No one saw Sgt. Pepper’s or Sandinista! coming. Neither sounded like anything anyone had done before, and they’re emblematic of why The Beatles and The Clash are two of the most important rock bands of all time. They took crazy risks, even though it meant alienating a lot of the teenyboppers and punk purists who’d made them famous and afforded them the luxury of experimenting. That anything-goes spirit is often lacking among today’s artists, perhaps because the Internet has created a culture of niche audiences with very specific tastes, but it hasn’t completely disappeared. Through their music and/or offstage antics, the following 10 artists keep us guessing, risking our goodwill in the name of creativity. It’s a gamble the greats always take.
10 of the Most Unpredictable Artists in Music Today
Artists who keep us guessing in the name of creativity.
on March 12, 2014, 1:39pm
- 1The Cure announce North American tour for 2016
- 2Will Smith says he's recorded 30 new songs, going on tour with DJ Jazzy Jeff next summer
- 3Austin City Limits 2015 Festival Review: From Worst to Best
- 4Hear an early version of "Sappy" from upcoming Kurt Cobain solo album
- 5Kanye West is "definitely" running for president: "It's not about me, it's about we right now"
- 1Austin City Limits 2015 Festival Review: From Worst to Best
- 2The Cure announce North American tour for 2016
- 3Will Smith says he's recorded 30 new songs, going on tour with DJ Jazzy Jeff next summer
- 4Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s The Walk is causing movie-goers to vomit in theaters
- 5Download: Drake and Future's new mixtape What A Time To Be Alive
- 1Download: Drake and Future's new mixtape What A Time To Be Alive
- 2Eddie Vedder and Beyoncé cover "Redemption Song" -- watch
- 3I'm not even kidding, Pope Francis is releasing a prog-rock album called Wake Up!
- 4Chris Cornell performs powerful cover of Prince's "Nothing Compares 2 U" -- watch
- 5Ranking: James Bond Theme Songs From Worst to Best