This afternoon, St. Vincent’s Annie Clark became the latest artist to take the plunge into the weird, wonderful world of Reddit. During her 45-minute Ask Me Anything (AMA), she revealed her favorite hip-hop album, ideal sandwich, discussed her musical inspirations and songwriting process, and confirmed that she does indeed like Death Grips.
Here are the highlights:
– Her all-time favorite rap album is Dr. Dre’s The Chronic.
– Aside from guitar her favorite instrument is modular synthesizer, “because there is an element of unpredictability.”
– She described her songwriting process as such: “I collect ideas, words, melodies when I’m on the road. When it’s time to write an album, I go to work every day. 10-7. Day job!”
– Her favorite song to play live is “Bring Me Your Loves”.
– Her favorite Beatles song is “Happiness is a Warm Gun”.
– Her favorite writers are Lorrie Moore, James Baldwin, and Roland Barthes.
– In high school, she listened to Cibo Matto, Solex, PJ Harvey, Nick Cave, Tool, and “lots of jazz.”
– She’s a massive fan of Swans and says working with Michael Gira “changed the way I think about music forever.”
– She used to play in metal bands and noise bands.
– She’d “love” to write a film score. “Attn: Michael Haneke,” she added.
– She uses the word “bitchin!”
– Peanut butter and jelly is her “ideal” sandwich.
– “If you want to fuck shit up, you should definitely fuck shit up”
– Her favorite soccer memory is “a ziplock bag full of orange slices.”
– She loves Arrested Development and really named her debut album Marry Me after the line in the show.
– Her life long dream was to be a musician: “I think if you have a plan b you’ll never do plan a.”
– Her next album? “Maybe a sludgecore record.”
– “I like death grips, yeah!”