CoS Exclusive FeaturesList 'Em Carefully

10 Artists You Either Love or Despise

on March 25, 2014, 12:00pm

For the same reason no one gets “Everlong” or “My Hero” tattoos, late-night arguments about the relative merits of One by One and In Your Honor rarely end in fisticuffs. Foo Fighters simply don’t inspire those types of strong feelings, and while they’re not everyone’s cup of tea, they’re no one’s bottle of pre-colonoscopy MiraLax either. They’re a band you may like and might even love but aren’t likely to become obsessed with, and while pop music is loaded with artists in that same position, some musicians force listeners to draw a line in the sand. What follows is a rundown of 10 artists you either absolutely love or totally freakin’ despise. There’s no in between. You’re with ‘em or against ‘em, and you’ll fight mo-fos who don’t see things your way.

Artistopia
March 28, 2014 at 8:32 am

LOVE Coldplay, Metallica, Skrillex, KISS, and U2. Don’t HATE any of them. Sometimes I more so rate music as “would I pay money to go see them?” I may buy music by some of them but not necessarily pay for the ticket or spend the time to go see them. Dave Matthews is the one local to me, here in Virginia as they are from Charlottesville, VA (used to live there).

Artistopia
March 28, 2014 at 8:25 am

I believe in supporting local AND I do have a greatest hits CD. Can’t say its all out LOVE for the band but I like them.

March 27, 2014 at 3:41 pm

I would have to say Nickleback is not on the list because I know a lot of people that hate them but … nowadays … none that like them and/or will admit it.

Joe
March 26, 2014 at 12:06 am

How do you make a list of artists you love or hate and leave out Nickelback? They’re the ultimate love or hate band cause they’re the most loved and most hated band in the world (and I’m on the hate side).

Me
March 25, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Insane Clown Posse . All day every day.

Andy Alderman
March 25, 2014 at 6:53 pm

The Smiths, Morrissey, Oasis, Mumford and Sons and Jake Bugg

Lydia Ross
March 25, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Belle and Sebastian seem to have that effect too.

James
March 25, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Will probably take heat for this, but I really can’t stand The Black Keys. Very uninteresting music, in my opinion, and so many people love them.

Kevin Bastian
March 25, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Tom Waits.

bagaskawarasan
March 25, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Yeah Metallica….. \m/

Steven Hatley (@requiemofnoise)
March 25, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Agree with a lot of these. Phish, Morphine, Nickelback, Switchfoot, Cake, Flaming Lips, and The Grateful Dead could easily make the list.

Kyle
March 29, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Morphine…?! Mark Sandman is/was one of my favorite singers, but who ever hated them?

profamaretto
March 25, 2014 at 3:31 pm

I would throw Rush on here too. Otherwise, solid list.

March 25, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Good list, def could see Phish on it, but overall great list. And props for acknowledging that Vampire Weekend is hated by many, despite the obvious positive stance on them displayed by COS.

Ben
March 25, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Eagles

Robert Palmer Plore (@R_PalmerPlore)
March 25, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Yeah dude Phish. Oh and well EVERY FUCKING BAND HAS HATERS SO PUT EVERY FUCKING BAND ON HERE.

T.J.