New MusicNews

Listen: Kendrick Lamar and Tame Impala’s new song “Backwards”

on March 07, 2014, 11:13am

What’s likely one of the most anticipated tracks off the star-studded Divergent soundtrack has finally been unveiled. Even with Kendrick Lamar’s recent infatuation with Imagine Dragons and indie-rock, his collaboration with Aussie psych-rockers Tame Impala still seems right out of left field. Bust as he did with the “Radioactive (Remix)”, Kendrick proves he’s a force to be reckoned with no matter the setting.

“Backwards”, an updated version of Tame Impala’s own “Feels Like We Only Go Backwards”, begins with an all-out assault from K-Dot, as he rallies his troops with a series of battle cries. Meanwhile, Tame Impala’s radiant soundscapes have been fleshed out by a lush string section.

Listen to the track below and the rest of the Divergent soundtrack at Pitchfork. The soundtrack is due out on March 11th. The film hits theaters on March 21st.

Divergent Soundtrack Tracklist:
01. Zedd – “Find You” (feat. Matthew Koma and Miriam Bryant)
02. Ellie Goulding – “Beating Heart”
03. Pia Mia – “Fight for You” (feat. Chance the Rapper)
04. Ellie Goulding – “Hanging On” (I See MONSTAS remix)
05. Snow Patrol – “I Won’t Let You Go”
06 Woodkid – “Run Boy Run”
07. Tame Impala and Kendrick Lamar – “Backwards”
08. M83 – “I Need You”
09. A$AP Rocky – “In Distress” (feat. Gesaffelstein)
10. Pretty Lights – “Lost and Found” (ODESZA remix)
11. Skrillex – “STRANGER” (feat. KillaGraham From Milo & Otis & Sam Dew)
12. Big Deal – “Dream Machines”
13. Ellie Goulding – “Dead in the Water”
14. Woodkid – “I Love You” (Deluxe Track)
15. Banks – “Waiting Game” (Deluxe Track)
16. Ellie Goulding – “My Blood”

TDK AKA IVCc
May 25, 2014 at 1:43 am

Kendrick lamar is da best jac look frm zero 2 hero u rock nigger

Mark
March 9, 2014 at 11:29 am

Definitely admirable but I’ve never really liked Kendrick’s “aggressive voice”. Just sounds like he’s straining to me. Especially when paired with an instrumental that doesn’t call for it like this one.

Sia-Deniche Matturi
March 8, 2014 at 1:29 pm

I feel like it might have been better if someone like Chance The Rapper did it, Kendrick’s bars were way too aggressive for the sweeping wave of sound that you get from Tame Impala.
I did really like the extra strings added though, even if the production was a tad sloppy overall.
Nevertheless, it was a interesting collab and I’d love to hear more stuff along these lines.

Evan Bozarth
March 7, 2014 at 4:38 pm

My review: Lamar’s rap is too aggro for that dreamy hook…but then, most ‘bad mood raps’ are annoying to me…but nice lyrical phrasing, all behind the beat n shit…pretty sloppy on the production side..never really settles into the groove until it hits the outtro, but then shit is bumpin- that ending loop shoulda been the whole track.. overall, i give it 2.5 tacos. a resounding meh.

fuel2thefire
March 7, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Reblogged this on fuel2thefire and commented:
Interesting

beatsbreaksandshakes
March 7, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Reblogged this on Beats, Breaks and Shakes.

Jorden
March 7, 2014 at 12:08 pm

just got done listening.. interesting collab but i’ll take the original any day.