongside Cat Power, Toro Y Moi, DIIV, and several other Rivers Cuomo-approved acts, the band delivered their own headlining set and debuted a brand new anthem titled, “Back to the Shack”.

Once again, the band remains just as self-aware as anything they’ve put out over the last decade. Cuomo riffs on reality television and even name checks drummer Pat Wilson, and despite the lyrical cheese, the song’s pretty catchy. It also leads into one torrential drum finale, which must have scared a dozen sharks underseas.

Check it out below.

In case you missed it, our recent Alternate History X speculated on what might have happened to Weezer had Pinkerton been a major success in 1996. Add your two cents here.

'

Tony
April 15, 2014 at 2:05 am

Honestly, I’ve bought every Weezer album thats been released. So, I think I’m entitled to give my critique of their products that I’ve paid for. Not sure how that makes me a bad fan? Doubt I’m alone on this one too. Seems to me that there are a lot more annoyed weezer fans out there than happy ones. Does that say anything about the product they’re selling?

Haz
July 21, 2014 at 4:12 am

Wow! A month later you returned to share more BS.
Did you take a poll Tony of how many annoyed and how many happy Weezer fans there are?
Nobody is pushing you to buy their products. If you weren’t impressed with their albums since the Green album
why did you continue to spend money on a band that you no longer enjoyed dumb dumb?
Now your critique for this album is, let’s say, jumping the gun a little considering the only song
you have heard is the above which not only is live but could change by the time they finish wrapping
up the new album…

tony
March 11, 2014 at 1:39 am

Wow! Every few years it’s nice to catch another slap in the face from Weezer. They really don’t forget their true fans huh? Honestly, Rivers has some odd sense of humour doesn’t he? Been carrying on with the same joke since 2000 now? Is the new album gonna be called The 14 Year Joke?

This band had so much bloody promise. Two stellar albums and nothing but dog poop after that. I remember a buttoad of people defending Weezer’s music back when TGA came out. You guys still behind them singing “take me back to the shack?”

World would have been a better place if these dudes deflated their heads about 14 years ago. They turned their backs on a generation of fans who loved them.

Despite my harsh words I still believe there are a couple more great albums left in these guys. Maybe someday.

peo
April 7, 2014 at 5:25 pm

Wow, what a bitter and silly comment. You’re what makes Weezer fans horrible. They’ve had a wealth of great, highly replayable songs since Pinkerton. Get off your high horse and open your ears.

Haz
July 21, 2014 at 4:01 am

WAAAAAAHHHHHHH! . Don’t like the music? Move on, stop buying Weezer stuff if you’re not happy anymore. There are plenty of other bands out there that maybe you prefer so go spend your hard earned cash on them.
I for one grew up with Weezer and love the first 2 albums. Green and Maladroit follow ups both rocked but but the Red album stands so far as one of my faves.

So don’t bother waiting for those great albums they have left in them. Move on bro.