What’s your state’s favorite band? Find out now.

on February 25, 2014, 5:15pm

Portlandia aside, I’ve always kept a sharp eye on Oregon. The state’s lush landscape, those cozy towns alongside the Pacific, and the way it’s wedged between Washington and California, all make for genuine living. Now, I’m convinced: They fucking love Kurt Vile.

That is, according to The Echo Nest.

As you can see above, they’ve put together a map of the United States of America with an artist for each state. Those aren’t just frivolous tags, though. As their site’s biography stipulates, The Echo Nest is “the industry’s leading music intelligence company, providing developers with the deepest understanding of music content and music fans.” In other words, places like Rdio, Spotify, and MTV.

Because of this, they were able to dig deep into the numbers and mine out the differences across each state. Personally, I’ve tried to wrap my head around it, but since it’s a mildly complex procedure, let me direct you over to the program’s brain trust Paul Lamere, who’s outlined the process on his own personal blog.

Of course, The Boss gets top billing in Jersey, and Rick Ross reigns king over Florida. However, a close look does warrant some sharp surprises. For one, who would have thought Iowa loved B.o.B. so much? Or that Bonobo could topple all of California, or that Rhode Island were still obsessed with Nevermind? Hey, at least R.E.M. has an idea of where to kick off their potential reunion tour. Maybe Stephen King will show up.

On the other hand, Luke O’Neil knows what’s really up.

Nicolle
February 28, 2014 at 7:47 pm

Michael,

I think this post is very interesting!

I’m from Michigan and I’ve never heard of Young Jeezy. Maybe he’s just not that popular in this part of the state.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that some of my favorite bands are on this map. I absolutely love Bastille; I listen to them ALL THE TIME. I also really enjoy The Naked and Famous, AWOLNATION, The Head and the Heart, and Fall Out Boy. I guess I should move west.

I was surprised to see that artists like Katy Perry, Avicii, and OneRepublic aren’t on the map and people I’ve never heard of, like Jack Johnson and Sufjan Stevens, are on the map. The findings demonstrate that those polled from different regions of our country have different music preferences.

I think it’s really neat that The Echo Nest was able to put together this map. It must have taken a lot of time and data to compile it.

February 26, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Old Blues-#1 in jersey hands down

Chris Harvey
February 26, 2014 at 8:08 pm

I’m glad CoS didn’t put a misleading (read completely false) title on an article just to drive up hits.

jeffrow
February 26, 2014 at 2:42 pm

MICHAEL ROFFMAN You are a idiot!

Jack Foobar
February 26, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Am I out of the loop? I don’t recognize half these people(groups).

palmtree
February 26, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Im from Oregon and ive never heard of him. I would have to say that most Oregonians love the grateful dead.

Deeznutz
February 26, 2014 at 11:40 am

You would think the Echo Nest might want to reassess how they determined these results when Rush came up as #1 in Delaware.

Deana
February 26, 2014 at 9:33 am

I’m in MI…whatever it is, it must be Country and go well with Bud Lite! I like Volbeat….

February 25, 2014 at 10:38 pm

So bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains created an entire sound in Washington, yet you picked the head and the Heart? Are you lost or just dumb?

Will
February 25, 2014 at 10:52 pm

I don’t you think you follow

February 25, 2014 at 9:13 pm

bonobo is bad ass seen them live in fl a few times at fests

February 25, 2014 at 8:17 pm

this is straight dog shit.

Ryan
February 25, 2014 at 6:37 pm

surprised Dirty Heads isn’t Cali

Joe Wiegand
February 25, 2014 at 6:27 pm

It’s not a states favorite band, it’s an average of what artist do people in your state listen to more than people in other states. Say in Kentucky, Fall Out Boy is the 2,500 most popular band but in the rest of the US it’s the 25,000 most popular band. But My Morning Jacket is the most popular band but in the rest of the US it’s the 100 most popular. The difference for Fall Out Boy is 22,500, while My Morning Jacket is only 99– so Fall Out Boy is considered the most distinctive. Make sense?

Ben Val
February 25, 2014 at 5:59 pm

The way I interpret this: It shows the most significant gap between an artist that is heavily listened to in a state vs. not a lot anywhere else. Ex: everybody listens to Springsteen in NJ vs. normal proportion in all other states causing major gaps. It also means only Californians know about Bonobo, NOT that he is the most popular artist in California

Michael Richard Baier
February 25, 2014 at 5:52 pm

How is Fall Out Boy NOT in Illinois? I grew up in the Chicago Suburbs watching Fall Out Boy play in garages and local spots when I was in middle school and high school (AKA: Late ’90s/Early 2000s).

February 25, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Nope. Most people in Florida hate Rick Ross.

February 25, 2014 at 5:41 pm

james blake is from london uk??

Space sheep (@naveobeso)
February 25, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Linkin Park is form California, but the singer it’s from Arizona…

Trey Astbury (@treytweeting)
February 25, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Bonobo for California? I don’t even know who that is.

February 25, 2014 at 5:56 pm

thats because youre not california