No one saw Sgt. Pepper’s or Sandinista! coming. Neither sounded like anything anyone had done before, and they’re emblematic of why The Beatles and The Clash are two of the most important rock bands of all time. They took crazy risks, even though it meant alienating a lot of the teenyboppers and punk purists who’d made them famous and afforded them the luxury of experimenting. That anything-goes spirit is often lacking among today’s artists, perhaps because the Internet has created a culture of niche audiences with very specific tastes, but it hasn’t completely disappeared. Through their music and/or offstage antics, the following 10 artists keep us guessing, risking our goodwill in the name of creativity. It’s a gamble the greats always take.
10 of the Most Unpredictable Artists in Music Today
Artists who keep us guessing in the name of creativity.
on March 12, 2014, 1:39pm
The Rapture’s 10 Best Songs
Want more? Follow us on
- 1Lollapalooza 2015 Festival Review: From Worst to Best
- 2Mos Def joins Kendrick Lamar for "Alright" at Osheaga -- watch
- 3Florence and the Machine face off against lightning storm for epic Lollapalooza set
- 414 unreleased Nirvana demos mysteriously surface online -- listen
- 5Lollapalooza evacuated due to dangerous weather conditions
- 1Mos Def joins Kendrick Lamar for "Alright" at Osheaga -- watch
- 2Billy Corgan addresses his trip to Disneyland: "What the fuck do you want from me?"
- 3Cleveland State University students chant Kendrick Lamar's "Alright" in protest against police
- 41,000 diehard fans campaign for Foo Fighters' concert with giant performance of "Learn to Fly"
- 5All it took was a 1,000-person performance of "Learn to Fly" to compel Foo Fighters to visit Cesena
- 1Drake responds to Meek Mill with new diss track "Charged Up" -- listen
- 2Watch the first trailer for anti-superhero epic Suicide Squad
- 3Cast of Back to the Future reunites to mark film's 30th anniversary
- 4Mos Def joins Kendrick Lamar for "Alright" at Osheaga -- watch
- 5Billy Corgan addresses his trip to Disneyland: "What the fuck do you want from me?"