Andrew Bird has never shied away from a good cover, having taken on country icons Townes Van Zandt and The Carter Family on his 2012 album Hands Of Glory as well as the classic folk ballad “Auld Lang Syne” for a Starbuck Christmas compilation. Now, the singer, songwriter, and loop pedal mastermind tackles Canadian indie rock with an old-timey version of The New Pornographers’ Mass Romantic cut “The Fake Headlines”. Featuring Bird lightly strumming and plucking a violin while serenading with his charming backup vocals, the cover feels right at home with the intimately acoustic vibes of his recent output. Listen in below.
The cover is part of Good People Rock, a forthcoming compilation album from the Montreal-based charity organization Yellow Bird Project. The upcoming 10-track release also features contributions from Hayden, Elvis Perkins, Whispertown, Keaten Henson, Alec Ounsworth, and more covering the likes of TV on the Radio, Rilo Kiley, Metric, Hot Chip, Beach House, Sharon Van Etten, and others.
Good People Rock is currently being funded via a PledgeMusic crowdfunding campaign, with proceeds going to finalize the album (mastering, artwork, distribution, etc). Rewards include t-shirts, vinyl, poetry zines, and more. Watch the album trailer and check out the tracklist below.
Good People Rock Tracklist:
01. Andrew Bird – “Fake Headlines” (The New Pornographers)
02. Hayden – “Family Tree” (TV on the Radio)
03. Elvis Perkins feat. Alec Ounsworth – “Mexican Ritual” (Alec Ounsworth)
04. Whispertown – “Give A Little Love” (Rilo Kiley)
05. Micah P. Hinson – “Not One Bit Ashamed” (King Creosote)
06. King Creosote – “Take It In” (Hot Chip)
07. Alec Ounsworth – “How’s Forever Been Baby” (Elvis Perkins)
08. Keaton Henson – “Take Care” (Beach House)
09. Dry the River – “Satellite Mind” (Metric)
10. T E Morris – “Much More Then That” (Sharon Van Etten)